Which philosopher do you keep coming back to?

Which philosopher do you keep coming back to?

For me, it's the comfy Greek of sensible pleasures and the humble simple life.

Kevin McDonald
Schopenhauer (just 'On Women' really)
Hitler
Peterson

Stephen mollynew

Nietzsche

Marcus Aurelius

marx

David Hume comes up a lot for me. That guy was just so fucking sensible about everything, he's like an antidote to madness

Socrates, Diogenes and Italo Calvino

had to drink the is/ought problem away every night though

Epictetus
Socrates

I don't think he drank much, he often talks about his 'sobriety' though that might just mean his temperament

lol
lol
hmm
bug
hmm
hmm
kind of think you're a fag but hmm

Just because you are attracted to me, that does not make me gay... it makes you a wishful thinker.

Ok, drop your own smug man

it was normal for a man to have two or three bottles of wine a day at that time desu.

pretty comfy

...and the wine wasn't that strong or filtered

Plenty of them did it with fortified wine. Drinking was serious business back then, we have all become become cultural lightweights since.

yeah but hume clearly wasn't getting wrecked every day, I mean just read his stuff. Some of them didn't drink at all

OP, have you even read...Heidegger?

Is Nietzsche as important as I often hear? I've read the antichrist long ago (is it worth rereading?) and I'm reading Zarathustra currently. desu Zarathustra seems so far like he couldn't decide between writing a novel or an essay so he made half and half and end some up losing the best parts of both forms. spews out completely unexplained/undeveloped statements as bold facts then contradicts them as much as Varg.

Plato
>inb4 tryhard
He raises good ideas every few passages and has actually dialogues. Everything relevant as a base for further philosophy, politics is still relevant today unitonically.
Also Descartes - desu haven't read much Descartes but I often need to go back to cogito ergo sum, it's particularly important moving into the existentialists (which I'm focusing on reading atm)

i like epicurus too

>Is Nietzsche as important as I often hear?

Sorta. He's so much of a meme that he is worth reading only because of the influence he's had even if the actual content isn't all that great, or even misconstrued by "fans". You need to read him a couple of times before it "clicks" though.

One thing I found most interesting is how he clearly didn't believe in what he wrote as much as he wants us to think, or as if he was trying to convince himself. He failed at creating some kind of escape from the problems he described, even if his criticisms are lucid and valid. Then he realized that Stirner and Kirkegaard had come much further than he had and he went insane.

"Stirner laughs in his blind alley while Nietzsche beats his head against the wall" - Camus