Post your controversial/uncommon opinions

Post your controversial/uncommon opinions.

>Jacques Ellul was the best French philosopher of the 20th century by a mile
>I'm convinced that parts of Hegel's texts are just gibberish generated by a machine.
>Anyone who cherishes hope in any modern religion as a source of "Traditionalism" is a fool
>The Quran is incredibly poorly written, repetitive, and has very little aesthetic value.

Other urls found in this thread:

plato.stanford.edu/entries/social-construction-naturalistic/
cambridge.org/core/journals/british-journal-of-political-science/article/height-income-and-voting/2B6875BFB8B956963D1DBBD510A581CF
cambridge.org/core/journals/politics-and-the-life-sciences/article/effects-of-physical-attractiveness-on-political-beliefs/D5214D0CAE37EE5947B7BF29762547EE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Hegel
You're in good company.

>Jesus Christ died on the cross for our sins, and rose from the dead three days later, after which he ascended to heaven and now sits at the right hand of God

Arianists get out

>>I'm convinced that parts of Hegel's texts are just gibberish generated by a machine.
Just watch Half Hour Hegel and stop being an idiot

user, I'm just quoting the Scriptures

Social contructionism is basically right.

cute cat

no its basically wrong and you need to stop posting if you think its surviving the next few decades of scientific advancement

This cat looks like My cat

Orange fluffy cats are the best.

lol so random

i think he meant to reply to so it's not so random

whoah

awww what a nice kitty

How the fuck is it right?

Talking and thinking about politics a lot is extremely unhealthy. Also acting as if you need to pick a side or remain a spineless fence sitter is silly.

>The Quran is incredibly poorly written, repetitive, and has very little aesthetic value.
This so much desu, so what if it's supposedly beautiful and profound and mathematical in Arabic, if it translates into every other language so badly how could it be directly divinely inspired?

>Talking and thinking about politics a lot is extremely unhealthy. Also acting as if you need to pick a side or remain a spineless fence sitter is silly.
So many people on this board could benefit from this message. It's a daily struggle of mine not get all riled up about it because my studies are heavily related to political theory, international relations, etc.

Evola is a retard.
Traditionalism is a dumb philosophy for LARPers.

That's really not controversial anywhere except on Veeky Forums

pic related probably you

that guy probably has a white gf who's about a 6-7, it always makes me cringe when some fat kekistani fedora fag calls out "soys" for not being masculine, it's like dude that guy has a job and a wife, you live in a basement, not sayin i like milquetoast soys but take a look in the mirror neetlord

yeah but if you can easily fuck his wife it doesn't count per the original definition of wife.

chad can fuck his wife but YOU can't

i have fucked a chad's wife and I am not chad myself, women are memes

Ayn Rand was a very intelligent woman.

Inglourious Basterds is Quentin Tarantino's best film.

Objective morality is nonexistent.

Romantic music is the best kind of music.

Post modernism is trash.

chads are liberal, they're not resentful about not getting laid remember

yes

no they're all terrible

no

yes

yes

Fitzgerald's prose game was a fucking abomination
Finnegans Wake is the most meaningful, beautiful, and hilarious novel ever written and something feels genuinely divine about it
Jordan Beep Eaterson isn't perfect but is having a net positive effect on the world
Anyone who follows verbs with adverbs should be put in front of a firing squad
Same with anyone who ends/starts dialogue with anything other than "he said" or "he asked" (e.g. exclaimed, cried, posited, inquired, etc) unless there's a damn good reason for it
Freud is unfairly bashed for the wrong reasons
You only get to use the word "pretentious" if you know exactly what the author was trying to do and why it didn't work/wasn't good.

>I think there a way to prove that dead unbaptized infants are in Heaven and not in Limbo, Purgatory, or Hell. And that way is proven through scripture and the Catechism.
>Protestant sects of Christianity are way too happy and go-lucky. They don't preach enough humility, repentance, and feeling sorrow for doing evil.
>Protestant is just a euphemism for Protestor, because that's what they are.
> I think democracy is retarded. Why the fuck does California has direct democracy?
Propositions are terribly made and the problem of majority rule pokes it's retarded head out.
>Nationalism is retarded. I love America, but it's a country with man made rules. It's not like belonging to a religion.
>If you major in humanities, you are being ridiculous. Do that shit for yourself and get a real major.
>those poorly drawn paint images are retarded.
The ones where one guy is a fat irrational neckbeard loser who holds the dissenting opinion and the other guy who is suave, aryan, smart, and good looking are arguing PISS me off. Do brainlets on Veeky Forums like align with the fucking suave stick figure thinking "oh yeah, I am just like this smart man, a pussy destroyer." To me they look like fucking little pathetic pieces to assure losers that they are cool and right. (not talking about the virgin vs chad picture either. That one is fucking funny).
>Nietzsche is retarded.
Any nietzschean who thinks his redefinition of values will work is retarded. And I guarantee that any of you fucks who sucks the german cock of Nietzsche probably hasn't changed a damn thing about his life and still used the based, objective moral compass that Jesus Christ gave to all of us. Too, I'll bet good fucking money that Nietzsche was the same way, maintaining Christian values outside of his butthurt writings.

