Ulysses, the single most significant artwork of the 20th century, was first published in March 1918

>Ulysses, the single most significant artwork of the 20th century, was first published in March 1918
>it is now almost March 2018
>there has not been a single notable literary achievement for the entirety of the 21st century thus far,
let alone one that can be mentioned in the same breath as Joyce's Ulysses
Is anybody else getting worried about the future of literature?

Where is our Ulysses? Where is our Personae? Where is our Buddenbrooks? Where is our Swann's Way? Where is our Metamorphosis?

All of these works had been published before the end of the second decade of the 20th century. It is not the end of the second decade of the 21st century and there is nothing, absolutely nothing that can compare.

I'm starting to panic. Why are critics STILL shoving this sullen Negroid middlebrow filth down our throats? Why are they STILL jerking off to glorified sitcoms like Cat Person and Johnathan Franzen? Why are they STILL jerking off to affirmative action magical realists like Junot Diaz and Toni Morrison? THEY GAVE THE MOST IMPORTANT PRIZE IN LITERATURE TO A POP STAR WHO LOOKED COOL IN SUNGLASSES WHEN THEY WERE TEENAGERS.

Is literature, the most enduring and beautiful human activity known to man, an ancient and holy art dating back to the 30th century BC, an art that has shaped the course of billions of lives and stands personally responsible for all of civilization's lesser accomplishments... dead?

Just like that?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JEY9lmCZbIc
youtube.com/watch?v=HbuFPpiJL1o
cosmoetica.com/American
youtube.com/watch?v=JHIm8l19D3Y
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Is literature, the most enduring and beautiful human activity known to man, an ancient and holy art dating back to the 30th century BC, an art that has shaped the course of billions of lives and stands personally responsible for all of civilization's lesser accomplishments

imho the most enduring and beautiful human activity known to man is doing math, but I'm not an avid reader and I don't want to distract from your crisis.

>>there has not been a single notable literary achievement for the entirety of the 21st century thus far

are you waiting for a fucking segment on the ellen show to find it or something?

>the most autistic art known to mankind is also the most "enduring and beautiful"
OP, the answer to your question is pretty fucking obvious. All art has become commodified. The value of a piece of art is determined by its appeal to the masses. The masses have shown that they LOVE shallow garbage. Therefore, the incentive to create great art has vanished. Art now bows before what the market wants. A 21st century Ulysses could not exist (at least, not in the 21st century that we yet know).

Honestly how are we going to write anything worth reading without a decent war? If you want good modern literature then pray for ww3.

all the potential writers of these potential great works are too busy shitposting on Veeky Forums and jerking off to anime tiddies
lookin at you, OP
myself included as well

My Struggle maybe? It's similar somewhat to Proust.

This. Also, 2666 is already supplanting One Hundred Years of Solitude as *the* Latin American novel.

Is it THAT good?

Personally, I think so. I liked it better than 100 Years of Solitude. But that's beside the point. Regardless of how I feel, the critical consensus seems to be shaping up that way.

English lit is dead.

But not the rest of the world.

what was the ulysses of 1800-1818?

Didn't think so, fucking retarded thread

Bolaño seems to be HUGE outside of chile. Here we have a literary prize with his name but hes fairly unknown by the masses.

This, OP fell for the novel meme.

>Faust (Part One)
>Jerusalem
>Ozymandias
>Rob Roy
>Grimms' Fairy Tales
>William Tell
Are all achievements worthy of comparison to Ulysses. You Panglossian retard

>Personae
>Metamorphosis
>novels

Yeah, while the average person in the US hasn't heard of him, anyone with a passing interest in literature will at least know who he is. I wonder why he's less well known in his home country.

:^)

The vet clinic sent me a card with all their names on it saying "I'm so sorry for your loss". I cynically believe they do this so they can make more money.

Because it wasnt brainlet magical realism, like with isabel allende. She got a recognizable brand and sucked mad money from it. People still wont be able to tell what did Bolaño write.

Get into people like Pynchon and Perec I guess
All the middlebrow college kids here know him and hold him as if he was some sort of rockstar

>is the category of art i hilariously think is older than the enlightenment dead now that culture is dead and we live in eternal megalopolis

How's math doing right now

infrarealism, duh

Theory of numbers got debunked but everyone is acting like it didnt happen because who gives a fuck

Got a link?

>implying thomas mann isnt crap

I think it's because he didn't romanticize his country like Garcia Marquez and was pretty anti establishment. Bolaño wrote about the sheer brutality and the destroyed dreams of South America and that's something a lot of people don't want to read about, because they live it everyday.

