What can people say about literature that IDs them as a pleb of the highest order?

>Shakespeare sucks, he was pretty much just the 50 shades of grey/pop lit of his era
>dude I know, they staged bear baiting in the intermissions of his plays, LMAO
>Romeo and Juliet isn't even a love story; it's a 'lust' story
>haha, people think Shakespeare is highbrow, but for his time he was really lowbrow

Would it be possible to engineer a gas chamber that only kills people who say stuff like this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AOQozTk5Gj0
youtube.com/watch?v=GQV1BgwHHaI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>shakespeare’s plays had dick jokes in them, he wasn’t smart
>shakespeare was the tarantino of his time

I wish.

Is disliking Shakeaspeare the only "pleb" trait you can think of?

Holden is such a whiner! OMG I can't stand him

It's a particularly ridiculous one and one of the most prevalent.

>The Count of Montecristo is the capeshit of its time
>Tolstoy is boring
>Mann is style over substance
>Hesse is for teenagers

Anything positive about Shakespeare.

Is thinking that Tolstoy is boring common? More so than plebs would find classics in general boring? If so that's crazy.

Retard.

This is true
>Hesse is for teenagers
Not for teenagers but definitely for twenty somethings

Plebs find the classics boring. Tolstoy just wrote the longest (and thus most boringest) classics.

Fuck, people are always saying that Jane Austen wrote the equivalent of modern romance novels. Yes, that's why she's considered the best novelist in English (debatably, but she's up there) and still widely read hundreds of years after her death. I'm sure every single author of romance novels today will be read, studied, and discussed in 2300.

>Russia has the best writers
>I don't get poetry
>The only Italian poet they've read is Dante

Russia has two of the best novelists ever, and probably the best short story writer ever.

There are two distinct flavours of pleb.

a) Basic bitch thug. Typical comment: "Poetry is just a lot of stupid nonsense."

b) Pseud who is basically (a) at heart but wants to appear cultured and superior. Typical comment: "I f*****g love poetry".

> Extremely developed and well-written characters, intricate and engaging plot with no loose ends, very good themes of guilt and revenge
> Capeshit

The only reason people think this is because of the """basic""" plot and prose that isn't so difficult to read you need a guide to help read it.

Creative Writing 101 Edition

>only writes about one topic
>excessive use of expletives
>"once upon a time"
>vehemently refuses to read books
>"plot and story are the same, right?"
>"very"
>bringing two laptops to class

These people are right though, you just don't like them because they're infringing on your pseud cred and social signalling abilities you get from reading Shakespeare.

>history is boring

>"plot and story are the same, right?"
I’m gonna reveal myself as a pleb here. I got what was wrong with all the others, but what’s the difference between plot and story?

Plot is the details, the mechanics of what happens; story is more general, a little more towards "theme".

Example:
KING KONG
Plot:
Ann Darrow is a penniless young lady in New York in the middle of the Depression. Overcome by hunger she is tempted to steal an apple from a stall and the owner catches her. A stranger steps in and pays for the apple. His name is Carl Denham...etc

Story:
A gigantic ape is discovered on a primitive island by a band of American adventurers; he falls in love with a blonde girl in their company. They bring him back to civilization. He breaks free and they kill him.

>Ishmael is the best character of Moby Dick
>Borges did not deserve the Nobel Prize
>Jules Verne is just for children
>Hemingway is an awful writer
>Jane Austen is a bad writer
>Evelyn Waugh is not underrated
>Dostoyevsky is a bad writer
>Lord of the Rings is Classic Tier

So they're morons if they say they don't like poetry and they're morons if they say they do?

>Jane Austen is a bad writer

She's shit

>Tolstoy is boring
I mean, Tolstoy is boring but that doesn't mean I can't still see him as genius. Which he was.

shoo, Mark, shoo

"Once upon a time" is the greatest and, quite frankly, only opening any work of fiction should ever use ever and you're a fucking retard if you disagree.

>greek mythology was the marvel and dc of the times

This board is fucking trash.

So 'what' vs 'how'?

More or less user.

Plot is more about structure, and story is what fills in that structure. Plot articulates cause and effect.

