Can we take a moment to dissect the incredibly unique literary properties the greater-than sign has evolved on this...

Can we take a moment to dissect the incredibly unique literary properties the greater-than sign has evolved on this website? It's almost impossible for me to describe its uses in a way that'd make sense to someone who doesn't use this site. I think the only reason we understand its possible meanings is through gradual exposure, because it was certainly never spelled out to me.

>hes unironically emo attached to the meme arrow

it all starting with the
>implying implications
meme on /v/ all those years ago. Then it became
>2011
>still doing X

And the rest is history.

>quoting, implying, satirizing

We also use it to quote

>tfw no post-ironic greentext Nobel Prize winning novel

Ever seen fags meme arrowing on facebook? Looks so wrong.

BECAUSE IT DOESNT TURN TEXT GREEN ITS DEAD MEME ARROWING A PALE SHADOW AN IMPOTENT JOKE

It's not that unique, it's just a quote sign. E-mail still uses it, message boards use it, it was common on older Internet.

But I can't even fully put into words what the greentext is indicating in its ">implying" context. It feels it's actually serving two purposes: one tonal and one conceptually visual. I once brought the subject up in a thread and found that everyone who talked about it with me admitting to reading condescending greentexts in a very specific "tone." A sly, condescending, monotone one. It also seems to directly call to find the specific face Costanza is making in the bat photo, or the meme's precursor, pic related. The symbol is wholly defined by the amalgam of contexts it has been adjacent to, without any one person deciding on an official meaning

He's talking about the meaning the sign has been given thanks to the unique cultural context within which it exists for imageboard culture, and in that sense he is right in considering it pretty unique.

I already described its uses in another post. It's simply used for laying down your premises. Whether it's a quote, a modified quote used to ironize someone, the implications of what user said or whatever else, it all boils down to laying the premises.

>the meme's precursor, pic related
>no pic

Nobody reads the quoted text in an email as someone putting an sceptic voice and reading it.

>pic related
Whoops, meant to add this

It does, but it clearly does more than that too. It isn't so simple

We had the "translated by bing!" meme in /p/. Which was like meme arrow but even more caustic, but you may possibly never heard of it before.

It's the logical evolution of internet/forum lingo. Speech in this format was bound to turn on itself and transform into a deeply symbolic and self-aware meta-speech.

i feel like there’s more than a few things you could try to explain about this site to someone and most of it wouldn’t be fully understood

Its all games.

laying down the premises is just its purpose though. it isn't meant to be more than that but it always ends up being so if you take in account the creativity of anons and their personal relationship to the information they're endorsing/deriding through the meme arrow

So its established uses include:
>highlighting a specific section of a post to direct a response towards it
>a condescension so extreme, it implies that restating the position or claim alone is enough to discredit it
>listing items in an uncluttered way (like I'm doing now)
>putting emphasis on or calling attention to something noteworthy

But here are some examples of uses I can't neatly define:
">you will never hold her hand" or ">2008 was ten years ago" (representing a kind of voice of the conscience? or giving the cruelty of life a voice it uses to remind you of its nature?)
">be me" and the grammatical/narrative staples of greentexting

There is also an entire grammatical structure experienced posters all universally understand and adhere to when using greentext that again, is never explicitly stated

You must be a pretty bad meme arrower.

So what you're saying is lurk moar?

>">you will never hold her hand" or ">2008 was ten years ago" (representing a kind of voice of the conscience? or giving the cruelty of life a voice it uses to remind you of its nature?)
Is this a modern version of the greek chorus?

I find amazing the fact that we give it a tone of voice. No one told us how it should sound, but we all agree and understand its meaning, which is very precise too.

I was very stoned once and realized this site is, mostly, a comedy site and the meme arrow is one of the tools we use, reaction images are another.

