Sigmund Freud

First of all, is he worth reading? If so:

>What is his most influential work?
>Is it all bullshit?
>What are the greatest works of criticisms against him?
>And is there somthing that he wrote that is not bullshit, and is worth reading?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=L5PwHGWg1Mg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Memory_Wars
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

freud smoked a dozen cigars a day and fucking rangewalked during lunch. he was a manic lunatic.

read Jung.

youtube.com/watch?v=L5PwHGWg1Mg

He also used cocaine

Freud is dead. Biggest problem is that his claims aren’t scientific. Psychoanalysis is not a valid way to understand the problems people have, and it doesn’t work in helping people with those problems.

Read Albert Ellis instead. GOAT

What are some of the main works of psychology to read? I want to read William James.

Freud is worth reading as a comedy

t. Nabokov

>Biggest problem is that his claims aren’t scientific
And yet he still formed the basis of nearly all modern psychoanalysis and philosophy.
>Psychoanalysis is not a valid way to understand the problems people have, and it doesn’t work in helping people with those problems.
LOL oh I'm sorry I didn't realize you were retarded.

Albert Ellis was a pioneer in CBT and a pretty big self help author, so that’s where I’d start, specifically “A Guide to Rational Living” and “How To Refuse To Make Yourself Miserable About Anything — Yes Anything!”

Don’t let the self help angle fool you though, he was very rigorous in his theory. There’s a lecture on YouTube that he did called “How to Be a Perfect Non-Perfectionist.” I’d watch that to get the gist.

>And yet he still formed the basis of nearly all modern psychoanalysis and philosophy.

I didn't say he wasn't influential.

>LOL oh I'm sorry I didn't realize you're retarded

Psychoanalysis has shown to continually not have worked (unlike psychoTHERAPY). This is the reason why Cognitive Therapy became so popular (as well as the ineffectiveness of antidepressants). For example, the reason for your disorder can change with analysts. One will say your small penis makes you talk less to get less attention, another will say you talk less because your mother called you ugly whenever you opened your mouth. It's all interpretation with infinite possibilities. If anything it only makes you feel worse because now you hate yourself for your small penis or your father.

And how would knowing any of that, if it were true, help you solve your problem at all? (it wouldn't)

Wring, wrong, wrong; kys.

the way balancing humors paved the way for modern medicine. i guess the intention was at least the same

He's not so much interesting for his kooky ideas so much as his massive influence and the way psychoanalysis has enabled and opened up a vast space for critical theory to shine. Key Freudian concepts however are spot on imo and have lived on through multiple different thinkers and schools, which attests to their durability and (most importantly) adaptability. However, that doesn't change the fact that tons of people who he influenced are hacks, but that's the problem with the open ended nature of psychoanalysis.

Read Freud if you want something interesting. Don't take his stuff as gospel or anything though, yah know what I mean?

it is interesting stuff

>Read Jung
This desu. If you ever even quote Freud you'll just be berated with "Freud not real psychology, Freud was nuts, Freud is pseudoscience, sex ur mom lol"

>Read Jung
I don't want to be shilled religion. Pass

Civilization and its discontents,
If you can get it from the library.

maybe if you talk to brainlets. freud is much more respected than jung in clinical and analytic institutions.

Yes, freud was a lunatic
Now read the guy who unironically wrote a book about magic

>What are the greatest works of criticisms against him?
Frederick Crews - Memory Wars
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Memory_Wars

Robert Wilcocks - Maelzel's Chess-Player: Sigmund Freud and the Rhetoric of Deceit

Max Scharnberg, The Myth of the Paradigm-Shift, or, How to Lie with Methodology

Ernest Gellner, The Freudian Movement: The Cunning of Unreason

and of course
Kevin MacDonald - Culture of Critique

>rangewalked during lunch
nigga pls
they just cant write "visit prostitute" in those schedule charts of famous people

Psychoanalysis is literally a dead meme