Theology/Philosophy in Andrei Rublev

What do you think Tarkovsky read before he made Andrei Rublev? What authors/philosophers should i read that expands on the themes/philosophy/theology?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/x2KvLjSBfM0?t=3m24s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Watching Andrei Rublev gives me the same feeling I get from reading the Bible or the Upanishads. I have no precise recommendations here, but I remember reading a comment on youtube by some Russian who claimed that you need to be of orthodox faith in order to truly "get" Andrei Rublev. So maybe look into orthodox writings.

bump

I disagree, that's like saying you won't get Dostoevsky unless you're Orthodox. Sure, reading up on the religious tradition may give you some interesting background information, but no faith is required to appreciate either artist.

Look into Russian mysticism! Berdyaev and Solovyov are a good start. Also read up on the history of medieval Muscovy and the art history of the region, which is fascinating in its own right. The Byzantine influence on the region seen in the movie (Vladimir-Suzdal) was massive, and many artists like Theofanes the Greek travelled to medieval Rus to teach and refine their techniques, it's arguable that by the time the film takes place that Russian masters like Rublev had surpassed their Byzantine forebears in the art of the icon. But might just be my slavophile russoboo bias showing. Thanks for this thread op, this a top ten film of mine.

Dostoevsky isn't really comparable, but I don't think you need to be Orthodox to appreciate Andrei Rublev at all, it's a beautiful and timeless art film whose frames look like Renaissance artworks. However, I think to truly appreciate the role of the icon, the silent suffering spirituality of the Russian soul and countless other motifs in the film you should be Orthodox or have studied it extensively (I'm the latter, so I don't doubt I'll never be able to appreciate it like a Orthodox Russian could)

>I'm the latter
Become Orthodox.

probably will tbqh, nice painting user thanks

To me Tarkovsky is really comparable to Tagore. Both are very unapologetic about how they portray spirituality and an artist's suffering in a very oppressive environment. I don't agree with their views but they leave a huge impression on me.
Dosto on the other hand, I really find his religious stuff subpar.

Also op, read some Tagore. He really instill the same comfy feeling as Tarkovsky and their themes are somewhat similar. Maybe watch Satyajeet Ray's film.

what do you mean his religious stuff? how he portrays religion? his spiritual themes? for him spirituality is deeply tied up with the national question which if you're not Russian or well versed in Russian studies I could see why you wouldn't like it. Lots of the translations are bad desu, I think Dostoevsky shines through much more as a psychologist and anti-modernist in English than as a spiritual ideologue.

Yeah, may have just been me but I found a lot of commentary about the role of religion and state kind of boring. Like Dosto was lecturing me too much. I think his character drama and psychological themes are really good but his writings on religion, state and Russia really bore me.

Lazarus

But you DO need to be orthodox to truly get Dostoyevsky, just as you need to be italian to get Dante or D'Annunzio. Not that I want to belittle your artistic appreciations but this is the truth,

> orthodox to truly get Dostoyevsky, just as you need to be italian to get Dante or D'Annunzio
Oh no, looks you’ve just posted the stupidest thing I’ve seen on Veeky Forums in months

I don't know what you people think being an orthodox is like. There is little spirituality and a lot of fanatical devotion to weird customs and arrogant priests.
youtu.be/x2KvLjSBfM0?t=3m24s

>Andrei Rublev
Seemed a bit mystic (Closer to God through art?), the idea of God possibly similar to Kierkegaard. Love, hope.

Yea that's just like any institutional religion, but what actual orthodox faith?

Where do you recommend starting with Tagore?

That is very hard to define and you'll probably do it in a heavily romanticized, unrealistic way. You can know even more about the Orthodox faith than the ones who practice it if you study it. Try the Philokalias if you're interested.

>Everyone in track suits

Any movies similar to Rublev?

Marketa Lazarova

A bit of a strawman. Not all priests are corrupt communist informants like Spagoveanul, but I do despise the ones who are. Orthodoxy is more than this arrogant display of piety.