But what do I know? I'm a pasty gringo

*whips self*
I'm sorry for offering my opinion
*whips self harder*
I'm sorry for being white
*draws blood*
Latin American literature is good

Yes, but most people here dont give a fuck about his edgy """anti-establishment""" posture, aside from commie college kids who think they are hot shit because they drink cheap beer and smoke weed.
2666 is great but the guy is really overrated. He would be embarresed if he could see the amount of corny shit that publishers push to sell his image, but he wanted to leave money for his family so I guess he succeded.

Same with music. There isn't a decent composer born after 1950

Implying canonical composers wouldn't have loved to explore all the new things electronics makes possible in music
Good music is still being made.

Bullshit.

Damn..... pretty much this tbqh desu senpai famalam

>
>Implying canonical composers wouldn't have loved to explore all the new things electronics makes possible in music
True.
>Good music is still being made.
Retard.

How much contemporary fiction do you actually read? How much of your knowledge of contemporary fiction comes from mainstream sources? How much of what you have read was published by a big 5 publisher?
Consider the publication histories of the works you mentioned. Buddenbrooks didn't gain success until a second edition was publised two years later. Swann's Way had to be self-published, and Ulysses was first printed by Sylvia Beach, and that was just 1000 copies.
I'll also ask this; of the contemporary work you're reading, how much of it was independently or even self-published to little initial hype outside the community the writer belongs to?

Lolita>Ulysses

It's basically a lesser In Search of Lost Time, a lengthy and readable rumination on a life that adds little to nothing to what Proust set forth with his own work.

uuh we have infinite jest brainlet

t. pseuds who can't into experimental music

>the point of music is to be an experiment

John Cage fan detected

Not really, but if you're the type to judge art by how innovative it is or how it uses new ideas, that's where you go. There's obviously way more to music than that but for anyone saying music died with the classical composers, this is a way to break out of that mindset.

I would've unironically posted a dub album but you've got to cater to your audience

This is very simplistic. Not bad but the thread wasn't about how literally every book after Ulysses sucks, just that nothing else has come close. I would say the Ulysses of classical is Schoenberg's Piano Concerto.

youtube.com/watch?v=JEY9lmCZbIc

good post

What the absolute fuck is this?

The goals for art have changed. I personally don't think Ulysses is the be-all-end-all of literature, but to say nothing has come close misses the point. Why would anyone be trying to achieve the same goals as James Joyce a hundred years later? Same goes for music.

I'm not saying they should be the same but since Cage and Babbitt, musical academia has been pursuing goals that are worthless. Personally I think there should be some serious investigation of microtonality within a "tonal" idiom.

youtube.com/watch?v=HbuFPpiJL1o

Did you understand Ulysses just by reading it straight through once?

a 100 year dry spell isn't that long in the grand scheme of things. compare around 500-400 BC to 600-700 AD, for example. we might be at a low point compared to the recent past but that doesn't mean things won't pick up again

>the latin american novel
>these fags don't even know about Big P and Huge A.
man, do some research, those two books are trash compared to these edifices. I doubt you'll ever find them, however.

Want to name some names instead of just posturing?

>there has not been a single notable literary achievement for the entirety of the 21st century thus far,
*kertwangs your path*

Get on the Dan wagon

cosmoetica.com/American Imperium.htm

Nah, i'll let you suffer because you can't look past the typical bullshit alone. I earned these magnificent works of latin literature. I assure you, that I am not merely posturing, but basking in their glory. I can safely say that Big P alone makes 100 years look like a pamphlet even Borges wouldn't wipe his ass with.

There's been tons of great literature since Ulysses, you just have an huge boner for modernism so you can't recognize it.

FW > Ulysses

*blocks your path*

>I assure you that I'm not merely posturing
posturing confirmed

>implying you even understood FW

>Ulysses, the single most significant artwork of the 20th century
[citation needed]

I'm posturing, sure, but only my power to discover literature you can't. For god's sake, why would I share this literature with a pleb like yourself? The reward is not only the pursuit, but the acquisition of magnificent literature! Go look for better latin lit, it's out there. I bet I could find it without knowing their names within a few hours.

Literature is dead.

Bro, I can assure you this faggot is full of shit or he is talking about some brazilians nobody else in the continent gives a fuck about, and in which case

>uma delicia

Doesn't matter, there'll still be plenty for you to read before you die.

Tell us 5 books you’ve read from the 2010s.

>brazil
hehehehehehehehahahahahaha
not even close, well geographically, i suppose.
let's be honest, you guys can't do simple research, so clearly you'll never find anything worth reading. I suppose it's just a matter of research. I'm pretty damn satisfied.

The fact that they're so little known fills me with joy. It's like I have a secret you guys will never know of. I'll give you 3 guesses of what Big P is.

Oh dude, I hope you know that anything north of colombia is irrelevant and not considered part of the latin american artistic circle. It's just indian shit and pity-yankees.

