What does Veeky Forums think of psychedelics?

What does Veeky Forums think of psychedelics?
I believe they are a short cut to achieving what Hinduism calls moksha or oneness with Brahman

i minidose lsd every other day

fuck off druggies
stop trying to normalise your childishness and degeneracy

how did you come to take this stance on drug use?

user, explain your reasoning.

Nice. Do you think it’s beneficial? (does it help with productivity, focus etc?)
I’ve taken some larger doses of LSD 3 times an unfortunately I was too much of a brainlet to get anything out of it besides “muh pretty colours and patterns”
The second 2 times were a complete nightmare because I mixed alchohol with it, so I ended up going to literal hell and back (my current mental situation was extremely dismal as I was in an extremely cancerous relationship). I don’t think I’ll do it again but now that I’ve learnt more I can appreciate my past experiences for what they were.

this

when did this board become "Veeky Forums - Literature and Drugs"?

Consciousness is created by chemicals and psychedelics are simply chemicals that interfere with the normal functioning of your consciousness. This is what we know to be true. I'm sure your "oneness with Brahman" feels very real, but if you observe someone who's high while you're sober, it becomes abundantly clear that, far from being in some sagelike communion with the divine, they're just temporarily insane. As far as I've seen, psychedelics can be useful for inspiration, but thinking that the drugs trips themselves are granting you some kind of enlightenment or higher state of consciousness is like believing your dreams are real and you actually leave your body and go to another world when you're asleep. It's just not justifiable given what (admittedly little) we understand about the mind.

Psychs can be nice for the realization of what life has to offer purely becoming aware of the enormous power of unconscious, thoughts emotions etc. one couldn't have imagined previously. I'd say trip no more than 1-3 times.

checked
also this goes especially for those that repress feelings

>believing your dreams are real and you actually leave your body and go to another world when you're asleep
He doesn't know

responsible drug use is fine, reverend robinson

feeling real = is real

this is true, also satanic trips, checked

There's nothing to do and nowhere to go

Checked

Psychedelics can offer you a lot if you prepare yourself, which is the same as what can be said for meditation and asceticism, expect much faster.
It's very difficult to achieve satori/avidya by tripping without any preparation, you need to have some idea about what you're contemplating before you can have a breakthrough.
Except with DMT, that is. With DMT it just grabs you when it wants to and shows you whatever it wants to.
Also, to keep this literature realted, I was wondering if anyone here's read McKenna or Schulgin and if they can rec any of their literature? I'm curious if they ever make any interesting or profound points or if it remains boring chemisty terms and/or pseudospiritual nonsense.

>feeling real = is real
No, unfortunately it doesn't.

McKenna argued that human consciousness might have evolved due to shrooms in Africa

He's ok though, talks about shamanism and such but you'd be better off studying indigenous religions IMO

>satori/avidya
I think you mean vidya user

that picture is kind of accurate

yes for me microsing/minidosing helps with concentration and interest a lot. makes reading math deleuze or abstract writing enjoyable while still trudging line by line

Schulgin is to Kant as McKenna is to Hegel if that helps

What's the difference between reality and a perfect simulation, user?

I'm looking forward to trying some day. The Doors of Perception is one of the best essays I've read and it clearly illustrates an more healthy view on drug use than what's common today.

Thoughts on The Joyous Cosmology by Alan Watts?

I think you have to hang up the phone when you've gotten the message of psychedelic apotheosis and it's time to move on. They're just one tiny step towards better self actualization.

Shrooms for the first time made it clear to me that you can see life through an entirely different lens.
Of course you know that's the case but you never feel it like you would if you do psychedelics

No, I mean avidya, or "non-knowing."
Awakening is described in Buddhism as a state of non-knowing, where you liberate your mind from its ego.

no it does not, unfortunately

It's a slippery slope.

Ahh okay. In Hinduism avidya means ignorance

I'm only familiar with the term from Alan Watts's lectures, wouldn't be suprised if he misused it, lmao. But yeah that's more or less what I'm going for, I guess "ignorance" in an enlightened sense.

>feeling real = is real
This is why no one takes you seriously

are you sure about that?

