Self-help

I realize self-help as a genre is not highly regarded on this board, but is there any actually decent self-help type literature out there? Anyone actually tangibly benefit from such literature before? pic unrelated

Most self-help is just certain types of philosophy watered-down and repackaged for the dumb masses. So if you want that kind of stuff you're better off going straight to the source. Aristotle, Aurelius, Seneca, etc. etc. etc. They present their advice/arguments in a much more profound and elegant way than any businessman could.

There is another type of self-help book which contains practical advice on how to effectively organize and handle your life in our capitalist system. I think these are fine books to read, just don't read them looking for deep insights on life. I use a few techniques suggested in GTD in my everyday life, and WCIYP has some good, if not somewhat obvious, job-searching advice. Such books will often try to shoehorn in some retardedly-naive life philosophy, but you just have to filter that stuff out.

>GTD
>WCIYP
idk what these are

Man.. I wanted that pic to be relatable

it just looks like one of those pics liberals use when they bash trump like "if trump builds the wall you won't be able to hire a maid this cute for 50 dollars a day!" i found it slightly annoying

>I don't have basic internet searching skills

nigga what

>never heard of gtd

r u neet by chance

yes, atm i am

/thread

Ill help you, user
GTD = getting things done
wciyp = what color is your parachute

i already googled it after the other poster (very justifiably) censured me for my laziness, but thanks i appreciate the gesture

This is how I've always felt, but never been able to articulate.

I have a friend who reads that shit but claims it's not self-help. I basically told him every book about living your life a certain way had already been done and in a better man by Western Philosophers.

Literally the only thing that matter is making money. It's not nearly as hedonistic as the existential soul-searching philosophies that were fostered out of far less responsible drug abuse and sex addictions. Fact is co-existing with a planet like this you'll have some vice that's never going away, and the most stable and widely accepted source for your dopamine should be in making dollars. Sell yourself out. Get a chain. Buy shit and flip it on eBay. Be shallow and go fast. That is the only way to do it. Learn expedience. Take computer science. If you get bored drink a gallon of ice tea powder. Hope this helps user. Make molly, don't take it.

this dude knows whats up, sick of all this sentimental fag shit from undisciplined homos looking for excuses

Also don't read books. There's a reason they're the easiest to flip. Book readers easily gloss over their actual value because they'll pay anything to get what they think they'll want.

Get a hold of yourself you hysterical cunt.

i'm not mad, i'm just saying anytime i see a picture of a young hispanic person i just assume it's a democrat trying to hispander

>young hispanic person
she's clearly native (e.g. mayan or something), not hispanic. i posted her because it thought she was a qt, there was no political motive

if u speak spanish you're hispanic, the amount of people in mexico who work as models but only speak indigenous language is probably about zero

I guess so, but bud, it seems like you're looking to get pissed off

calm down, it's just a picture of a person
(even though she's probably an aztec goddess reincarnated)

12 Rules for Life has some genuinely useful advice in it. It's a meme worth buying into. It actually provides sources for its claims, as well.

Don't worry, you'll grow out of it soon.

she's probably the daughter of some dnc brahmin who teaches at georgetown when they're not advising a democrat campaign

i meant ethnically

the democrats don't have time to break hispanics down by ethnicity, you're either hispanic or not

this thread has nothing to do with the democrats lmao what the fuck are you on about

>stock photo of a dreamer in the op
>not about democrats

kys shill

Jesus Christ, get a grip

>getting triggered by a qtpi maya gril instead of getting a boner/>tfwnogf

Off yourself

Help me grow out of it now and tell me why I should disregard that book's advice

dude im as reactionary and right wing as they come, stop being a retarded burger

he's baiting you now, first two posts were serious tho

my friend read Prometheus Rising it will change your reality tunnel, redefine how you think and is just a great read in general.

Pic related

is this the one that tells you to take your shit out of the toilet and make a sculpture out of it?

i want to bate byt have to sleep

this pic reminds of a map in counter strike 1.6 (de_aztec?)