That cat is cute.

Not that that's an unpopular opinion, I just thought it needed to be said.

>>Nationalism is retarded. I love America, but it's a country with man made rules. It's not like belonging to a religion.
Nationalism is just one end of a spectrum opposite internationalism. It's the belief that a nation should put the interest of its own people before the interests of other nations to a varying degree, depending on how far along the spectrum you are. There's nothing wrong with some nationalistic values

he means patriotism, but is still wrong anyway

>>Jacques Ellul was the best French philosopher of the 20th century by a mile

This shouldn't be controversial but Jacques is probably the only French philosopher I've read desu

The Great Gatsby was a pretty bad novel. I just felt completely uninterested in any of it

Agreed
>implying social constructionism denies the existence of an underlying reality
>implying social constructionism is incompatible with science

>best french philosopher
Deleuze and Baudrillard? yeah i agree good taste OP

What exactly do you think social constructionist is? No one in their right mind would deny that society has a big effect on who we are and what we do. Social constructionism is the fucking retarded theory that we are tabula rasa putty people from day one and society alone gives us our personalities, biases, interests, and instincts.

Some people use it that way, but most "social constructionists" don't believe that. Natrualistic conceptualizations social constructionism exist. SEP has an extensive entry on the subject: plato.stanford.edu/entries/social-construction-naturalistic/

If you're also interested more generally in how postmodernism and the sciences can have a positive relationship, check out the sources listed in the second paragraph of pic related (from the entry on Deleuze). That's just a starting point, there is much more info out there.

This is a broader definition of social constructionism than is relevant to the controversy surrounding it at the moment, and it's one I'd absolutely subscribe to myself. Again, there is a genuine movement of professors and working adults that actually factually believe all disparity in behavior between any identity group is 100% caused by societal forces.

I forgot to include:

If you genuinely meant that definition of the term in your post, that's valid and I won't criticize you for it. But something tells me you knew how that was going to be interpreted and had those links prepared in response

James Joyce is overrated. He is a great craftsman and technician but he is shite at storytelling, hence why he's so determined to ground his stories firmly in historical fact.

>chads are liberal
fucking kek

>Fitzgerald's prose game was a fucking abomination

How about I whip you up a nice batch of flour in a cup? Would you like that? I call it the Gatsby

Yeah I agree that there are a significant number of people who have co-opted it and abuse the concept. Relativism is a dead end but there's more to social constructionism and postmodernism than that.

I did genuinely mean that interpretation. I know a lot of people here hold it in low esteem but they have what I consider to be a shallow understanding of the subject. So I wasn't surprised to get a response.

knausgaard deserves the nobel prize. my struggle is an achievement on the order of tolstoy or proust.

Yeah I get you that it hold some value, but it's not of your afterlife legacy. It's mutable and relative, crafted by men. It's not the highest truth we hold

>Fitzgerald's prose game was a fucking abomination
i don't understand how you can think this. i'd listen to a dozen feminist or racial critiques of his work before i read your opinion on fitzgerald for more than a paragraph

>Ayn Rand was a very intelligent woman.
this is a good, defendable controversial opinion.
>Post modernism is trash.
this is uncontestable and, if we were being honest with ourselves, uncontroversial

world is made of language, choose your narrative bro

>James Joyce is overrated. He is a great craftsman and technician but he is shite at storytelling, hence why he's so determined to ground his stories firmly in historical fact.
i agree. i read dubliners and it wasn't anything special.

>i agree. i read dubliners and it wasn't anything special.
DON'T
TALK
SHIT

YOU AIN'T READ THE REAL JOYCE

I was actually thinking more of Ulysses than Joyce. I love Dubliners a lot, but Ulysses gets tiring. I can only see Joyce do so many tricks before he starts to come across as a dog overeager to please its master.

*more of Ulysses than Dubliners, I mean

tried reading ulysses and couldnt make it past the opening chapter. i skipped ahead a bit and skimmed the part where the stream of consciousness happens and it was better, but id rather just go read hemingway or something

What does this even mean? Stop talking in memes you cunt

>Chads are liberal

that probably only stands because women have the vote

Gays and blacks deserve to die.

>study says...

Let's see that source

What no your cat is white and black

my diary, desu

>work done on Deleuze and science
what an absolute meme

This is a fucking awful example of a soyboy or numale - he's got a normal hairstyle, full head of hair, a square jaw, an actual beard, dressed in a modern but masculine fashion. Apply yourself.

