Where do I start with Dostoyevsky?

Where do I start with Dostoyevsky?

Notes

Notes

This board is ridiculously occupied with Dostoyevsky

Try Robert Musil

Shut up faggot.
Start with crime and punishment, notes is pleb shit for plebs that don't have the attention span to read a longer story.

It's a good place to start, though. Wade in easily and then go for Crime and Punishment, The Idiot, Eternal Husband, then Brothers Karamazov.

I never really understood what C&P was really ever about. Obviously it's not to do with the murder because then it wouldn't occur that early in the book. Is it about morality, man's search for religion?

Start with the archive.

fuck you

Had the same problem desu maybe I'm just a brainlet.

Guy who thought he was a guy who could kill a person with no problem turns out to feel immense guilt for the crime

lol he's upset. Musil's great. Dostoyevsky shouldn't be ignored though. It just pops up here a lot because most visitors here have the tendency to over-analyze their circumstance. Dosty provides a voice in the wind of a busy mind

wrong, he felt bad because he didn’t live up to the standard he set to himself through logic and reason alone

Downvoted. Didn't even read.

Notes, then C&P

It can be interpreted all those ways, however, from an intertextual and historical standpoint Dostoevsky was brutally critiquing Chernyshevsky (the definition of a shit writer and an intellectual pseud), radical utilitarian ethics and the Russian nihilists of the 60s (Turgenev's Fathers and Sons deals with the men of the 40s and 60s divide in a much gentler but none the less poignant way, I still prefer Dostoevsky any day though desu). This was more fully fleshed out in Demons which specifically referenced the Nechayev murders, Nechayev himself was a huge fan of Chernyshevsky's What Is To Be Done?

If you don't live in russia, then don't even bother.

C&P is about the contrast between mans innate sense of right and wrong and a utilitarian conception of ethics which the smart can use to justify anything.
Dostoevsky would argue that moving away from the morality innate to our souls (or indeed simply ingrained in our culture) will inevitably bring us great pain.

One should still start with dosto, though. Plus, Musil is toi hard for modt fiction readers on this board, while dosto isn’t.

Demons is a great start my opinion. Great story and easy to project on today's society.

Notes from the /r9k/

t.salty cunt

t. t.