They are very useful within moderation, but I'm extremely sick of all the eastern things related to it and psychedelic art in general. Its passe. Read Michaux or something in order not to be such a boor.

I always had a good time. That being said, there are no shortcuts to enlightenment, or whatever current, trendy, buzzword, is in use today. There's a reason you have to take your own journey, and no one, or any thing, will accelerate or replace, the journey you have to take. Trying to relate the psychedelic experience to anything is a futile exercise. Take it for what it is. If you gain from it, that's good. If not, no big deal.

I've been doing psychedelics for about ten years now. Here's some good psychedelic literature I would suggest:

>Rose of Paracelsus - William Leonard Pickard (magical realism autobiography written in jail by the guy who used to produce 90% of the world's LSD)
>Pharmako Gnosis - David Pendell (excellent herbal lore on entheogen and extremely well-written if a bit occult)
>PIHKaL and TIHKaL - Shulgin (good reference if you're into research chemicals and the autobiographical love story is nice too)
>Anything by Terrence McKenna (he's a weaver of fanciful words and dreams though I would hardly trust his theories as anything other than thought experiments)
>Timothy Leary - Info-Psychology, Game of Life, Politics of Ecstasy, The Psychedelic Experience (smart guy but became a bit of a new ager after leaving Harvard either for better or worse depending on your perspective)
>Robert Anton Wilson - Cosmic Trigger, Illuminatus!, Prometheus Rising (somehow more new age than Leary yet more palatable by many despite overlap in some theories)
>Umberto Eco - Foucault's Pendulum (conspiratorial mayhem of a more scholarly vein than Illuminatus!)
>Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow (psychedelic orgies and bananas)
>Brautigan - In Watermelon Sugar (like the Zappa of literature)
>PKD - Valis Trilogy (accurate portratal of schizo paranoia caused by drugs)

I think your ontology or epistemology isn't robust enough for serious conversation if it can't accomodate different types of sense and reference than the purely material or physical.
>Michaux
Who's that? Is that the asian science bro? Agree with you and Psychedelics are unique experiences which can catalyze emotional growth, creativity, imagination, and even individuation but you still gotta learn to be happy with the whole "chop water, carry wood" thing afterward. That's where the real challenge starts. There're no cheat codes for happiness. And psychedelic usage, even in moderation, can burn people out -- hard and fast. You think you're invincible cause you're a teen and before long you have anxiety and derealization and depersonalization and depression and mania and schizotypy and autism and ADD. Seen it happen to all too many...

Michaux was a Belgian writer who experimented with LCD and mescaline. "Miserable Miracle" is probably one of the finest books on psychedelics in the world.

>LCD
LSD? Added to my cart. Thankee sir. I am also btw.

>psychedelics spiritual shortcut
gas yourself bug
>enlightenment trendy word
you too

If you're not a bug are you a soy or a goy?

>not drinking TV crystals

>Consciousness is created by chemicals

You've got it backwards, buddy.

Should I smoke salvia on Monday?

I think its possible to achieve the same goal without psychedelics it just takes more time.

Lol

I don't understand how people can have such strong negative opinions on psychedelics when they have no experience with them. The chemical itself doesn't contain all the cultural haze surrounding it, so it's wrong treating it as if it did. Unless you or your immediate family have a history of schizophrenia, there is no reason not to try most of the prolific hallucinogens like LSD, mushrooms, and DMT. They are all physically harmless. Respect the chemical by cultivating a positive set and setting where you won't be interrupted, and you will have a positive experience.

Even if you are a beginner, as long as you are confident in your mental state, do not hesitate to consume a high dose of your chosen psychedelic. LSD (300ug+) or mushrooms (5g+) is a good place to start after you have researched what these chemicals are. I recommend not getting your chemicals off the street if you understand what I am implying. Even then you should still test whatever you get.

Most people move through life with a very tight grip on their reality. Psychedelics help you loosen that grip and understand that there is more to this experience than the finite perception you have been cultivating from birth. Fighting the psychedelic experience these chemicals give is futile. You can be skeptical all you want, but if you are courageous enough to try these chemicals in a positive environment, you will be humbled by the experience.