They separate males and females. Unsurprisingly, the effect on height for women is quite small, but for males the gap is huge
cambridge.org/core/journals/british-journal-of-political-science/article/height-income-and-voting/2B6875BFB8B956963D1DBBD510A581CF

There's plenty more if you guys are looking for it, see this image for instance or about attractiveness

cambridge.org/core/journals/politics-and-the-life-sciences/article/effects-of-physical-attractiveness-on-political-beliefs/D5214D0CAE37EE5947B7BF29762547EE

>" Controlling for socioeconomic status, we find that more attractive individuals are more likely to report higher levels of political efficacy, identify as conservative, and identify as Republican. "

Sorry guys if this makes you feel even more insecure

No, I just wanted proof. That's fucking hilarious

>takes a photo with products that have soy ingredients

Virtually all processed foods have soy

Gays and blacks deserve to live

whoa

>square jaw
lol no
also its the eyes that scream soy

Women are complete people who have the same complexity and richness of experience as men.

its a perfect example of it

prosefags should be stabbed

We could use this to create inverse manletism.

you mean lankletism?

People who think women aren't exactly as capable as men are fucking morons.

Social constructionism and essentialism both have their merits.

I think understanding other people is the single most important thing for a human being to learn. 90% of all conflict stems from people being unable or unwilling to empathize with somebody else.

Why are you looking in an Abrahamic religious text for 'aesthetic value'?

"Anyone who cherishes hope in any modern religion as a source of "Traditionalism" is a fool"

This is not controversial nor uncommon whatsoever.

Not the person you're responding to but in my personal experience, inborn Chads tend to be 'apolitical left' as in they don't really give a shit about the world at large but just go with the 'flow' where the flow nowadays is leftism. Self-made chads on the other hand tend to be centre-right.

Pls explain

Yukio Mishima is much more of a 'German' figure than a Japanese one

>Inglourious Basterds is Quentin Tarantino's best film.
True.
Consider the topic of homosexuality. If we study human populations, human bodies, neurology etc. we can see that some of them exhibit same-sex desire and behaviour, and that there are certain physiological and genetic differences between the population that displays these traits and those that do not.

At the same time, the concept of "homosexuality" is a constructed notion. The way homosexual acts and homosexual desires have been interpreted, expressed and categorised throughout history has been subject, like many aspects of human sexuality, to large degrees of differentiation. In antiquity, sexual roles and their implications/expression of/for gender roles were defined almost entirely by passivity vs activity, rather than homo- or heterosexual - for which there weren't correlating words. In Christian Europe, homosexual behaviour came under the label of "sodomy", and a person who engaged in same-sex activities wilfully was a sodomite, but a person who simply had same-sex desires wasn't. Heterosexual anal penetration was also considered sodomy. The term was defined by its deviance from vaginal and procreative penetration, rather than desire. Sexuality was act-defined, guilt-defined, rather than by inclination.

Constructions like these govern our sexual thinking, desires and behaviour. The sociological phenomena of straight-identifying "men who have sex with men" is a curious example of this. I've even heard it said that the majority of homosexual behaviour occurs outside the bounds of the gay identity (though I have no proof on hand to back this up, so take it as conjecture).

In ancient Greece (and other societies) homosexuality occurred within the social function of pederasty. In contemporary society acceptable homosexuality is generally considered to occur between two people of similar age and equal status.

The faggot who keeps saying Mishima can't be gay because muh Japanese social definitions is retarded. Mishima was a man deeply steeped in Western culture, both by being a 20th century Japanese and by being a well-read intellectual. Freud, Wilde, Mann.

Can you elaborate on that? I can only recall a single offhand remark of Mishima's referring to a German writer, but remember him saying that one of his earliest influences was Raymond Radiguet. He also quotes Lautréamont, Leopardi, makes references to Plutarch and wrote a short story based on Medea. I think if you search for Western influences you're more likely to find them in Greek art.

I really fuckin love to jerk off. The sex act is not so fun. But I love my wife. So I let other men perform the sex act while I masturbate to that.

PG Wodehouse is the best writer ever.

>Anyone who follows verbs with adverbs should be put in front of a firing squad
>You only get to use the word "pretentious" if you know exactly what the author was trying to do
Fucking pottery

Exactly is preceding “what”

Jesus fuck, just stop

Have fun returning to primordial matter instead of ascending like the rest of us.
Also you probably buy only fair trade.

praise kek fellow pede

/r/hapas disagrees

>term that is extremely broad and vague is trash

you need to stop posting you’re fucking retarded and not thinking clearly about why science vanquishes social constructivism permanently

I'm sure, but I still think her philosophy's shit
Would be true is Reservoir Dogs didn't exist
True, but it's best to act like it does
Wrong, it's maximalist music
A lot of the theory is very interesting and essential in the modern age. Some of it is quite literally nonsense. The cancers of modern day society that are commonly attributed to PoMo are indeed trash, but I'm not well-read enough to blindly assume that PoMo is indeed to blame

>shits on pomo
>praises Tarantino
Why are you so fucking stupid?

>he thinks it's still useful to conflate "postmodernisms" disparate meanings when referring to either art or theory

Being a non-American woman isn't an opinion.