The Harry Potter series would've been regarded as one of the greatest fantasy series of all time if Rowling didn't drop...

>The Harry Potter series would've been regarded as one of the greatest fantasy series of all time if Rowling didn't drop the ball and make the 7th book a videogame-esque macguffin collectathon

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1-w-bt80EWqTHL8VdrANYU1QStEVBh87ahPiIqLHC41c/mobilebasic
booklist.rassaku.net/
fanfiction.net/s/7352166/1/
fanfiction.net/s/3862145/1/
archiveofourown.org/works/1075603
archiveofourown.org/works/31644
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

"No"

Nice argument

Also, if he died like every respectable hero, instead of resurrecting, misleading an entire generation into believing that you eat your cake and have it too

I always took that to be Harry as a Christ figure. Hence the double meaning of the chapter title, "King's Cross."

The end battle with Voldemort basically being decided by a byzantine chain of ownership being passed along for the super wand was pretty dumb too. "Aha, I win because you see person A didn't really give up ownership so person B never had it to transfer ownership to you thus it defaults to me!" is not even remotely satisfying.

and the whole babyboomer dream it turned into. you can take the middle-aged white woman out of the bourgeois, but you can't take the bourgeois out of the middle aged white woman.

They should've stayed in school and there should've been more lore. There should've been more books with mysteries that are not Voldemort related. Voldemort should've been in maybe 3 books with some clues scattered here and there in the rest of the books. It should've been less focused on action and more on building a rich world with some detective things that kids do. She also failed to do this in the play. It starts almost alright, but then kids gain fucking powers of time travel and change everything. Why not make more mild story about kids finding out that there are fucking wizard moon missions and that wizards live inside of the moon? Anything is better than time travel.

Agreed

It already is regarded as one of the greatest fantasy series of all-time. Sullen NEETs on Veeky Forums may not like Rowling's mom politics, but they can't end Harry Potter's cultural influence and popularity. Most of them read every single entry in the series when they were children, probably multiple times. If liking Harry Potter is beyond their own personal control, how can they hope to stop others from enjoying it also?

The epilogue was so atrocious. She had the perfect ending with Harry meeting Dumbledore's portrait in the headmaster's office and getting applauded but she ruined it.

That's why you get hooked on fanfiction and waste your life.
A few recommendations:

Personal favorites
>After the End
>Aunt Marge's Even Bigger Mistake
>The Changeling
>On the Way to Greatness
>A Long Journey Home

Bretty gud
>Hermione Granger: Demonologist
>On the way to Greatness
>Applied Cultural Anthropology
>Resurrexit
>Ectomancer
>The Unforgiving Minute
>Strangers at Drakeshaugh
>Wand And Shield
>Backwards with Purpose

Good romance
>Unlike A Sister
>The Augurey
>The Never-Ending Road
>Turn
>Grow Young With Me
>Vox Corporis

Which ones are lewd

Some of my ideas to fix Book Seven:
>Harry brings Ginny along so she can become an actual character
>they get involved with the resistance movement instead of waiting in a house
>the Horcruxes have more insidious effects than making people upset, maybe Ginny goes apeshit
>we see more consequences of an occupied Wizarding World
>the epilogue never happens, maybe we end with a meaningful conversation between the characters
Dunno, it could have been better

docs.google.com/document/d/1-w-bt80EWqTHL8VdrANYU1QStEVBh87ahPiIqLHC41c/mobilebasic
There's a smut list here, but quite a few are pretty atrocious.
I'd recommend:
>Parkinson's Knickers (Harry/Pansy)
>A Boy and His Cloak (Harmony)
>It Could Only Happen to Harry (Harry/Multiple)
>The Secret by MrBenzedrine (Harmony)
>The Favour by mrs.milfoy (Harry/Narcissa)
>Whatever Happened to Bromance? (Harry/Romilda)
>Tease (Harry/???, non-con)

Harry Potter was garbage from the beginning.

I remember reading the first book as a kid, really enjoying it and never again caring about the Franchise.

>The Favour by mrs.milfoy (Harry/Narcissa)

>one of the greatest fantasy
nowhere that level. Hopefully within 40 years it will be forgotten. Everything after the third book has been shit.