Feeling Good by David Burns

It helps those with depression and anxiety get through their problems. I know a few who have read it and it worked for them. I personally havent read it and am only mentioning it because it was starting to see people change through a self-help book. Most people I know who read them dont change whatsoever

Read one punch man

Ride the Tiger

This and Full Catastrophe Living are really the only decent general-purpose answers. They're best approached as tools for helping you live better rather than guides to a coherent life philosophy.

Don't normally talk about this here, but I'm Mormon and 7 Habits of Highly Effective People is actually just our theology written in self-help form.

It's actually a good read in that it is pretty specific about how you can get shit together. I'd recommend it.

Are they both just books about depression and anxiety, cause I have neither. I'm just a pathetic NEET desu

Well, if you're calling yourself a pathetic NEET there's something up with you

>there's something up with you
laziness, lack of motivation, apathy wrt success, unfocused etc

Depression is so broad that it's all but meaningless as a diagnosis, but everything you listed is a symptom. Regardless, you'd get something out of those books.

idk my problem is that i simply dgaf, im not sure id call that depression. will those books teach me to give a fuck?

Why do you want to change, then?

Only self-help you need is How to Read a Book

damn dude, i guess there is a part of me that gives enough of a fuck to give a fuck about not giving a fuck. it's a start i guess

Hey, it's something! The reason I mentioned that those are symptoms of depression was not to diagnose or categorize you, but to let you know you may find value in books that aim to address depression. Feeling Good is basically cognitive-behavioral therapy for depression in book form. It's very well-regarded by the medical community and it'll address some of the issues you mentioned. Full Catastrophe Living is focused more on stress-reduction techniques and mindfulness. I think it was originally written for people with chronic pain or illness, but the techniques are widely applicable. I get the sense that the first book may be more useful to you, but look into them both and see what you think will suit you best.

I have always suspected that /pol/fags are secretly gay.

>im as reactionary and right wing as they come
Oh, so you're a retard as well.

ehy guys just stopping by to say its nightime and i cant sleep and feel teribble and i am really sad about a lot of things and have been thinking about not existing anymore and that isnt fun irony laced haha- i feel like nothing and i dont mean anything to anyone in fact i mean less and i feel like less i feel so bad so bad

Self help is for people who need to read philosophy but aren't so intellectually inclined

This desu
Mormons got their shit together

Hypocrisy is an american past time

> is there any actually decent self-help
Start with the Greeks.

Depends on what you want help with.
Do you have a tangible mental illness or maladaptive behaviors you want to change? Or do you just want a general pick me up?

currently reading gracian. there are symmetries in the organization of the topics, so that aphorisms can be thought as modifying each other and change meaning drastically, it might be unintended or it's like a baroque riddle.

just watch jojo's bizarre adventure
or read "seven habits of highly effective people" some jew i know read it and recommended it and jews are somewhat smart so there's that. Haven't read it cuz im a nazi and do the opposite of what jews tell me to do.
Also browsing Veeky Forums will start a fire in your belly to waste your life savings on crypto and that could be a nice change of pace for your life. Hope this helps lmao

the subtle art of not giving a fuck

help yourself you dumbfuck.
99% of good advice is repeated so much you can probably write a self-help book yourself. hard part is doing it.

>watered down philosophy
>dumb masses
Is it sadder I got more out of The Science of Getting Rich than Republic?

>former directly lead to paying for phd without sucking the dean off
>latter made me wonder why people quote/refer others to it

can confirm, even the blacks and the pacific islander ones

Stop posting that image.

>Be shallow and go fast

>telling someone completely calm to calm down

kill yourself

>he's still seething about it hours later

Yeah, I forgot about this thread lol, he hasn't I guess

bump

Here you go, big boy.

actually i recommend
Stand Firm: Resisting the Self-Improvement Craze
by Svend Brinkmann

basically he says read the stoics. but its very easy to get through and interesting.