Wow his prose sucks. I feel even I can do better. I was expecting something better for 'best writer since the bible'

Wow his prose sucks. I feel even I can do better. I was expecting something better for 'best writer since the bible'

>best writer since the bible
?

Talk is cheap, fucking prove it if you think you can do better

nobody says that about him
also his prose is unironically great
my only criticism is that The Fellowship starts off too slow

Pretty much this. Mainstream literary critics have never regarded Tolkien as anything special, except in some of the praise The Hobbit gets. And I'll agree that his prose is good; where Tolkien really falls off (as you hint at) is his pacing. It's all over the place, and it can make reading LOTR a fucking chore if some of his more annoying tendencies don't work for you.

WH Auden and other critics praised LOTR when it was first released

Plenty of other people hated it. Edmund Wilson hated the fuck out of Tolkien's work, and Christopher Tolkien has said that C.S. Lewis would complain about his father's writing all the time. There's never been a consensus of praise about Tolkien's work, and no credible critic has ever said LOTR was the best thing since the Bible.

>best writer since the bible
Who the fuck told you this? Your younger sister?

Wow I didnt know prosefags actually existed, you realize that masturbatory prose means nothing to the average or even intellectual reader. What we respond to is plot, character, and theme.

take a look at this pleb

The pacing is good and there are contemporary professors and critics that view Tolkien in high regard.

Don't post mediocre prose writers

Very honestly, I think Tolkein is way better read aloud. My dad read the Hobbit and LOTR to me when I was a kid and it was pretty nice that way. Not surprising since he was so inspired by old epics. Later I tried to read it myself and it loses a lot of its luster when its read as a traditional book.

that may be the most pleb thing ever uttered

I read tolkien in juvenile prison and it was very dull. I dunno, I can understand why people love him, and he certainly deserves more attention than say, rowling, but he's not my cuppa

>I can do better.
Prove it you little bitch

>I feel even I can do better.
That's your problem. You vastly overestimate your own skills.

Funnily, the first part of The Fellowship is probably my favorite part of LotR.

this

give examples of bad prose

>there are contemporary professors and critics that view Tolkien in high regard
More proofs that the humanities have become a meme.

d'awww
how was it having a nice father? ;-;

>I was expecting something better for 'best writer since the bible'
lol no one ever says that. What happens is that his prose and style, especially in the silmarillion, is very comparable to many books of the bible.