/litmu/ Books

Recommend me all the /litmu/ books you can think of, anons. Music theory, too is well-received here.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=v5Tc4mXodrI
youtube.com/watch?v=SmDlGYj0y1Y
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pannonica_de_Koenigswarter
thepiratebay.org/torrent/7233317/Music_Theory_-_eBook_Collection
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I liked Kierkegaards shilling for Don Giovanni in Either-Or

the melancholy of resistance

THE UNCONSOLED

Dr faustus by Mann

really, user? where did you come with that idea?

Have you read it? It's about a composer.

In preparation for the work, Mann studied musicology and biographies of major composers including Mozart, Beethoven, Hector Berlioz, Hugo Wolf, Franz Schreker and Alban Berg. He communicated with living composers, including Igor Stravinsky, Arnold Schoenberg and Hanns Eisler. In Chapter XXII Leverkühn develops the twelve-tone technique or row system, which was actually invented by Arnold Schoenberg.

the joke is that's the book in the op

Never mind... I didn't see the picture...

Concrete by Bernhard

Does Houellebecq's album count as litmu? It's actually pretty lit.

what album :O?

Présence Humaine

yes user, i have read it already, thanks for the recommendation
at least that seems like a good pretext to bump

Der Kontrabaß by Patrick Süskind.
(The Double Bass)

OP here, I just searched for Adorno's compositions. Is it only me or it really sounds like crap?
youtube.com/watch?v=v5Tc4mXodrI

sounds like a bad imitation of Berg

The Loser by Bernhard.

Is there a book teaching how to play guitar ?

Berlioz memoirs, guy was hilarious
Ravel by Jean Echenoz is highly underrated imo

But Beautiful by Geoff Dyer

Fictionalised vignettes of various important figures in bebop. Understanding the players and their lives really helps you to appreciate jazz more imo also Mr Dyer is a pretty nice writer.

depends what you want to play. If you want to be able to read music, pick up a level 1 method book.
For ROCK N ROLL or whatever, I know plenty of people who play in bands who can't read music and just learned by ear and using tabs

This is good if you like ancient philosophy and its relation to music.

he's just a very average composer. Quartet does a good job of giving it some life but even if you don't care for serialism you can tell a difference immediately comparing him to schoenberg

youtube.com/watch?v=SmDlGYj0y1Y

Anyone know any good biographies?

This, but some jazz biography.

>Nica's Dream: The Life and Legend of the (((Jazz Baroness)))
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pannonica_de_Koenigswarter

The pianist from Elfriede Jelinek.

I've heard Miles' autobiography is an amusing read.

Miles' book is a good read. You can tell it was dictated. Mostly great stories and anecdotes, and his insights into why he plays the way he does are pretty valuable.

I'll see that one then, thanks for responding

Cortázar - El Perseguidor

OP here, thank you just so much for all of these! Will any kind user do a /litmu/ chart with them?

Hoffmann's Cremona Violin, The Fermata, Signor Formica, and The Life And Opinions Of the Tomcatt Murr.

You all, thanks for the recommendations.

The Rest is Noise by Alex Ross

No.

Most stuff by Jelinek, that's what they gave her a Nobel for afgter all

antidote to 19th century speculations and romantic fatalism: partimento research by gjerdingen or sanguinetti
part musicology, part theory

There are but I would recommend justinguitar highly over any of them (and a teacher too, even if only for a few lessons). There's probably some fantastic guitar books out there but a lot of them are so dated and useless.

You might want to check the Guitar/Bass threads on /mu.

pic related is a recent favorite

Someone mentioned Berlioz. He was a god-tier writer so get the collections of his music critic work for sure.

Lydian Chromatic Concept is mandatory if you're into Miles and that whole generation of guys.

Persichetti's Twentieth Century Harmony was good, and is a standard so it might be a decent place to start if you're new to theory books.

Gonna look through Schoenberg's books next and see if there's anything interesting there.

The Beatles as Musicians is an excellent musicological breakdown of their entire discography, with no biographical or "rock journalist" fluff. Any more books like that you guys could recommend would be great.

Every Thomas Bernhard book

>But a printer's error causes his story to be accidentally mixed and spliced with a book about the composer Johannes Kreisler. As the two versions break off and alternate at dramatic moments, two wildly different characters emerge from the confusion

Wow that sounds really experimental for 1820.

just a variation of epistolary novel form, which was getting oldfashioned by then.

How do I into music theory, guyz?

I read 2 pages of this and felt like a brainlet. I was just checking it though, I will give it another chance soon

this
pls halp

this
ples healp

1. lesson: know how to take a hint

deep listening

go here thepiratebay.org/torrent/7233317/Music_Theory_-_eBook_Collection

Both Adorno and Schoenberg are in there, but start with the dummies books