I'm looking for depressing books where the protagonists are unlikable failures/depressed/sociopaths

I'm looking for depressing books where the protagonists are unlikable failures/depressed/sociopaths.
Something that will leave a long lasting bitter aftertaste.
pls help brehs.

Other urls found in this thread:

7chan.org/lit/src/Tatsuhiko_Takimoto_-_Welcome_to_the_NHK_novel.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You're welcome

Also my diary because why not

werther doesn't belong in this list at all

Journey to the end of the Night
Catcher in the Rye and The Bell Jar maybe don't hit the level you want, but are similar

Michel Houellebecq my man. I recommend Whatever, Atomised and The Possibility of an Island.

>punpun

Only "book" that made me cry.
Couldn't even finish it because it fucked me up so much.

How does werther not belong. He literally gets cucked by chad trying to obtain his oneitis, and babbles on about it in diary entries akin to internet posts. There is literally not a book with a character more similar to the average r9k poster

The average /r9k/ poster would never go to a club and/or try to approach girls.

Some people reccommend Stoner or Jude the Obscure (the second is probably better for you). Both are sad, I wouldn't say they're depressing. I'd recommend Something happened by Heller.

Sailor Who Fell From Grace made me feel sick after and it's a bit like that

Can someone remove Werther off that chart already

El tunel by Ernesto Sabato

he loves life and is a sensible man, he isn’t a bitter virgin

Anything authored by Samuel Beckett. But they're usually also funny, which keeps it even bleaker for me desu

A Painful Case (story in Dubliners by Joyce).

All of Dostoevsky.

I'm r9k and I've approached like 20 girls in a club.

I'm doing a research project on shut-ins and recluses right now and looking for examples in literature; my professor mentioned Beckett, do you have any specific examples?

He’s much too pure for /r9k/, as the other user said he loves life and more importantly never shits on the woman he loves for going with the other man. Books for /r9k/ should be bitter and resentful, like the board.

Means you're a fucking poser

Elaborate?

He doesn't turn this rejection into an ideology of hate that pervades his every action.

What's the book that most resembles r9k?

>Holden
>a loser

This image is funny, love all three of those works. It's strange to consider, but I really did find Punpun to be a more complete and fully considered work than Notes from the Underground lol

You are giving too much credit to /r9k/. The board is full of gays and roleplaying normies who got dumped by their gf. Veeky Forums is the new /r9k/.

This is a good one but it might be more subtle than what you're looking for

Veeky Forums is full of gays. But yes, it's also full of sad cunts that spent years lifting and still can't get a gf, despite that being their initial motivation.

"Molloy", but the characters do go out a bit. A good shut-in can be found in "The Unnamable".

I'm looking for optimistic books where the protagonist puts sniveling losers in their place where they belong

Welcome to the NHK

The young hilter I knew is unironically one of the most touching books I've ever read.

I love this novel so much. Even after almost 2 decades it stil remains to be just as relevant and not in the timeless way. A person, hypothetically speaking, reading it two decades before it was published would not get much of it but it strikes a nerve so poignantly with it's protagonist who somehow managed in the very earliest years of the century represent it's social recluses with such precicion it's nothing short but the golden standard.
A Holden for the 21st century man I suppose would be the least pretentious way to put it.

I like how dumb and unthinking Satou is

How is the manga/anime? The novel is 50€ in Germaniestan.

The manga completely changes the end of the story. The anime adds a bunch of unnecessary shit. Both are good but I'd read the ln first.

7chan hosts a pdf of the book. It isn't very long. 7chan.org/lit/src/Tatsuhiko_Takimoto_-_Welcome_to_the_NHK_novel.pdf

This book OP.

The main character is a Scottish policeman descending into the depths of absolute and total madness. The ending is about the darkest thing I have ever read.

And don't be put off if you've seen the film, its nothing like it.

That means you are not r9k. R9k would not dare to approach in the first place.

Bothered me when I was done

I only read kinkakuji but got the same feeling.

They're all great. I literally have the pdf of NHK on every one of my devices including Drive even though I haven't read it in years. Just in case...

crime and punishement