What are some good books that teach military strategy?

What are some good books that teach military strategy?

Other urls found in this thread:

marines.mil/News/Publications/MCPEL/Tag/95321/doctrine/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

On War, by Clausewitz

This. Afterwards read Transformation of War by Van Creveld

History of the Peloponnesian War is usually recommended as well

Is that book a meme?

FPBP

no, its really good it just won't make you wittier than you already are or any wiser

it's meant to be read by brainlet Chad's when they go to the bookstore with their harry-potter-fan girlfriends to make them feel powerful and manly
so yes, it's a meme

>Fuck Confucius
It's a sunzi thread, not a Kongzi thread

But sure, keep going with westdabest

Only if you have pretty basic strategic capability, but even so it touches on a few things most armchair generals never consider--namely supply lines and campaigning morale

i read Art of War a few years ago and it was kinda weird to understand with the translation shit. But its a start, maybe try books about wars instead of instructional ones

He's more of a Chuangtzu fag, imo he's ok.

Well if you are thinking that you are going to become a general for reading a book, or if you are one of those absolute retards that has a plan of world domination, no book can educate retards.
Sun Tzu was sitting in his fucking room writing a book because he wanted white people he didn't even know would exist to feel manly. Surely. Do those galloping abs make you feel insecure user? It's gonna be ok.
>Only if you have pretty basic strategic capability

I'm sure that your own capability gets you very high on a lot of leader boards. You're probably really good at PUBG from all that strategic capability. Hannibal, Sitting Bull, Patton, Boudica and all the rest of them have just decided to shut their fucking mouths about all of their exploits when they watch you use Ryze to mid. Who the fuck am I kidding, your K/d is probably like triple anyone else's on this board bro.

It features strategic gems such as 'make sure you have more soldiers than the opposing force' and 'marching makes your soldiers tired'.

Please name something you like so I can pretend that the shitty things about it are the only things about it.

>Art of War
As all ancient Chinese texts it looses a lot of its meaning when translated and left without excessive footnotes.
Another question is what you want from the book.
Its been thousands of years since it was written and war is completely different from then. Stretching the idioms from then over the circumstances today is rather useless. If you want the ins and outs of practical warfare then there are better texts.
Its a meme at this point where managers read it and feel mighty and strong by using quotes completely out of context.

Von Clausewitz is considered the Western equivalent while also being a lot more recent and for that reason a lot more accessible.
But again its rather old and pretty much obsolete in todays time.

There are books that go through military strategies throughout the millennia. This is probably a good start. I have Den Krieg denken by Beatrice Heuser.
Some U.S generals probably also have written some good pieces. Look there.

Now this is a good critique.

>Boadicea
>high strategic capability

The book of the Five Rings is good, it's more psychology of conflict like Art of War than tactics and practicality

this is more general than just military strategy, but very good

Quote mining can do wonders.

Zizek

This book is shit.

I actually recommend a modern to ancient timeline.

Science, Strategy and War: The theories of John Boyd
Strategy - Luttwak
Strategy - Liddell Hart
Infantry Attacks - Rommel
Revolutionary Guerilla Warfare - Mao
Mahan
Jomini
Clausewitz
Byzantine --> Roman/Sunzi

You're shit

As an ROTC fag I appreciate it.

american field manuals

>ROTC
emphasis on fag, then. if you really want to prepare for a life in the military, don't read sun tzu tell you "attack when the enemy isn't prepared lol" read some actual modern military doctrine.

marines.mil/News/Publications/MCPEL/Tag/95321/doctrine/