/fitlit/ thread, what books does Veeky Forums consider essentials?

/fitlit/ thread, what books does Veeky Forums consider essentials?

I'm reading Jordan Peterson's new book. It's pretty good. Normie-core at this point, but yolo.

The myth of Sisyphus is shit. Boring and overlong. Just read the stranger and you'll get everything you need.

Self help books aren't bad, as long as you don't start preaching it as the new bible and make yourself sound like a fool. "How to win friends and influence people" by Carnegie is the best self help book I ever read. It's straightforward and instantly applicable.

Read classics

>claims to be Veeky Forums
>reading anything but the classics

Never gonna make it, breh.

I think both are good and worth your time. They over the same point in different ways and often times it's easier to see how his points directly relate to you in Sisyphus. Also I believe the edition OP posted also has the Minotaur in it, which is great as well.

For me personally the thing that got me off my ass and motivated me to really puts myself in all aspects of my life was Marcus Aurelius' meditations

>what books does Veeky Forums consider essentials?

The Bible.

The clasic tales of SS by M.Rippityde

Start with the Greeks. Seriously not even memeing.

If you insist on not reading classical Greek lit then try Steppenwolf by Herman Hesse.

By all means read Jordan Petersons book but realise its only advice. Greek philosophy and thought provoking stories that challenge your thinking are GOAT.

I would say "Beyond Good and Evil" as long as you aren't going full fedora and instead actually trying to understand it.

I'm serious. Telling someone to read the myth of Sisyphus is a terrible idea. They'll hate you for it and they'll be right. Its pretentious and overcomplicated for no apparent reason. Camus probably just wanted to show off about all the philosophers he had read. It's an advanced book and you shouldn't read it until you have read the Greeks and most of the western philosophers. It's definitely not an "essential". The stranger, on the other hand, is very accessible, well written and it doesn't hammer you over the head with its lessons. It's like a much superior version of the myth of Sisyphus.

The meditations are good. Seneca's letter is another one.

>I'm reading Jordan Peterson's new book.
You're probably the same kind of person who makes fun of your gf for reading The Hunger Games.
pic rel at you

this.
Stop reading meme books and start reading goat tier shit if you really want to improve yourself.
studies show that people who read good fiction are better at empathy, interpersonal communication, and verbal skills. Reading fiction is like getting reps of social interactions.

I'll grant that The Stranger is goat, but Myth of Sisyphus is definitely not boring. Not a good first entry to Camus, though.

>Bible
>too many cooks
Everyone should read it to understand the cultural references in a lot of classical literature, but it's not "good" by any means.
Try Icelandic sagas if you like old texts with good narratives (and sometimes morality stories)! Based Snorri Sturluson in the 1300s writing about the years 999-1000? Yes pease.

I know it's a meme, but if you claim to be Veeky Forums you really should read Starting Strength. It takes an afternoon and that's it.

>You're probably the same kind of person who makes fun of your gf for reading The Hunger Games.
Heh... you think you're clever, huh? Well, jokes on you. I'm
>tfw no gf

>le 2kewl4u contrarian post
Fuck off, hipster faggot

Been reading Schopenhauer lately. Great if you want to turn into an even more of a misanthropic cunt.

Seconding Steppenwolf and Hesse in general.

Shit taste

He's like Stirner in that he has some worthwhile tidbits to consider but adopting his mindset completely is a recipe for disaster

>transcendental idealism
Absolutely disgusting

The Pre-Socratics in general aren't talked about enough on here.