>Pynchon is pretentious
>Cormac McCarthy sucks

The reaction of a man who's main social signalling medium is being eroded

>most boringest
please user

Quality capeshit is still capeshit user

Obviously people are free to dislike Shakespeare but the reasons OP cited are terrible and poorly thought out.

Veeky Forums is a pretty bad board these days though, /pol/ seem to have killed a lot of the discourse.

“I think philosophy is important”.

>"Look if a book is more than 100 pages long, I'm not reading it haha"

Don't you have a community college culture studies class to "teach"?

"Lolita is actually kind of sexy". Faggy artsy guys and narcissistic girls actually say this. I've heard it from a few people.

>a book
>less than 100 pages

I shoot cumshots longer than that

>unaware he spends his entire life using Shakespeare's idioms & neologisms
>thinks he's being intelligent when his subconscious fires a misconceived pithy Shakespearean adage out of his mouth
>everyone above average IQ in the room thinks you're retarded but won't deign to correct you because you're an insincere self-deceptive jackass.
Just read the Bard famalam

Most people here say that, it's just retarded edginess.

To add to that

>writes about how much she hates her family
>only writes oppression narratives
>"1000 words? Jesus..."
>exclusively self-focused plots
>tangential complaining
>omniscient third person narrator that says "fuck" a lot

>1984 is my favorite book
>Moby Dick sucks, I don't want to sit through hundreds of pages of whale anatomy descriptions

>>"1000 words? Jesus..."

I don't get it

Agree with you but I do think LOTR is a classic. Tolkien invented fantasy.

here’s an easier one, the deep lines from shakespeare you dorks constantly put in books and conversation are extremely thread bare commentary on the human condition. shakespeare isn’t even remotely as interesting as the greeks he is aping and the obsession with wit and grandeur in his style is a sign of artistic mania, has nothing to do with genius and everything to do with being a syphillitic narcissist which is what most artists are. You confuse the beauty and eloquence of his works with meaning and importance. This is why MFA’s and lit people, the literati, those who focus on works of fiction are basically subhumans. And there’s a reasons Plato censored them, denigrated them repeatedly. Its a deforming kind of thought that especially playwrights engage in; there’s a near 1:1 connection between being a vapid quip machine and liking Shakespeare. Ive never in my life met someone above a midwit who drew from his works to prove a point philosophically. This goes for all authors who do this stupid shit with Milton and others included. You don’t see how narrow a field of expression fiction is, because it gives you status and you think the status is validation of your insightfulness and wisdom, or you don’t think insightful wisdom had value because you’re hedonistic subhumans. Artists should be tolerated, never celebrated and midwits are bound to be the worst kind of fellaters of the fiction writer. Its no coincidence the best philosophers only have nice things to say about the poets and musicians and basically neglect or spite writers.

Not that guy, but it's referring to workshops where you have to read your pieces as a group.

To add to that

>writing erotica and making others listen to you read it aloud
>spends more time talking about writing instruments than writing itself
>"could of"
>doesn't know how to use a comma
>semicolons connecting dependent clauses

>>"could of"
Nothing triggers me more reeeeee

>Harry Potter is the greatest fantasy book of ALL time.
>To kill a mockingbird is basically about whites saving the day. Its overall a racist book.

I'm better than you

Its kind of similar to dumb people who deny scientific consensus or think science is stupid vs dumb people who "fucking love science omg." Neither one actually knows anything about science. One is being willfully dense and ignorant (probably stemming from political or religious reasons) and the other is just going along with the trendy thinking of the day (probably stemming from political or social reasons).

>I had to read this book for class, I hate it because it's racist
>I read this book because it's written by a female author, arguably the greatest author all time, Jane Austen
>You should read Jane Austen lol, her books are like OLD but they're still so modern, you know what I mean?
I have nothing against Jane Austen but a lot of her readers are dumb retards

tfw no gf

>Not that guy, but it's referring to workshops where you have to read your pieces as a group.
Not him either but I still don't get it? They ask them to write 1000 words and they think it's a lot, is that it?

Yes that's it.

I honestly have never heard of anyone complaining about this in a writing workshop/class, though. Most people are there because they enjoy it. I understand that this fictional person just pretends, but still they should at least pretend to enjoy it, right? I took creative writing in college and I don't think I ever heard anyone complaining about any of the assignments, and I know from talking to people that some of them were only there because they thought it would be easy.

