Why isn’t every piece of 21st century literature about technology...

Why isn’t every piece of 21st century literature about technology? Why is every “up and coming” section at the book store memoirs about being black or middle eastern. or having once had Lyme disease as a soccer mom? Why does anybody respect Jonathan Safron Foer? Why isn’t anyone attempting to represent the reality of the present age? Is Ready Player One the only hope for us?

Pic possibly related

Because people want stories about people, not robots.

/thread

literary authors are bad at writing about tech in general, even competent ones like pynchon (seE: bleeding edge)

there are exceptions though. read richard powers for example

I have read Powers. He’s fine I guess, though Galatea 2.2 (for example) has not withstood the test of progress at all.

Wtf are you on about? Literature will always be about people. Thematically, however, I fail to see how or why there isn’t a huge focus on the rapidly expanding presence of technology in our lives, and the implications stemming from that.

how so? galatea 2.2 reads fine today imo

try orfeo, but that will age worse cause its explicitly about twitter

Haephestus gave us gifts of bronze and lead
And a gift we returned with heady fumes
We left his terrors in the Christian age
Only to return and burn in his potent rage

Also don’t /thread yourself. It’s offputting.

Widespread cultural brainwashing of citizens into techno-optimists

Interesting. So, is it OK to be a Luddite or not? Also, yeah. The typical attitude regarding tech advancement is apathy, i.e. “it’ll happen eventually anyway.” Why everyone accepts tech for tech’s sake is beyond me.

I like Nick Land's approach of saying "fuck it, lets make it happen faster!"

Is that the premise of Accelerationism (of so, retarded).

I have literally never heard anyone say anything insightful about 21st century technology

Don't you think it's interesting that all creative pursuits revolve around investigating mankind, yet we spend all of our time not understanding each other?

This. Turn off adblock on youtube or watch some ads on TV to understand the normative behavioral programming. Just saw an ad with Common (kek) in which he's hyping up AI and Virtual Reality like they're the greatest thing ever! "YALL KIDS GOT SO MUCH POWER AT YOUR FINGERTIPS." I don't think some nefarious force is directing this, nobody's at the wheel user. We're fucked. I hope the Russians nuke us or the AI singularity wipes us out, we deserve it.

>waaaaah why are all these people who are different than me writing books?
How about you write your own shit instead of whining like a faggot?

i thought pokemon go would get people into crazy speculation about augmented reality, and all its implications moral, etical even legal. but brainlets just let it pass, theyre seeing literal science fiction before their eyes, but they will just "heh" at it.

>having once had Lyme disease as a soccer mom

fucking kek. Thats the best way I've heard that style described.

Good on you, user.

Why would everything be about technology? There are educations for that.

Alright faggot I’ll start tonight. Come to my book signing in a year

You should send me a copy of your diary desu

Okay what’s ur gmai

>no one here reads DeLillo

If I could maintain a sustained, coherent plot I'd do it. I don't have ADD or any other excuses, I just veer off track or give up too easily.

OP here. I’ve read every word DeLillo has ever written. Are you saying he satisfies this void with anything other than Zero K? If so please explain yourself.

I have a million plots on paper but deem them all unworthy after I’m 10,000 words in. What do?

You didn't think that White Noise, Ratner's Star, Mao II, Cosmopolis, Point Omega, and his 9/11 essay have anything to do with technology?

Yeah, this is my problem too.

because writers dont know shit about tech, and stemlords cant write

keep writing every day even if it's shit.

Certainly the 9/11 essay, forgot about that. The others, not primarily. Or not specifically about the way technology is ingraining itself in our everyday, how it watches and judges and appeases us, how it coerces our dependence upon it, how it is and will further blur the line between reality and virtual reality. Sure, Ratner’s Star involves technology, but it isn’t about it per se. The rest, not at all.

Write in the first person then, problem solved. I don’t need to know how AI works on a technical level to write Ex Machina.
>Hurr Durr look at this brain made of nano jelly, it’s legit.
Writers can hash out the implication of these issues for sure. In fact, I saw a hilarious but alarming greentext about a guy waking up, shitting, eating cereal, and dressing, having to pay iota coins to amazon for each and every “internet of things” interaction. user didn’t need to know what iota was or how it worked to tell a frightening story.

I dedicated myself to that the other day. I bought a notebook that I will fill with some kind of fiction no matter how disconnected or bad.
I'll see how that works out.

