ITT: Your favourite Arthur Conan Doyle book/story

ITT: Your favourite Arthur Conan Doyle book/story.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_White_Company
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The Hound of the Baskervilles but I haven't read many

Sign of Four

Story The Red Headed League

Novel The Hound

A bit off topic, but is there is a Veeky Forums detective/mystery chart?

what's the one with Sherlock about the hunter/sniper who used African kids as lion bait?

A Study in Scarlett
Read it one afternoon while afflicted with one of those mild illnesses which dull the mind and induce surreal perceptions. Shit was cash

The one where he fucks a 15 year old

The Adventure of the Speckled Band, my personal favorite

These. Thought A Study in Scarlett is a favorite as well because of the unusual structure. I would go as far as saying all four novels and the first to short story collections are great.
Anybody read Doyle's dinosaur novels?

Father Brown is better.
Sherlock is autistic.

Of the short stories I like A Case of Identity. Of the novels A Study in Scarlet.

What? The Speckled Band is a totally different story. The closest thing I can think the user is referring to is The Adventure of the Empty House.

I always loved His Last Bow. Watson and Holmes having aged gracefully and their enduring friendship, the ease with which they re-familiarize with one another. It's beautiful and inspiring, even if it is total propaganda.

The Adventure of the Three Gables.
>“I’ve wanted to meet you for some time,” said Holmes. “I won’t ask you to sit down, for I don’t like the smell of you, but aren’t you Steve Dixie, the bruiser?”
>“That’s my name, Masser Holmes, and you’ll get put through it for sure if you give me any lip.”
>“It is certainly the last thing you need,” said Holmes, staring at our visitor’s hideous mouth.
Based Dylan, he makes Holmes so needlessly and aggressively racist it's hilarious.

the Case of the Reversed Footprints.

The White Company.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_White_Company

Something that needs to be made into a movie.

Best novel:- Hound of the Baskervilles, no question.

Best short story:- Speckled Band (also Conan Doyle's favourite). OK, so the actual mystery is not very good (a three-year-old reader will be shouting A SNAKE IS GOING TO COME DOWN THE ROPE YOU FOOLS ) but let's face it, none of Conan Doyle's mysteries are very mysterious.

Actually both of these are good for the same reason i.e. atmosphere and a terrifying MONSTER. Yeah. That's the good stuff.

Best stories as puzzles:- Thor Bridge, Six Napoleons

it's the obvious choice but really he didn't write any stories better than the hound of the baskervilles

also pic related is best holmes and i'll fight anyone who says otherwise
basil rathbone is second

Conan Doyle himself valued hhe White Company very highly (mainly he was just irritated at what he saw as the inordinate success of Holmes over his other work).
I thought it started well and had promise, but it is a bit weak in overall plotting.
e.g. Blatant Chekov's Gun error: the hero demonstrates great ability to pick up tunes by ear and play them, but then this is never used again. I thought they were going to waylay some famous minstrel and the hero was going to take his place to infiltrate the villain's banquet or something. That would have been cool.

p.s. of the short stories, the adventure of the dancing men is best

The character Conan Doyle was proudest of creating wasn't Holmes at all but Professor Challenger from The Lost World. In fact Doyle's wife got a bit fed-up because later in life he took to acting more and more like Challenger hahahaha

The novel meanders a tad too much,but picks up after Samkin Alewood blows into Aelain's life and sweeps him and Hortle John off to a men at arm's life. It continues to be meandering, but a lot more fun. The reader in the audible version does an excellent job of performing the book. Stick with it. Sir Nigel,a prequel,is more straightforward, more adventurous but less comedy.

Well I have read it so I don't really need to stick with it :) It's fun, but not one to re-read, I don't think.

Rather like Valley of Fear. The narrative in two timelines was a nice change of pace.

Hardmode: Professor Challenger stories.

Well, a Study In Scarlet does the same thing.

But both fail the most important test:

DOES THIS BOOK CONTAIN AN ENORMOUS,TERRIFYING, PHOSPHORESCENT HOUND?

>Based Dylan, he makes Holmes so needlessly and aggressively racist it's hilarious.
You realize Doyle probably didn't actually write that one, yes?