While we are describing this person, though:
>Thinks semi-colons are a cure-all for run-on sentences

My professor doesn't give two shits how long a project is, so most people in my class just write the bare minimum. Some people just don't like overachievers.

That's what an em dash is for.

That's cause Austen is entry-level for the classics. English 101 classes always have a novel or two of hers in their syllabus.

>Blocks your path

>Who are Robert E. Howard and Lord Dunsany

It is not on the same tier of Shakespeare though

basically anyone who is involved in "internet culture" (chantards, facebook retards, redditors etc). the internet is the antithesis of literature.
books and stories will always be around but the internet will and has fundamentally undermined serious literature

I feel this is mostly correct, and the compulsion to write fiction is a bug.

>>Ishmael is the best character of Moby Dick
Ishmael as a character far from the best, but as a narrator he's great.

>Mark Twain is a racist
I wanted to kill the girl who said that out loud. She even majored in Literature. Still makes me mad.

I hear this way too often

Yeah ive met those same dumbasses. Also met some who thought to kill a mocking bird is another form of the white mans burden.

>Shakespeare was white

He is still a cringy retard that likes to correct older people

>Russia has the best writers
historically this is true, at least it is way up there

>The only Italian poet they've read is Dante
that would be me, except I haven't read Dante yet

That is hilarious I am going to start saying this now.

>>Russia has the best writers
>historically this is true,

>blocks your path

>I don’t like poetry

>Dickens was the Stephen King of his time.

the internet was a mistake

Ironically disliking Shakespeare is something the British upper classes do all the time when they suggest he didn't write any of his plays as they regard him as "pleb," tier in terms of his social status.

I will literally deck anyone who says this in my presence.
The absolute state.

>has fundamentally undermined serious literature

No chance; you can use it to enhance your interest or distort your interest

thinking that Stephen King is a good writer

They're classists, user. This is a known criticism of the Shakespeare authorship debate.

Only Italian poet I can remember reading is Dante. I like poetry just haven't read Italians specifically. If someone has some recommendations I'll be happy to check them out.

People on this board who suddenly started dropping solzhenitsyn, dostoyestky, freud, jung, nietzsche etc into their replies just because internet daddy mentions them

>solzhenitsyn, dostoyestky, freud, jung, nietzsche
All of those have long been memes on this board besides Solzhenitsyn, and besides that just pretty big figures for the history of ideas from the 19th and 20th century on, again besides Solzhenitsyn.

Read On Writing by Stephen King

His understanding of story is superb

There's just something beautiful and powerful about great literature. I'm not sure anyone has accurately explained it yet. I think you're wrong, user.

damn...

The drunken crowd banter in the Lawrence Oliver film production of Henry V when they begin the frame narrative at The Globe is great. Really captures the mood of having a few drinks at the theatre with the lads.
youtube.com/watch?v=AOQozTk5Gj0

>oh I love george eliot, he's one of my favorite writers
>evelyn waugh? no, never heard of her

It is true that Shakespeare wrote for mass appeal though. He just happened to be really, really good. That's why it's ironic that there are people who love Shakespeare but are otherwise elitist.

>ywn never drunkenly jeer the Dauphin's foul mock because Shakespeare is supposed to be serious and listened to with dignified respect now
youtube.com/watch?v=GQV1BgwHHaI

It's bullshit lads

God I don't like you.

Art takes talent, dimwit. Yeah, Shakespeare was an artist and not a philosopher. He wrote fiction, not law. Maybe just learn to appreciate decent art, eh? Have you ever read a book to enjoy it, or do you just like complaining about how it would be a waste of time? Incase you didn't notice, this is Veeky Forums, as in a literature thread. For literature. That includes literary fiction, especially when it is done well, such as the works of Shakespeare.

"At least it gets kids into reading."

If prose is not clean and simple it is purple therefore bad writing.

Yes. It is incredibly common. Even my liter-ture teacher said it.

Anyone that thinks Tolstoy is boring doesn't deserve books. Why would you touch literature if you don't enjoy Tolstoy?

>rhyming is childish
>prose is superior to poetry

sorry but moliere and poe are unreadable, fuck rhymes

You've just Identified yourself