What books should I read that will help improve me as a person? I'm not looking for self helf books

What books should I read that will help improve me as a person? I'm not looking for self helf books.

Iliad

Self-helf (sic) is a lowbrow subgenre of philosophy, so to improve as a person you need to start with the Greeks and then work your way up until post-modernism. It should take you a few decades. When you're done, please report back to this thread and then kys.

I can probably fit all that into my schedule.
I'll give that a read. It was cheap in at my local bookstore last time I saw.

Read with a campbellian understanding and dont pick a prose version or fagles

Duly noted.

>A Grammar of the English Tongue
>Good Behavior: Being a Study of Certain Types of Civility
>The Bushcraft Boxed Set: Bushcraft 101; Advanced Bushcraft; The Bushcraft Field Guide to Trapping, Gathering, & Cooking in the Wild; Bushcraft First Aid
>The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding: The Bible of Bodybuilding
>The Lost Art of Finding Our Way
>The House of Intellect
>Inventing the Individual: The Origins of Western Liberalism
>Hávamál, specifically Gestaþáttr and Loddfáfnismál.
>Cruel Optimism
>Norms and Practices
>Ideas: A History of Thought and Invention, from Fire to Freud
>The Age of Nothing: How We Have Sought to Live Since the Death of God
>Fart Proudly
>The Essential Writings of Ralph Waldo Emerson
>The Crisis of the European Mind
>The Passion of the Western Mind: Understanding the Ideas that Have Shaped Our World View
>The Great Tradition: Classic Readings on What it Means to Be an Educated Human Being
>After Virtue: A Study in Moral Theory
>Whose Justice? Which Rationality?
>Montaigne
>Oration on the Dignity of Man
>Modern Man in Search of a Soul

I honestly believe reading self-help will sabotage your mind and make you hella neurotic, by not reading it you already helped yourself tremendously.

I wanted to avoid them because they always seemed to good to be true, promising to fix your life in just one book.

I'll be sure to check all those out.

I like (you).

Will someone please tell me how the FUCK the dog's legs are fitting in the boots?

Please it's fucking freaking me out.

Ancient philosophy would be my best choice.

Here's the personal reading list I'd give to someone who is not already into it (it's mostly Ethics, so no weird metaphysical thing unless you feel like it later).

Aristotle - Nicomachean Ethics
Plato - most of the middle period dialogues (personal suggestion: Phaedo)
Epictetus - Discourses
Marcus Aurelius - Memories

I have a good recommendation book for you

I got you covered. If there's one book that can change your life, it's pic related.

I should reread my copy. What did you get out of it? I barely remember the lessons.

I can't say that much without spoiling it for OP, but I was having the same thoughts as the author at the time, and was experiencing similar "delusions" with some things in college. Also, it's just a really comfy book to read, you feel that the author is extremely wise and has lived through a lot of things. When I read it, I feel like he's talking to me directly, it's hard to explain.

>Also, it's just a really comfy book to read, you feel that the author is extremely wise and has lived through a lot of things. When I read it, I feel like he's talking to me directly, it's hard to explain.
yeah I got that feeling too. knida like Ecclesiastes from the Bible lol.

>>The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding: The Bible of Bodybuilding
Absolute pleb

>not answering the question

Culture of Critique

Montaigne all day. Every day.

Disregard everything. That DOG is wearing PANTS!

kek

flowers for algernon