Wait is this where the word Savant comes from?

wait is this where the word Savant comes from?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_BNjJutK_4A
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>French, from Middle French, from present participle of savoir to know, from Latin sapere to be wise

learn to use a dictionary fuckhead

Oh what a fucking coincidence a 10 year old with a 228 IQ is named Savant. kys retard

Yeah it's just a coincidence retard. You're the one that should kys

>creative excuse to talk about the girl in the pic

Has she actually done anything notable in the way of intellectual work.

She answered a simple probability problem in a magazine column.

IQ research is an extremely questionable field to begin with, and they still claim you shouldn't pay attention to scores over a certain level.

Reminder that differing tests, age, and time all affect the resulting value. Just saying a single value is basically meaningless without context.

IQ is always meaningless retard

>IQ research is an extremely questionable field to begin with
yeah because it's racist. That's really the only reason. As a secondary reason it shows that intelligence is partly genetic

The reason I know this is because nobody who says 'IQ scores are questionable' ever goes on to propose ways to make the studies better. This literally never happens. Instead they might suggest just banning that kind of study

>renowned for having an extraordinarily high IQ
>contributions to society amount to a syndicated column in Vanity Fair

>Smartest person ever
>Contributed literally nothing to the benefit mankind
Women were a mistake

>Woman with the highest IQ
>Most she did was answer questions in some rag

Really makes me think

I assume you watched the Vox video and your obsession with masturbating over IQ led you to make a post here, where you could have a group masturbation session.

t. brainlets who wouldn't switch doors

That question is really just common sense.

most people who rely on common sense to answer it say it doesn't matter what you do.

Edmund Kemper is named giant, what a coincidence. Just obvious that we live in a bad simulation, man

Did you read her Wikipedia page? It entirely tears her apart.

she prob did have a very high iq score, but practised a lot. Thats one of the issues wih them, you can significantly improve with practise or if youre in an occupation with similar problem solving tasks

She's so high IQ she realizes she doesn't even need to do anything worthwhile to succeed.

but the entire idea of reducing intelligence to a single linear scale is kind of ridiculous, don't you think?

or do you really think that the answer to "how intelligent is this person?" is so simple it can be expressed with one number?

That's just because they don't understand percentages or chance.

>yeah because it's racist
No, because it has a history of some truly terrible gathering and analysis of statistics, along with a starting position that it has yet to prove is of the relevance they claim it is, never mind that they had even less proof of the data's accuracy and relevance back then. That they don't even pretend to be able to measure scores over a certain level is a red flag of its own: what kind of test of human intelligence is unable to measure certain levels of supposed intelligence without losing all credibility?

>She's so high IQ she realizes she doesn't even need to do anything worthwhile to succeed.

If you had a high IQ you would know that the terrible and merciless perception of your own capacities, combined with the realization of the time you are wasting (it doesn’t matter how much you work, this taste never leaves the palate of the soul), the uncertainty whether you possess creative powers or don’t, and the constant comparison with the meaningful figures of history can be quite atrocious for the brain: the oil from the witches broth.

Narcotics cannot still the Tooth
That nibbles at the soul –

Is almost as if you were forever feeling crushed by the weight of the thousands of lives you are not living. And will never live It is extremely difficult to feel the lightness in the shoulders and silky thoughts of the “Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind”.

That said, to the point:

>Why do you guys think that Marilyn never succeeded in making any contributions for the Sciences or the Arts?

t. low iq

>the verbiage and stilted prose in this post

youtube.com/watch?v=_BNjJutK_4A

>the post

That from some guy that must love Pynchon

They shut me up in Prose –
As when a little Girl
They put me in the Closet –
Because they liked me “still” –

Still! Could themself have peeped –
And seen my Brain – go round –
They might as wise have lodged a Bird
For Treason – in the Pound –

Himself has but to will
And easy as a Star
Look down opon Captivity –
And laugh – No more have I –

There is no reason for using the same down-to-earth and medication-package-insert prose that anyone uses if you can be inventive. Why do what everyone else can also do?

Funny that our age still glorifies Shakespeare but is highly suspicious and critic of ornament when ornamentation – metaphors and similes – where the main feature of Shakespeare’s greatness.

The spawn of Hemingway and "The Elements of Style" is truly a sad bunch of verbal-anemics.

you're on Veeky Forums, autismo

I'm not saying you shouldn't use prose -- I'm saying your prose is awful and comically inappropriate in the given context.

Not only that, but the standard test is applied without distinction, isn't it? That is to say, don't they apply the same text to a college graduate from America and to a tribesman from Africa? If that's so, no wonder the results are what they are.

>ornamentation – metaphors and similes – where the main feature of Shakespeare’s greatness
hm.
so.
metaphor is the essence of all language. it is the primary mode of conveying meaning. as there is no direct correspondence between word and object, we are always striking at our target indirectly, through expressions that can only connect the concepts and images they invoke with their intended through stronger or weaker threads. they can never superimpose the two, never attain unity.
discarding this identity you've made between ornamentation and the basic operation of language, let's look at this other claim: that ornamentation is the main feature of shakespeare's greatness. what does this look like to you? do you have a specific passage in mind? would you share it?

I respect your vision user.

I'm sure you're insufferable IRL though.

>I'm saying your prose is awful and comically inappropriate in the given context.

I admit: I am forcing my hand a lot here. There are just days were I like to relax and write in a style that pleases me for its very exaggeration. When I write seriously I try to be not that much in-your-face. If I where writing a novel I probably would be somewhat suspicious of coloring the prose as much as I am doing here.

Yet I admit that I love detail and ornament. I wonder what the classical Greeks, with their love of balance and form and proportion, with their marble Parthenon’s of smooth contours and naked lines, would think when seeing a gothic cathedral and it’s forests of small statues, it’s thousands of gargoyles, saints and angels.

But I know how to write very clean and simple prose, with brief sentences and clear exposition of meaning. And I admit that ornamentation can lead very quickly to indigestion if one is not cautious and doesn’t know how to use variety.

>I'm sure you're insufferable IRL though.

No, I am quite humble and polite. I would love to have friends to talk about literature while drinking bear in a pub, watching the pretty girls pass and commenting the last football games.

bingo

It's not hard to make friends if you're humble and polite, you sound just a little reserved. Good luck with your work.

>It's not hard to make friends if you're humble and polite, you sound just a little reserved.

You hit the nail in the head.

>Good luck with your work.

Thank you. I whish you the same.

If you're ever in Dublin, I'd buy you a pint user, and we can talk about Joyce and Swift and Synge and Sterne.