*writes every book ever*

*writes every book ever*
Heh, nothing personal kid

I read a lot of his work in prison. It was pretty entertaining in a pop media sort of way. I really associated it all with a painting-by-numbers sort of style.

who?

>in prison
why?

James Patterson

Huh. I used to read his shit when I was... 12? That might explain some things.

Are you the guy who became an expert on picaresque novels after reading them in prison?

Not an expert, but I read Don Quixote in there, and I know of a few picaresque novels, and have a theory of how history repeats itself in regards to the roguelike, and who believes that Lazarillo De Tormes is the only true picaresque.

because there's not always much to read in there, I read left behind as well.

No, I meant why were you in prison.

What were you in for brother?

>I read left behind
like, all of them?

I went after a police officer with a sword. Funny story, he met my fiance the other day and told her about it, really nice guy, always asks me if I'm still on medication. In reality, I was on medication when I attacked him.

What you got? The heebie jeebies?

Not all, I only had access to three or four. I don't recall them all too well. I remember the arabs shooting on the wall and the Anti-Christ character, caspian or some shit. It was such a shit show series of literature, but more entertaining than sitting in a cell. I have been in jail a few times since. Some I've read more than others, some establishments have a superior collection. Some are impossible to read in due to, well, the number of ethnic entities within the facility.

Um. Okay.
I mean, honestly, that's the best possible reason, I suppose. It's a good ice-breaker, nobody will really hold it against you (it's too chaotic neutral), and the cop seems like a good guy too. Maybe give him a "sorry I attacked you with a sword" cake.
Did you hurt him, or was it just wild flailing?

Yeah, all I know about Left Behind are the movie review's absolutely lambasting it. I try to avoid religious books, because they're usually hamfisted at best.

I've calmed down quite a bit now, far too late, and a felony or two too short. It's a shame, but I doubt I was off to conquer any relevant fields of study.

Anyway, the picaresque is certainly a predecessor of the roguelike, guys. Look at the genres, all people call picaresques down to fucking saul bellow's works, i think I heard someone call sot-weed factor a picaresque once, there are a shitload, they may have similar aspects to the true source, but they lack the complete picture, and eventually become picaresque-esques, now, to the roguelike genre, which happens to have the same issue, something like the binding of isaac has little similarity to rogue, or even nethack, aside from some few aspects. naturally, the similarities do not stop there. completely unintentionally, language has assisted in this, picaro, a rogue, esque, a suffix for derivative or similar to, one might even say "like". picaresque, roguelike. history repeats itself in the strangest of ways.
Anyone had a chance to read Guzman de Alfarache? I keep wanting to send Edith Grossman some mail so she might retranslate it, so i don't have to bother trying to slog through that one translation of it from the 1700s or whenever it was.

No I've done far far worse since, and you have no reason to assume that I am worth any societal level of moral forgiveness. I didn't hurt the cop. He pulled out a gun, I stabbed the sword into the ground and attacked him, he was like 7 foot 300 lbs and i was like 16 and full of pcp-esque wrath. Some reason anti-psychotics have a similar reaction to me as thorazine, namely I can lift far more weight than I should. You ever see one of those chimps turn a tire inside out like a toy? I swear there's a primal level within us capable of ignoring pain and releasing some level of strength that would be otherwise unreasonable to imagine.

Apparently he told my fiance "ha, anyone else would have shot him"
She's a fool for loving me, I'll say that much.

Oh. Well, then I hope you get help, I guess. I don't want to sound obnoxious (I'm borderline, so I know all about screaming meltdowns, even if I never actually attacked anyone), but if you want to change you can.
Has your medication been updated recently? Because the effects can change over time.

history does repeat itself very strangely and there's a certain meme book around here i won't name that gets that theme across really well
sil is a pretty good Veeky Forums related roguelike but now i've said too much

fag

I don't take medication anymore. Incidentally, I've stopped trying to murder people. Honestly, I had been on medications since I was 6 years old. 5 different mental hospitals, I've been through the gamut of "help", and I've never done so well without all of it. Essentially I've had a chance to learn to cope on my own terms and in a natural physical and mental environment.

I will cope forever with the people I've harmed in my life, and will never forgive myself, despite being forgiven and forgotten by others. The best I can do is to do my best. I won't be giving myself any more chances. Would rather commit suicide or live in prison for the rest of my life before hurting another person.

heh, sil, i've heard a lot about it, seems a little too involved in a particular series. I mostly just sit around and fuck around with nethack. The only roguelike I think deserves the moniker.

As convenient as that would be, not correct.

that's really the appeal for me. the particular brand of fantasy that most roguelikes take (being something of a strange mash-up between tolkien and leiber) is kind of tiresome now and the faithfulness of sil is refreshing.

I suppose that's fair. I found caves of qud fairly compelling until it became clear that its bugs were too great for its own good.
Honestly, I got my start with ADOM, but nethack has stolen my heart. I assume you're on the thread on Veeky Forums? those guys are turboautists the likes i've never seen hencetofore.

anyway, if you haven't read it, read Lazarillo De Tormes. avoid el buscon though. it's the ToME of rogues.