With regard to whatever objects give you delight, are useful, or are deeply loved...

>With regard to whatever objects give you delight, are useful, or are deeply loved, remember to tell yourself of what general nature they are, beginning from the most insignificant things. If, for example, you are fond of a specific ceramic cup, remind yourself that it is only ceramic cups in general of which you are fond. Then, if it breaks, you will not be disturbed. If you kiss your child, or your wife, say that you only kiss things which are human, and thus you will not be disturbed if either of them dies.
>When you see anyone weeping in grief because his son has gone abroad, or is dead, or because he has suffered in his affairs, be careful that the appearance may not misdirect you. Instead, distinguish within your own mind, and be prepared to say, "It's not the accident that distresses this person., because it doesn't distress another person; it is the judgment which he makes about it." As far as words go, however, don't reduce yourself to his level, and certainly do not moan with him. Do not moan inwardly either.
>When any person harms you, or speaks badly of you, remember that he acts or speaks from a supposition of its being his duty. Now, it is not possible that he should follow what appears right to you, but what appears so to himself. Therefore, if he judges from a wrong appearance, he is the person hurt, since he too is the person deceived. For if anyone should suppose a true proposition to be false, the proposition is not hurt, but he who is deceived about it. Setting out, then, from these principles, you will meekly bear a person who reviles you, for you will say upon every occasion, "It seemed so to him."

Is stoicism the most cucked philosophy? What did epictetus mean by this? Share your thoughts.

>"It's not the accident that distresses this person., because it doesn't distress another person; it is the judgment which he makes about it."

i.e. Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus
it's easy to forget that things are like this more often than not, yeah

>that second quote
Is sympathy and empathy not allowed in stoicism?

I'm guessing it isn't necessarily so, but people are too easily swayed by how others around them feel. see to yourself first how others react to situations then decide whether you want to relate with them on that level or not

1st excerpt: to prepare you for when something that might be of significance to you leaves your life for whatever reason.

2nd excerpt: that we apply our estimations to situations. someone might take their kid being gone, for whatever reason, and be deeply sad because of it, but you do not *have* to be like them. endure it, be virtuous

3rd excerpt: that in knowing someone is of fault for how they've acted towards you, it is there dilemma, not yours. you would be more fit to pity them.

this all revolves around Stoicism's general message: be in control of your emotions, and don't use negative emotions (since they don't change the situation or ultimately help). if you call that being a cuck, then sure, epictetus was a master cuck

additionally, what do you even mean by cuck? I feel like it's lost virtually almost all the meaning it had..

Stoics wouldn't enjoy, or even wish for their wives to be fucked by another dude. but if it did happen, which is ultimately not under their control, they would try to be indifferent about it. you're wife can't be un-fucked, so getting upset about it is pointless, and it's not virtuous. if someone was a cry baby about that happening I think most people would call that person a cuck. man up, face reality, and go from there.

Don't listen to Epictetus making this leap in logic that a ceramic cup is like a person, what an asshat. But seriously you see what he was trying to get at, making these really good points on how people have the ability to detach themselves from subjective values which we ascribe to our reality,

But then he sort of makes this suggestion that like to everything you can say to anyone "oh well haha, to you it seemed so".

In a sense it provides this reasoning that whatever the interpretation that people take on, oh well that's their view, and not whats true objective reality really. Its a nice abstract theory but in most cases of real life society and people are more in conflict, in a battleground, of ideas, and values. You can say this all you want haha i dont care , i know the truth, but thats relative to the values that society takes on. It really depends on your interpretation of what seemed to the other.

But Epictetus, I'm not fond of ceramic cups in general, I'm fond of THIS particular ceramic cup, which I've had with me since my early childhood, and to see it broken forces me to confront the fact that all things pass.

>to see it broken forces me to confront the fact that all things pass.

the fact that all things pass is not under your control so there is no point confronting it, you should simply accept it.

Your brain is the most "cucked" anything in existence. Get off the computer and take a fucking walk.

>Don't listen to Epictetus making this leap in logic that a ceramic cup is like a person
t. I literally cannot think, let alone read.

He means that the absolute worst thing that any one person can do is to let the condition of their psyche (that is, the very thing that is what they are) be shaped by something other than its own will (i.e., itself).

Now back to

Just find a new nice cup.

I just rekt both you and Epiktet.

But don't actual cucks not mind if they're wife gets fucked either?
Checkmate stoics

If not just about one person. I have to think of everyone who is involved and try to find the right balance. For example my son loves his new brother so it would've been unvirtuous for me to deny him that happiness regardless of how I felt.

But if your wife knew you would be deeply hurt and angry at being cheated on, she would be less likely to cheat on you. If you're indifferent, you're practically asking to get cucked.

Wrong, you should actually be confronting it constantly until you learn to make peace with it.

stoics cannot into kintsukuroi

again it depends on what you mean by cuck..

either way it's only really a "checkmate" if you're *that* concerned about people calling you a cuck. the Stoics would brush petty shit like that off

nice fb-tumblr meme knowledge

How about you actually read the stoics instead of just memeing because that sounds similar to many of their teachings.

not necessarily. it depends on if your wife has a proper understanding of your emotions and reasoning.

you're not wanting it to happen, but you hope and attempt to be as strong willed as possible were the situation to ever arrive. why would you cave in to such weak emotions like anger and sadness when you can man up and face it as it comes?

if your wife is loyal and understands your will, she won't. but if something like trying to be the master of your state of mind means they're more likely to cheat on you, that's a good sign they weren't worth it in the first place

Is it even humanly possible to behave like this? Like if some guy mugs you, rapes your wife, chops of your leg and feeds it to you how are you supposed to brush that off and blame no one for it?

practice. the Stoics knew changing your mindset to be this resolute with indifference wouldn't be easy. this is exactly why Epictetus said start out with small things, then build up from there.

it's not a quick switch, but if you care about being virtuous and not letting your emotions get the best of you, it's a journey that will serve as useful to embark on

if some guy mugs you, rapes your wife, chops of your leg and feeds it to you then your getting angry or morose or whatever about it isn't going to make your life any better, and in fact by doing so you've let that guy control your deepest feelings, which should be under your control only.

> be in control of your emotions, and don't use negative emotions
Wow. So, positive thinking is another name for stoicism?

ehh, not entirely. a positive outlook is the desired end goal, but a lot of that comes from indifferent thinking.

they only thing a Stoic would want anyone to be upset about is what they control, which the main ones to note is your emotions and actions. external things you should be indifferent towards. if you let things you can control affect your emotions, you will forever be an emotional slave to externals

truly understanding what and what isn't within your control, and making virtuous actions from that is all what Stoics though was needed for a happy life. Being the best person you can be in regards to what you control, and not losing your composure when something you don't control goes askew. The natural progression from this they argued was happiness.

>if you let things you can control affect your emotions..

I meant things you CAN'T control, sorry