But what if I spend years on a novel and the idea is a worthless piece shit? Seems like an insane gamble seeing as how I’m going to DIE.

You go, user. I’m with you.

cuck tier mentality, my man

techno optimism is completely reasonable when paired with a good public sector, like in the nordic social democracies.

Because everything is already a simulation

Meh. 0/10

tfw there was no plane on 9/11

you know, posting on Veeky Forums requires actual reading of the subject you're participating in.

I quite like this user

>the way technology is ingraining itself in our everyday

But this is one of the main themes of white noise. Sure he's talking about television, but youtube is just atomized television

Technology encroaching on daily life is a pretty big theme in White Noise. Its even in the title.

I see your point. I thought of it more as focusing on the idea of the simulacrum (see the barn), but I guess that goes hand-in-hand with the widespread exposure of viewers to objects or phenomena on the television.

The most bluepilled shit ive ever read

>21st Century

no it doesnt

not an argument.

and whats being redpilled on this topic, wanting to see it all burn down? hoping some authoritarian daddy will save you?

Daddy daddy please let me pour my longing into you oh daddy, please take me out of the world!

this shitpost isnt cancerous enough.

I believe acceleratiknism is Marxist principle whose goal is to accelerate capitalism towards collapse

White Noise: Literally about technology
Ratners Star: about how technology and industrialization of STEM has killed the creatives in society
Mao II: also about how technology has changed our perception of events and killed of the author
Cosmopolis: about people who have used technology and merged it with vicious avarice
Point Omega: speculation about how technology has connected the consciousness of civilization

>Delillo is old
>Gass is dead
>Pynchon is old
>Bloom is ancient
>Updike is dead
>McElroy is ancient

I'try my hardest to write something, boys.

Technology is shallow and uninteresting. The human mind is the most complicated thing in existence. It leads to more interesting plots.

At best, hyperbole. At worst, Wrong

novels are made of much more than one idea

But an E X T E N D E D M E T A P H O R is essential

I would like to hear which ones you think are hyperbole and/or wrong. I've written academically about DeLillo so I can defend my positions fairly well if you point to what you disagree with

All of them, except for White noise.

technological minds will be even more complex

>nordic social democracies
Ah yes, muhammad

Bon courage, mate.

there are already great books about technology.

Subtle

Different user.
Insisting White Noise is about technology would be the same as insisting that cars are about their (albeit 'harmful') emissions. That would be true in a sense, maybe even in a few, but if so add Great Jones Street (for instance) to your list, as well as most everything written today by pretty much everyone. The problem is, I kind of get where both poster2 and OP are coming from. Why however [they] are refusing to understand one another is perhaps sadly less than baffling..

What the fuck? I posted a reply and it disappeared. I swear I f5'd and saw it. Can mods delete single replies? Or did I just make it on a NSA list? Reply was also very prejudicial to technological progress and those in power.

>prejudicial
positive or negative. curious..

It is.
Accelerationism is based in Marxism, yes, but the sort of accelerationism most on Veeky Forums would be familiar with is right-accelerationism, which is a hope that accelerated capital wouldn't collapse a society to be reforged in a lefty image but rather cascade into a hyperfuture, usually involving some sort of omniscient AI.
OP I'll recommend reading Ballard, he doesn't necessarily address certain technologies head-on but he writes a lot about societies both shaped and broken by technology. His short stories are a good place to start but Crash is sort of his ur-text when it comes to techno-fetishism. But most of his writing is 20th century so it doesn't quite fit your request.

>why no techne?
because technology creates the conditions for widespread psychosis and propaganda. to ever name the source of human misery in the 21st century, capital and its source techne, would be to turn the host against the parasite which is almost done devouring us from the inside. Basically people try to trivialize staring at screens all day, skyrocketing mental illness, obesity crisis, automation etc with appeals to living standards and entertainment value and if there was ever an intellectual current of thought that was strongly opposed to these things, vocal enough to get the public thinking about it beyond CNN Labrador's joking about it and fake outrage in NYT articles that are more oriented towards labor and taking shots at silicon valley dude-bro elites then you would have a crisis of confidence in the current system.

All public discourse is affected with a double-forgetting, where first we forget the media environment we've been placed into, the technological-information network hive mind, and then we forget that we forgot this. Which allows extreme cognitive dissonance to the point where you have people taking happy selfies a day after their class mates were murdered, a behavior so evil and unprecedented in human history that you'd probably cause a riot in older periods of civilization if anything similar happened (for a moment imagine Puritans laughing together after an Indian massacre).