Yeah, Ginny and Harry romance felt very forced, it had no development at all until the 6th book. A lot of the problems with the worldbuilding was that the wizarding community in England seemed tiny. I mean the final battle was between like 50 or so death eaters and a bunch of schoolkids and their parents and a few people who lived in Hogsmeade. The stakes weren't as high as they could have been.

The epilogue should have been cut, there was no need for more resolution. Harry thinking about finally resting in his four poster bed back up in gryffindor tower was a great circular ending.

>A lot of the problems with the worldbuilding was that the wizarding community in England seemed tiny.
This makes sense though. Wizards would be a tiny minority of people. They wouldn't need to hide themselves from Muggles if there were enough of them to fight back.

It goes downhill aftet the 4th book.

The fourth book established that there were wizards in bulgaria, ireland, and france but this is completely ignored in later books.

There are wizards all over the world. Why wouldn't it be ignored? Bulgarian wizards aren't relevant to an English Wizarding School

No, it's not ignored. Grindelwald was a big part of the 7th book, Krum was even in the 7th book too at Bill and Fleur's wedding.

Cultural influence and popularity, of course HP is unbeatable in those spheres, but they are weakly correlated to greatness and Rowling is far from an important writer.

The government itself was infiltrated. Were the other wizarding governments just waiting it out? What about international trade? What about power struggles. Had Voldemort not been foiled then surely he woulf have turned outward and with his superweapon of the elder wand? Shit is still stupid.

Voldemort is wizard Hitler. Your questions are just as dumb as asking what other countries were doing during the beer hall putsch. It was an internal affair and there was no reason for any other government to intervene.

>not even mentioning My Immortal

No, Grindelwald was wizard Hitler. I do agree however that Rowling really fucked the scale of the wizard community up, along with the size of Hogwarts. There was only like 280 kids at Hogwarts total.

you gotta add authors!

Ok Voldemort was wizard Trump then. The point is that the story is clearly focused on the English wizarding world. Maybe if Voldemort won he would've spread out and attacked other countries, but the story is about Hogwarts and set in England, other countries are irrelevant.

The point is that the scale of the wizarding community in England wasn't fleshed out properly. It was just another one of those things that didn't make much sense like the Trace.

give me more gay shit.

Even if the seventh novel wasn't a macguffin collectathon it still would've been one of the dullest franchises in the history of movie franchises. Each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though r-right
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

The scale of the wizarding community in England was fleshed out fine. It's very small. Wizards are like 0.1% of the population. The UK has a population of 65 million so there would be 65,000 wizards in the UK total. Considering they'd be spread around the country in pockets I think what we see in the books is reasonable.

Nice copy pasta

I'm actually a homo but I've found HP slash to be horrible, except for Turn by Sara's Girl. It's a great dimension-travel fic where Harry falls in love with Draco. Didn't expect to ever like that pairing but it's genuinely written well.

romance in general is usually trash, but I'll read any pairing if the stories are good. Mostly any pairing. Thanks for the rec. I'll check it out.

The azhkaban something is the best movie and book

I think the most numerous slash pairings in the fandom are Harry/Draco and Harry/Snape. I mean, slash is usually written by adolescent women, but it's particularly horrible in this case. I genuinely can't think of another one I like, and I'm the kind of person that browses Aoo3 when bored.
I think I need to get back to genre fiction at least.

Any good Luna Lovegood? She's best girl by far

If you're looking for gay genre fiction, I always default to Rassaku. She stopped updating her list in like... 2010, but what's there is pretty good, and I trust her opinions. She's actually probably more discerning than I am.

booklist.rassaku.net/

Sure. None I'd call great but there are some. I'm convinced all the best romance HP fics are Harmony written in the last 3 years desu, not sure where all the enthusiasm is still coming from.

fanfiction.net/s/7352166/1/
fanfiction.net/s/3862145/1/
archiveofourown.org/works/1075603
archiveofourown.org/works/31644

>you can take the middle-aged white woman out of the bourgeois, but you can't take the bourgeois out of the middle aged white woman.
user, Rowling started out poor.

Thanks for this, I've never really looked into gay novels. Unless we count Kerouac's On The Road.

Where is the lewd

>tfw someone besides me is still posting this pasta
God bless you user

no problem! i hope you find something you enjoy

how will wypipo ever recover?
YOU GO KWEEEEN

It's bad pasta

Rowling started out married

Is she available now?