You're pretty desperate to dismantle the possibility that I am reading something superior to the typical latin american works people shuttle out onto the social media stage. Do some research. I'm starting to feel sorry for you.

No, man. I commend you for doing so. I always shill here latin american authors. I'm just reminding you that anything north of colombia is indio trash.

I have zero idea about American literature, but I've heard of a few writers who look interesting, including some guy who wrote a novel about the internet age. Haven't read. Pynchon and other greats have kept publishing too. Some translations of Homer appeared, and many of the tragedians.

In my language, valter hugo mãe wrote some good stuff, and so did Milton Hatoum; Érico Nogueira is on the way to become a master; Bruno Tolentino published a marvelous book (O Mundo Como Ideia) and one which I am not properly qualified to judge (A Imitação do Amanhecer); Cláudio Neves is a pretty fine poet; Paulo Henriques Britto continues publishing; Trajano Vieira and Haroldo de Campos wrote great translations of the Greek classics etc. Oh, and there's always the great Lobo Antunes, a genius. Antunes mentions a lot of Portuguese poets in his interviews, and once said Portugal has some fifteen or so fine poets currently writing, but their works are very hard to get here in Brazil, since they aren't really published here, so I haven't read them, and neither have I read other Portuguese writers who are also becoming famous, such as Gonçalo M. Tavares etc.

The Portuguese language has certainly been healthier, but this isn't the end of the world either. Just consider that in the 90's Gerardo Mello Mourão published a great poem (of which I've read only parts - it's expensive... But his other long poems are masterpieces), Cunha Mello wrote Yakala, and Tolentino published his first books. It was also a good decade for Nelson Ascher (Algo de Sol, Poesia Alheia), Haroldo de Campos (who wrote some long poems) and others. Probably our best decade since the 50's? In Portugal, both Saramago and Lobo Antunes wrote masterpieces.

I can't believe it took me this long to realize you're the Brandposter

Actually one of them is from mexico, you might be surprised. But doubt not the pedigree of the other, no finer locale in the Latin Americas could it call home.

no idea who the fuck that is, but i'm now curious, have any posts from this person?

>rating a mexican

Lol. I pity you.

You're missing out dearly.
The other you would have no qualms with my suggesting, I don't devote any credence to your judgement, however, as you don't even know Big P. Let alone Huge A.

Lol don't act like you don't know. Everyone knows there's no substance behind what you say.

>>there has not been a single notable literary achievement for the entirety of the 21st century thus far,

You're forgetting 奈良原一鉄's 装甲悪鬼村正.
youtube.com/watch?v=JHIm8l19D3Y

Are unfamiliar with the great E?

Let us just say the man Ezra Pound called the greatest poet to appear after the war thought the great E was better than Tolstoy.

I genuinely have no idea who you're referring to. I'm sure you're very certain about your considerations, however, I am no such entity.
I'm actually a mulatto that occasionally comes through and rants about how the ghetto was, or that Constance Garnett was the greatest translator to ever live, and who invariably gets into some argument about Tolstoy being a slave rapist. I have no idea who this Russel Brand poster is, but I just wanted you to know so you didn't get too confident in your ability to read people online and either embarrass yourself or get a generally incorrect impression. You're just wrong.

Eliot?
Anyway, Big P is not an author's name, but rather a novel. Same with Huge A.

You might want to consider posting in a way that keeps people from believing you're one of the dullest trolls on the board, then.

I don't really care. I never post the same way, I change repeatedly, in fact, I couldn't hold the same prose if I wanted, which is why I write short stories. Anyway, it's not my fault that your reading comprehension leads you to believe that I'm someone I'm not. It's your fault, as I am obviously not them, which is evidenced by the fact that I know who I am, and despite the anonymity of this place, I am quite certain who I am not, well enough to establish your inadequacy to distinguish one person from another by their writing, for my personal purposes, at the very least.

Do you really think that if you lived in 1918 you would have heard of Ulysses when it came out and everyone would have immediately recognized it as a masterpiece?
How many contemporary books do you read every year, anyway?

Pynchon is writing it right now
finis coronat opus

You're pathetic.

This.

rather good progress wise, but the culture is getting shitty in many different ways

>Latin American literature is good
a true fact.

Find the rising star T. European. I'll be back in three hours to see your work.
Pity clue: He calls his lovers Lolita, but I only know that because I did my research :^)

Those who would have written great literature are in different mediums now such as video games.

How new are you? IJ is 20th century.

Lincoln in the Bardo
What Happened
Umm.....

*blocks your path*

>makes 100 years look like a pamphlet even Borges wouldn't wipe his ass with.
not hard desu

The Pale King

Finnegan's Wake contains the recipe for Eternal Life. If only you could read it.

does anyone else the world is coming to an end??????