The denial of things like Ted's manifesto, lookism, Das Kapital, McLuhan's Global Village, Virilio's Vision Machine, Baudrillard's Hyperreality, Ellul's techno-propaganda etc etc etc is a way of staving off a legitimacy crisis that would put the majority of humans at odds with the very tiny few who will temporarily benefit immensely from techno-capitalist civilization. People who are excited for it tend to be upper middleclass, STEM degree holders who stand to increase their wealth and fitness considerably in the next few decades (with no consideration for the cascading effect this kind of Faustian bargain will have).

We're in a new gilded age, we just elected a billionaire for the first time since JFK, taxes have been slashed in all Western nations for the wealthiest demos, tech corps have figured out the perfect way of causing disruptions in the cultural zeitgeist while slinking away from backlash by placating people with spectacle nonsense and dopamine machine panaceas like tindr and twitter. Apple, you will see, gets defended by right wings and left liberals alike.

Corporations like Uber, Tesla, Microsoft are allowed to destroy socio-economic enclaves of middle class labor with impunity, none of those jobs are ever coming back. You'll see people trying to equivocate the new forms of techne with cotton gins, steel mills, printing presses when they know intuitively, and will even admit as much in other circumstances (double think), that this is untenable.
you can't /thread your own post you fucking retard

No it’s because I reported your /pol/ shilling on a literature board

Are you studying at uni? I've never met anyone sharing these ideas, and most of my friends are in top unis (both in the US and in Europe). Otherwise, excellent post.

Lads, I'm staring at a screen right now, what do I do?

>after their class mates were murdered, a behavior so evil and unprecedented in human history that you'd probably cause a riot in older periods of civilization if anything similar happened
YOU CAN NOT BE SERIOUS

Print out threads before you read them

It seems that the future of the world is too bleak a concept to sell copies. The people expected to read the book, and maintain the livelihood of the author, generally don't appreciate a book which makes them feel bad, and obligated. Already established authors don't publish works on this subject because they gain their livelihood through writing on lighter subjects. Ready Player One has the pretense of being about video games, getting mothers to buy it for their 13-year old boys.

Immerse yourself in the Other

The perfect synthesis between luddism and accelerationism. We did it Veeky Forums

True. Hence a hot market for YA and fantasy.

This. Normies ruin everything

Yes, but not anything to do with this shit
look up "mourning" now go look at the sociopaths on CNN

Good post.

Could you please give me some book recs on the subject, user, since you seem knowledgeable?

misery comes from many forms. illness and death are some of the most widespread sources of suffering, yet life spans have been extended primarily by capital and technology.

an extensive welfare system would lessen many of the disruptive effects of creative destruction.

greater awareness of how addiction works would mitigate much of social media's ills.

and does anyone really believe life would be better before the industrial revolution? peasantry was horrible and the noble savage is a myth.

>wants writing about technology
>looking for it in a book store
>he asks this through the greatest and most unbelievably incredible publishing and communication platform ever devised let alone actually created, a platform that would have made Gutenberg and Shakespeare and the Evangelists and the Greeks weep in awe and terror
found your problem

elaborate
this

> Is Ready Player One the only hope for us?

Hate to break it to ya Z, but Ready Player One is about race.

unabomber

i have lymes disease

Seconding this!

No it isn’t

>talked to death already
>Entire western canon dominated with the white male perspective, other races views are now original writings
>white women are the only people who buy books
>no

most people don't understand enough about technology (me included) to find fulfillment in it. And i'm male human, i'm interested in dying, politics, philosophy and eroticism.

i see what you are saying. i have read most critical books you mentioned. however, i feel a blockade to think further without falling into territory that is way beyond communication and logical reasoning. what can i read to understand this situation better. what direction can i think, to see more clearly?

>Why isn’t anyone attempting to represent the reality of the present age?
You have two people doing that right now.

lmaoing at the nerds in this thread afraid of computers because some old guy said they're evil like wtf

>some old guy said they're evil
absolutely moronic. no anti tech writer ever said that lmao at least read their wiki pages before posting

Misreading. That's how the Matrix directors got it wrong too.

It's not that everything is "already a simulation" but that simulation and reality are the same thing.