>every post is in essence one user's personal tragedy

well i am pretty new to this site and almost never used meme arrows so i guess you're right :(

">Be me" is newfag cancer though. I remember when greentexting stories back in ~2008-10 used to be derided as a sign you're new (instead of just relating your story in a typical prose). Also, whatever happened to >mfw? It too was decried as a sign of decline of the greentext arrow, eventually incorporated into Veeky Forums in general (thanks /sp/) and now it's barely used.

Those last two seem to be just 'that feel when' statements.

"Mfw" was lame shit, it refered to the image you were posting too, a very primitive form. Akin to these shit facebook memes where the caption says "me, all the time".

Shit comes and goes. I don't even remember all of the memes that I have used, all of the memes lost.

Not even the most classic reaction images? Like smug George Takei or Kornheiser's Why? Come on son. Not all images are meant to be remembered anyways, that's how internet memes work.

This is all thanks to hiro wordfiltering desu and senpai. It created a kind of ironic counter-push where everyone used desu excessively, and now it's died back down, but at the same time abbreviations in general have gone out of fashion.

Im very glad for that, t.bh, fa.m and all that trash is nigger speak.

Anyone heard of the greentext collection some autistic Fin published? (He even did it off a grant I believe.)
It’s on amazon, and on greentext.org for free. I thought it was quite nice.

>who are you replying to, user

green text is literally just the participle, frequently with an implied subject

baka desu senpai

newfag here, what are the current word filters?

Cuck i think

I now actually use "desu" to mean "t b h". Like, I actually type out desu

if you post 'I am a huge faggot' it is replaced with 'real communism has never been tried' and vice versa

cuck but in all caps
KEK

comedy chevrons are my favorite

#metoo
1984 is real /b/ros

I don't even know what you're trying to meme desu

newspeak i guess

Isn't it astounding? If you want to get really deep into it, I think this ties in with another very interesting phenomenon occurring in western society

Comedic talent is a specialized skill, and one that relatively few people have, or at least to any notable extent. In the past (this is a generalization I know, but I think it's somewhat accurate) humor was handled accordingly, with "wit" being regarded as a talent, and humor was understood to only be appropriate under some circumstances. Plenty of people weren't funny, but they knew that and everyone understood that humor is one of many desirable traits one can have, and is not essential.
However, the invention of social media has distorted humor's role in the public domain. Every individual is now expected to become a producer of content. Notice how Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, and Youtube all have little or no technical differences between personal accounts (target audience are individuals known personally outside of social media) and public accounts (target audience are individuals who do not know you personally) and every private account can easily become a public content producer without changing "modes."
Accounts run by people with good senses of humor naturally rose in popularity, and their content became dispersed across the platforms. Overtime, this led to comedy and quality becoming equated in the mind of the general public, and emulating the humor became highly incentivized.
Everyone is now expected to be funny, and not being funny is considered a personal failure to meet a standard
This directly led to the leak of meme culture out of small communities where they were partially serving as indicators of group identity, into the mainstream. Memes, particularly the ones majorly popular now, are templates to be filled. We are outsourcing comedic talent to the producers of those templates, because conceptualizing a structure within a joke can be made is a big part of comedic talent. Some templates have even transcended meme status and become linguistic constants in the lives of many: "when _______" and "same" don't require any comedic talent at all to properly use, because they simply create an expectation of humor in reference to a subject. They have become tics. "Memes" in the formal sense of the word. A repeated mechanism that feigns comedic talent to influence social status.

>because conceptualizing a structure within a joke can be made
*within which

KEK
let's try this one more time

Nice post. Yeah, comedy alongside with irony, which isnt a mode of communication anymore, but a mode of being in reality, an identity, it all became ways of being that you portray systematically, its the old persona or mask concept, but what once was decorum today is a means of engaging attention, like tour peers were potential customers -thats why mega corporative brands talk like any chump in the street in their social media, they have this persona too-, its all really freaky.

tldr: memes are memes

baka desu senpai was filtered by moot, it was the best parting gift we could have hoped for. Hiro's English is way too bad to make similar decisions. Let's just hope he'll never enable utf8 emoticons.

sometimes a greentext is just a green text

This is why (partially besides being really boring) I never caught on social media. Its weird because I have made some great jokes and people generally laugh around me during conversations but in written text I lose every ounce of humor.

