Five books later, I'm approaching 37. Nearly half my life I've been reading these books...

Five books later, I'm approaching 37. Nearly half my life I've been reading these books, and for nearly seven years---the entire span of HBO's Game of Thrones TV adaptation---I've been waiting for The Winds Of Winter. Feels bad.

>for nearly seven years---the entire span of HBO's Game of Thrones TV adaptation
>it's been 7 years

On one hand you can't blame him really. He hit it big and he's spending what time he has left living the high life and fulfilling his dreams because he has the means to do anything he wants. Wouldn't you?

On the other he can't really claim that his work is special to him or he cares about it because actions speak louder than words. He's been fucking around not working on it for years so clearly it's not that important or special to him and just a way to make a living. Fair enough but I hate authors who try to have it both ways

The bad feeling shouldn't be that he won't finish the series, but that you've wasted half of your life reading genre fiction.

I don't really care desu. I'm a fan of the series but Martin can take as long as he wants, I'll just read them once they come out, if they ever do.

If you don't read genre fiction then you're not going to read Gargantua and Pantagruel, Frankenstein, Dracula, or Pride and Prejudice. Feel bad for you senpai.

>reading GoT
lmao at ur life m8

i kinda felt the same way about Clive Barker's work. due to his ill health, he probably won't finish the Great and Secret Show, Everville trilogy, or the Abarat books. word is his latest was partly ghost-written.

not to slight genre fiction, but you do grow out of it. especially when there are so many great books out there you can spend a lifetime reading and not return to the genres.

speaking of genre, the book i'm most remiss about the author not finishing is Junot Diaz's Monstro novel. the story that appeared in the New Yorker was good fun.

I should have read those instead of just waiting around for Winds.

It's been 6 for me but yeah, at this point I've given up on any book coming out. And like said, he isn't working on it, or at the very least has ran out of ideas. So just let it go. There are other books, even fiction, to read.

I started reading them a year before they released the TV series, based purely on a recommendation I read on Veeky Forums. Some user said it was about knights who said "fuck".
I didn't have a Kindle back then so I ordered the 4 books without doing any research.

My first surprise was that the series did not end in book 4.
The second surprise was that this lazy fat fuck had taken a decade between books 3 and 4.
All the following "surprises" were along this line (writer's block, delays, NFL reviews).

It's kind of interesting to contrast Martin's obvious apathy towards ASOIAF, which points out, with somebody like Melville, or Milton, or even JRR Tolkien: men who worked all their lives on their literature, who were tirelessly, unendingly devoted to their great works.

It's this apathy, to me, that truly makes Martin a hack. He's to a certain degree a skilled writer, but he just doesn't seem to see his writing as art, something over which to strive and labor. For him it's essentially a meal ticket.

>He's to a certain degree a skilled writer,
On what level is he a skilled writer?

>he thinks those are genre fiction
Wew, do you also think Epic Poems are fantasy novels?

Frankenstein and Dracula are genre fiction. There's such a thing as genre fiction that's so good it transcends the genre, user.

this

>Frankenstein
Literally a really long romantic metaphor.
>Dracula
Honest genre fiction desu.

Sunset found her squatting in the grass, groaning. Every stool was looser than the one before, and smelled fouler. By the time the moon came up she was shitting brown water. The more she drank, the more she shat, but the more she shat, the thirstier she grew, and her thirst sent her crawling to the stream to suck up more water.

>what is Gothic Horror
>what is a genre
brainlets leave

The guy clearly struggles with pressure and doesn't know how to bring the series to an end. The show merely multiplied all of that pressure and it has become far more enjoyable to bask in his role as a celebrated author than potentially letting down millions of people with a terribly shit book.

>The more she drank, the more she shat, but the more she shat, the thirstier she grew,

Never fails to make me kekkle.

The first three books are well plotted. That's an aspect of good writing I guess.

It's one of those passages you know for certain that he wrote one-handed.

>The more she drank, the more she shat, but the more she shat, the thirstier she grew, and her thirst sent her crawling to the stream to suck up more water.
Still better than Joyce.

How do you know what books are bad without reading them?

>living the high life
>4'2" Supermanlet

Someone who has wasted their life will tell you.

Ironically, it isn't, not even in that specific niche. Joyce's writings about poop blow Martin's out of the water.

is Paradise Lost genre fiction?

Why would I trust the judgement of someone who has wasted their life?

I don't give a shit about ASoIaF. The Jersey Glacier needs to give me more Knight of the Seven Kingdoms.

>Dunk rode slowly along the fence. The viewing stand was crowded with knight. "M'lords," he called the them, "do none of you remember Ser Arlan of Pennytree? I was his quire. We served many of you. Ate at your tables and slept in your halls." He saw Manfred Dondarrion seated in the highest tier. "Ser Arlan took a wound in your lord father's service." The knight said something to the lady beside him, paying no heed. Dunk was forced to move on. "Lord Lannister, Ser Arlan unhorsed you once in tourney." The Grey Lion examined his gloved hands, studiedly refusing to raise his eyes. "He was a good man, and he taught me how to be a knight. Not only sword and lance, but honor. A knight defends the innocent, he said. That's all I did. I need one more knight to fight beside me. One, that's all.Lord Caron? Lord Swann?" Lord Swann laughed softly as Lord Caron whispered in his ear.
>Dunk reined up before Ser Otho Bracken, lowing his voice. "Ser Otho, all know you for a great champion. Join us, I beg you. In the names of the old gods and the new. My cause is just."
>"that may be," said the Brute of Bracken, who had at least the grace to reply, "but it is your cause, not mine. I know you not, boy."
>Heartsick, Dunk wheeled Thunder and raced back and forth before the tiers of pale, cold men. Despair made him shout. "ARE THERE NO TRUE KNIGHTS AMONG YOU?"
>Only silence answered.

He's such a hack.

>my friends were talking abot GoT when I was still in middle school

hm