Camille Paglia

Opinions on her?

bloom/10

is it just contrarian bellicosity?

muh dick
Her and Hoff Summers

She and Ebert are at lest partially responsible for the cinematic environment of today. That's resson enough to hate her.

What do you mean?

Her intellectual support for awful popular culture (particularly star wars) pad the way for the awful poptimism that is dominant today.

If you read her she's actually quite insightful. However since we're on a board where nobody reads SHE IS A TOTAL PSEUD AND I HATE THE WORKS OF HERS I HAVEN'T READ

dude dont be rediculous lol, 99% of the country has never heard of her

What would you recommend of hers? I read about all the controversy surrounding her dissertation androgeny something, seemed suspicious

I once participated in a film club and the instructor was always amazed (maybe dissapointed) because whenever he asked us to make lists of the best movies we've ever seen, I'd chose good, quality films and would defend my choices according to my appreciation of the theories, etc., while my list of favorite films was filled with 2D Disney, musicals, SW and other children movies.

But yeah, as a die-hard fan of star wars, I undertand the sentiment. It should've remain as entertainment for children I can appreciate both the movies and EU because I lived them while young, but Disney Wars and modern games, etc. have shown me that it's really all too infantile. Simon Pegg was right about the pop-culture infantilization.

I think she's the only one to have truly nailed the transgender issue.

Her contention is that transition is being offered up and promoted as an answer to alienation. Naive teenagers are being sold a dream of rebirth. Sometimes it works out, but often the result is ruin.

>You run into Paglia in the Men's room

Seriously though, Sexual Personae is an impressive book. Not something to go all-in on, but it has lots of thought-provoking stuff.

Doesn't mean she had no impact. She did in intellectual circles what Ebert did in popular ones.

start here

A nobody, a fake feminist, just a reactionary who happens to be a woman. No one in academia takes her seriously.

Nice character assassination
Does it match your purse?

Star Wars (the original trilogy) is unironically a great work of art.

I'll debate this with any cineaste any time.

You got it wrong. The prequels are the ones with artistic merits.

Why do I keep hearing her say "I identify as transgender"? Is she just trying to be difficult?

>just a reactionary

imagine living in America in the second half of the 20th century and not being a reactionary

I wholeheartedly agree. I used to argue that the OT (as a whole) can be seen and appreciated the same way as we see fairy tales. SW was a great fantasy series featuring a great coming of age story. IMO, it's really weel made as aproximation of mature themes for the youth.

OG star wars is great if you keep in mind that it's a space opera and a deliberate retelling of the hero's journey

Dubs confirm. It's also a great alternative to raising your children on Disney Princesses films (like my parents did) and their mixed message-stories.

SW films were THE bed-time stories of mine. Luke gave me confort whenever Disney failed to assure me.

Star Wars began the decline of American film. It's dehumanizing, consumerist trash that managed to dupe idiots like Paglia.

Because few people watch it as a space opera. They watch it as a BADASS ACTION MOVIE with COOL CHARACTER AND PLACE NAMES TO MEMORIZE. Isn't Han BADASS? Isn't Darth Vader FUCKING TWISTED? DAMN Boba Fett is so COOL

Campbell's jungian bullshit has been a blessing on popular fiction since it's inception. Even as a space opera, Star Wars still offers nothing. Those who watch it as an action film have a better understanding of it than you.

Stories derived from archetypes have an unmistakable quality of enormity to them. You're already somewhat familiar with the ideas so you can feel it all moving behind the scenes. That's a great feeling to try to instill in a movie about an epic in space

>critics driving movies rather than profits
l o l

Lucas intended that from the beginning, that's why he purposefully made merchandising and even stated it was a children's movie.

>Camille Paglia liking The Phantom Menace is why movies suck nowadays
that's fucking retarded.

she has the oratory style of a coked out ratdog

besides that some of her opinions are interesting

the original star wars series was dank af tho, all the moneygrab shit in the 21st century is marvel comics tier

I was talking about her support for the first Star Wars.

yeah u would think after being a professor for like 30 years her oratory would be better

sexual personae is a compelling work of literary criticism
particularly her essays on spenser and shakespeare
i see 'embowerment' everywhere, as a consequence
woman is a fly trap
but what i realize now is that i want to resolve myself into her dewy ichor
i feed, i flail, i fill, i fall

There's something sick about using them as a means to sell toys. That's precisely what makes it so dehumanizing.

dial back the melodrama. theyre just toys so kids can have some fun.

dude im old enough to remember star wars in the 80s and as a little shit in elementary school i fuckin loved the toys (my working class hippy parents barely bought me any tho) but i would like go to a bit department store and just like chill in the star wars isle, brain overstimulated by all the various genera of humonoids, everyone hates star wars merchandising, but the merchandising is what made it so fucking great, it made it come alive and completely saturate your imagination, that's why millenials don't like the original films, they were never spammed with amazing toys, the toys didn't come with any narrative like a video game, u just looked at them and tried to figure out what kind of culture they came from and what kind of shit they did

>dehumanizing

>is marvel comics tier
I think it's actually worse. Marvel Studios films were half assed from the beginning, with Ironman's screenplay ebing written and directed with 12 hours of diference. That is why the humour is so shitty, they try to achieve the level of humor IM had with all the improvization it had by forcing it on all the movies.

Disney needs to burn.

Controlled opposition. Only in America is a smelly dyke considered a forefront "anti-feminist"

YADDA YADDA YADDA YADDA YADDA YADDA YADDA YADDA YADDA YADDA YADDA
OKAY?

Nobody wants anti-feminism, you absolute sperg.

>We have pop culture as it is because of Camille Paglia

I do. Women belong back in the home as baby makers

The original star wars was shit as well

>No one in academia takes her seriously
Yeah obviously. I would think that's badge to her credibility
she's the only true feminist philosoher of that stature

Based ITALIAN granny

>(((ITALIAN)))

Paglia calls herself a feminist, doesn't she? Shoo away from this thread.

Don't act as if her entire fanbase isn't composed of redditors who hate feminism but are too much of castrated wimps to be an open reactionary

No, but it's partially responsible for contemporary attitudes towards pop culture.

I would if I didn't have to listen to her.

based

Episode 5 is the weakest of the old trilogy.

This. ANH is the best OT Star Wars film.

It's pop culture has been dominate in every culture you fuck head.

Is this in sexual personae? Interesting idea

Someone who I disagree with a ton, and yet, find myself enjoying and respecting the more I hear/read her.

Return of the Sith was unironically and post-ironically the best starwars film

The egg was added because the cooking was so easy that women felt they were 'cheating' on it.

hi nabokov

*talks incredibly fast*
OKAY
*more talking*
OKAY
OKAY