Meanwhile people on Reddit, Facebook or Twitter rake in the fame by their constant wit or irony, you can be someone people would like to know about.

Its made something of a mentally challenged class of internet users but humor challenged, I may as well be re-----.

I do use social media, but I think I've found the healthiest and least problematic way of using it. I just make meme-free content that I think people will. I won't force myself to post, I'll just do it once something funny or interesting comes to mind that I think people other than myself would enjoy hearing. Don't be passive aggressive, don't be unnecessarily open about your personal struggles and use it as a bitching platform, don't post for the sake of posting, don't say things you wouldn't say in real life, don't hide behind constant irony, don't try to maintain an image of yourself. Don't try to put all of you on display, that's how your confidence gets fucking destroyed on social media.
It's really not that hard, I'm sure more people will figure it out as we move forward

>I just make meme-free content that I think people will.
*will enjoy

lol

Reading this thread has made me extremely conscious of using it
>mfw

〉greentext needs to be green to hear the greentext voice.

>pic related
What did he mean by this

It actually does
>lol

k this man is clearly actually insane, as a fellow insane person I recognize the signs

check the replies

Try posting this again without the Constanta image. You’re cheating.

I don't know that greentext is anything special. You can use it in place of @ if you were responding to an argument, or in place of speech marks if you were humiliating someone for holding a point of view. Probably only the pic related response to the greentext if you were making fun of someone is unique to Veeky Forums desu.

I know you're new just from reading this post. Isn't it magical?

ishygddt

>implying
See

〉posting Costanza is cheating.

>

No effect whatsoever.
also,
>putting a dot at the end
Know how I know you're new?

>You can use it in place of @ if you were responding to an argument
>implying

>10725658
this is how you avoid giving (You)s directly out of disgust for the crappy bait

In my head this sounds like a confused old man yelling with no tonal inflection, trying to fit in

Sorry it doesn’t work.

@10725675
"no"

>nobody even mentions the use of meme arrows to tell greentext stories.

>>putting a dot at the end
You are the first person I've ever seen call someone out on that. You're full of shit, oldfag LARPer.

>being this new
>putting a dot at the end of a greentext line
ishygddt

Veeky Forums discourse is generally really good.

>a dot

It's a full stop you morons

I do enjoy how Veeky Forums, particularly slow boards, feels more democratic than other social media. While (You)s are a way of drawing attention to particular posts, there's no formal upvote or "like" system and so it feels more like an actual discussion or a shit-talking session with friends than it does "creating content".

How anglosaxonocentric of you.

The anonymity is a big part of it too.

It's a dot, period, full stop.

Internat related

I made a meem

pls don't steal

Agreed, the anonymity is crucial. It means you can dip in and out of threads as you wish, you don't have a fixed identity to live up to or which follows you around. With every post you are reborn.

100% agreed, especially on Veeky Forums. Great discourse even crops up in the shittier boards pretty regularly. I've had some surprisingly good conversations on /v/

I see nothing wrong with that picture

>every post you are reborn
Or with every post you die

All from the same thread:
Check them yourself, but I believe none of them are quotes.

probs the same user

That too! That's the trade off.

>implying you don't need to die to get reborn

You are both autists, but you are a bigger one, and wrong.

And it doesn't stop there. The anonymity doesn't just enable the writer of the post to be true to himself, but it makes the reader of a thread the ultimate judge, with all the theses laid out in front of him by an all-equal crowd of posters.

post some examples?

I personally like the communication codes attached to greenposting. It conveys irony very efficiently, whether it be by way of
>implying
or just saying stuff like
>phrase A
>phrase B
Pick one.

Or just overall quoting someone and just writing a stupid 'kek' or a moronic brainlet wojak.

>still using the "pick one" meme

>not using it