Journey to the West

So has anyone actually read the dragon ball z book?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=88y4ttqaW6U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Nah I just watched the show

youtube.com/watch?v=88y4ttqaW6U

That sun wukong is a ripoff of hanuman

Yes, it's every bit as repetitive as DB. I suspect the best way to read it is in spurts over a period of years. If you track down an unexpurgated copy (which will be several volumes in length) do yourself a favor and skip the little lyrical poems that pop up every few pages. It's a fun, if tedious, read. Don't make the mistake of powering through it in one heroic go.

journey to the west is like chinese harry potter, middle school kids read this shit in like a week

is there an abridged version?

spbp

>2000+ pages
>In a week
>middle school
I doubt chinese kids have any time for recreational reading after all the extracurricular shit that's pushed on them by their parents in order for them to succeed in life and bring honor to their famry.

but they literally do. they get the distilled/adapted/abridged versions shoved at them since they can read/write at like 4 - 6, and just gradually move on to the full text. its not particularly complex, esp when everyone in china knows the story and major characters/plots

How is monkey?
It's pretty much been the go to in the English speaking world for a while.

So many anime tropes came from this book, it even has the hot springs episode.

Everyone but Sandy is great. Most of the monsters aren't particularly memorable. A lot of the ancillary characters, especially pompous bureaucrats, provide a chuckle. It's worth a read if you have any interest in Asian lit/culture. You won't miss much if you opt for an abridged version. Literally a thousand pages of 'Monster tries to eat/rape Tang, Monkey beats the fuck out of it'.

No fucking way, I was literally trying to find copies of the four classics right now

The ones published by Foreign Language Press are probably the most accessible unabridged versions.

Thanks, Romance of the Three Kingdoms was the one I was most interested in. Do they have the best translation?

There's a water margin reading group thread on Veeky Forums every Friday. Check warosu for the Epub link. I think someone uploaded three kingdoms in the first thread

Excellent, thank you.

AFAIK Moss Roberts is the best.

yeah. it's great

>chinese kids can read chinese at age 4
that doesn’t seem right

>get book 4
>skip to final chapter
>read the account of ninefold good deeds
>happy ending achieved
>roll credits
DBZ pulled so much out of this, even the incredible repetition of exposition. The last chapter is a quick retelling of the key points of the story done slapdash; all it missing is "Last time on Journey To W:"

Yeah every other translation is pretty meh

Yeah. The version just called “Monkey is. I think Waley is the translator's name? It’s great and worth getting, but it’s missing the Spider woman episode

Has anyone actually watched the film?

I've been thinking about reading this since I love Dragon Ball. If I really like the show, will I like this book?

No, I read it for the same reason and no. Goku rains a lot, and a large theme of Dragon Ball is bushido spirit and training to reach your limits. Monkey is a Mary Sue from the beginning and kicks the shit out of everyone with little effort.

It's an amazing book. It's a very fun adventure book. I would also say that you need to be a little bit interested in Asian culture.

My favorite parts are when Sun Wu Kung sees devils near Tang, but Tang since he is human and mortal can't see shit, giving space to very bitter misunderstandings.

yeah, but i think Po-ju's version was best.

yeah, but hanuman was a ripoff of Coyote

He isn't a ripoff of Hanuman, he is Hanuman. Buddhism comes from India originally.

It's not.

There is a difference between Dragonball and Dragonball Z.

Dragonball is Journey to the West.

Dragonball Z is the battle of Kurukshetra in the Mahabharata.

Journey to the West is one of the four great texts in Chinese literature. It literally IS the curriculum

>dbz is the Mahabharata

Wtf, how??? No it's not

>So has anyone actually read the dragon ball z book?
Yes.