What do you think of this Veeky Forums?

I think its pretty fucking stupid

Other urls found in this thread:

telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/12/harper-lee-mark-twain-banned-minnesota-schools/
youtube.com/watch?v=yUq2d2OFRkk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

forgot link:

telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/12/harper-lee-mark-twain-banned-minnesota-schools/

I dunno because my kids started using it ever since I found BBC for my wife and she accidentally moaned it out loud.

Censorship is stupid in general. You either have to be very obvious that you are cherry-picking, or you just have to kill half of culture/art.

Sure, let's ban any book with the word nigger on it. It's not like those students will go home, boot up Spotify, and listen to the very same word being sung/rapped at them in any of the Top 40 songs.

>banning To Kill a Mockingbird in the name of anti-racism
This will never not be hilarious. But anyway, kys over posting this shitty /pol/ baiting thread OP.

seriously, is there not a single english teacher there that can point that out?

They're secretly banning it for being anti-#metoo.

>Minnesota schools
I didn't even know this was a thing

this has been happening for decades

this, but unironically
>justice might prevail across different ethnicities, without any need for group representation, if people are willing to overcome their prejudices and seek the truth
>innocent until proven guilty is more important than ensuring that every victim gets the justice they deserve
>people will lie about very serious things for the most retarded reasons imaginable, so a single persons testimony by itself means very little
To kill a mockingbird is an enlightenment novel to the core, and there's no place for that in identity politics.

This shit has been happening for years.
I lucked out, because the school board of my high school really hated the censorship meme.

I had to read it in a Canadian catholic school a decade ago.
To my knowledge there wasn't anything that was too inappropriate and got removed from the english curriculum. That may be different now though

They're not banned, they've just been taken off the syllabus children *have* to study. It says in the article the books are still in the library.

Remember when liberals used to rightly mock and fight against this kind of stuff?
I think I still do if I concentrate really hard

>implying anyone ever reads the article and not just the headline
>implying anyone on this board reads and doesn't just romanticize reading

The racial slur stuff is just an excuse to ban books written by white men. That's the real goal in all this. They really think they're going to end racism by exposing people to minority authors but people aren't stupid and they'll resent the lame social engineering.

In the end it's going to hurt minorities because if they truly merited the attention they would have gotten it, so it follows that they're subpar authors. This contributes to the stereotype that blacks are awful at everything.

The social engineers in this country are so stupid they just might destroy it.

>they're not banned just being slowly memory holed

Glad they're getting shit-tier literature out of the schools using whatever excuses possible.

Harper Lee isn’t a white man though

fuck somalians, they are niggers and need to be repatriated. i didn't mark twain to reach this viewpoint.

So what, there are good books that don’t contain the word nigger and the school doesn’t want it in the curriculum since it’s potentially hurtful. The books are still available in the library so what’s the big deal?

Oh boy it's this thread again.

The problem is that criteria based on which we are deciding what kinds of books should be read and taught in schools are terminally retarded.

because they are incredibly important books in terms of the US and its history. Hell, TKAM teaches us more about racism than any extra-curricular class could.

As you get older you'll come to find people are stupider than you thought they would be. The more we try to sugar-coat or bubble wrap the world, the more complacent and foolish we will become.

Mockingbird is a shitty book anyways, but banning Twain in an American school would be like if French students weren't allowed to read Hugo or Balzac

I agree, but surely there are others that can take their place?
Explain, why?

thats insane, its intellectually dishonest, I say have the books in the classroom, read them aloud and then discuss what the significance of those words mean to people and why they are an issue. Otherwise its just allows the dumber kids an opportunity to use "nigger" freely when the crowd around the Xbox.

>The books are still available in the library

Until they're quietly removed for the same reason.

not the first time

youtube.com/watch?v=yUq2d2OFRkk

>potentially hurtful
OOF
OUCH
OW
THAT WORD BROKE MY CLAVICLE

>I agree,
>but surely there are others that can take their place?
so then you don't agree, faggot

>Explain, why?
if i have to explain why banning a book because you think a word is "hurtful" is a bad idea then you wouldn't understand my explanation anyways
i suggest a prompt and swift suicide as a cure to your maladies

Oh come on, is it really that strange that a school don’t want the teachers to have to say nigger? Do you not have any empathy at all?
No, I do. There can be more than two important american books.

>No, I do. There can be more than two important american books.
Nigga, if that were what this is about lefties would argue for teaching specific books instead of to kill a mockingbird, tom sawyer, etc. based on some specific literary quality. They're clearly just brain-dead monkeys who think that reading the word nigger in a book is going to corrupt their children's minds.

Wasn’t Mockingbird put into the curriculum for political purposes to begin with?

They don't have to say it, they aren't reading it aloud to a bunch of five year olds. They just have to explain the cultural context (as if the kids didn't already know) and tell the kids that they expect them to be mature enough to handle it. If somebody isn't then there are clearly bigger problems there.

So you don't disagree that the motivation behind putting it off the curriculum is questionable?

"Banned books" are newspeak for books one is forced to read.

Every few years they make another row about "banning" classice books everyone is forced to read to ensure the moral outrage makes everyone read them for another 10 years.

Its fucking Orwellian.

Both to kill a mockingbird is racist trash in the same vien as 'the birth of a nation' 1917. You only live it because the obvious racist tropes are aimed squarely at white boys and it venerates blacks.

Books and ideas truly have been banned but youll never find them on some "banned" book list.

No, I agree.
You are right.

To be honest I’m kind of playing devil’s advocate here.

Any book that displays any real philosophical acumen or valuable knowledge has already been banned.

Its part of the erasure or our history. The derivative cultural marxist trash you so revere is obvious claptrap propaganda.

Your authors mere flim flam men.

Any book is put into the curriculum for political purposes brainletto

Then why is anyone upset about this

because nigger

Damn
Made me think unironically