I know Veeky Forums are kinda snobs, but I do have a question about children's novels. So bear with me

I know Veeky Forums are kinda snobs, but I do have a question about children's novels. So bear with me.

When I was a kid, I always really wanted to read the Redwall series because nothing seemed cooler than little animals going on sword-wielding adventures. Never got to read one, though - I was a kid during the height of Harry Potter mania, and then I moved onto Tolkien and yadda yadda. Point is, I never read Redwall.

Was the series any good? Is it worth reading as an adult? I still like young adult literature and especially adventure stories. I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for books like Narnia or Oz.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCXuwpG0o2OIoYSDUUHSHKVd7-cTqFgjU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

REDWALL!

It's just Name of the Rose but for kids

I cant tell you if the series is holds up. I remember it being an oddly long series with each book taking place in a huge generations long story. It surprised me with how oddly brutal some of these villains and supporting characters end up dying through out the story. I remember it being a fun read though. I know this doesn't help much. Kinda need to finish/ re-read them myself.

Excellent allegory for Islamic migration into Europe.

They were really great when I was a kid. I haven't read them as an adult, but I feel like they'd stand up okay. Give them at least one a shot; it shouldn't be too large of an investment of time.

I don't know if they'd be that quick. I remember them being pretty thick, but then again every book seemed like a door stopper when I was a kid.

Otter masterrace

mice a shit

taggerung best novel

>There were 22 redwall novels
I had no idea there were that many.

read them to your kids

They're pretty dank. Think LOTR for the Skaven in Warhammer (except with other rodents as well), and there you go. Owls of Gahool is kind of similar, but more youth-side of Youth Fiction (film was amusing/good CGI for a western.)

A lot of people think they get repetitive, I think that just adds to the charm. Read Mariel of Redwall, followed by The Bellmaker, they're probably some of my favorites and great books to start out with. The first book has some jarring differences to the rest of the series and Jacques hadn't really hit his stride yet. Alternatively, you can start with Martin the Warrior. Someone needs to make a rec chart.

ZANN JUSKAWRATH TAGGERUNG

Weird way to spell Lord Brocktree, friendo.

I didn't read very many of them, but I really liked The Legend of Luke

The middle part with Luke himself was fantastic, the parts with Martin were forgettable.

I recall almost the entire book being focusing on Luke, but I guess that supports your point

Part 1 was about Martin journeying from the Abbey to where Luke died, Part 2 was a flashback about Luke's entire life, Part 3 was Martin going home.

Kids books also usually have large print and simple language. I could read The Hobbit, by page count at least, I'd say twice as fast as LOTR. If anything you could read it for 1-2 hours and have an idea if it's decent just from the first 100 pages or so.

The edition of Martin the Warrior I have is 376 pages, not an awful lot of words per page. It's certainly manageable.

Oh wow, they've even got an abridged series: youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCXuwpG0o2OIoYSDUUHSHKVd7-cTqFgjU

They're pretty good adventure stories. They do get rather repetitive/formulaic, but you don't/shouldn't read all of them.

I wouldn't recommend them to a sophisticated/mature reader except possibly to read one or two and check if it's something you want to give your children.

Patrician.
Legend of Luke and Salamandastron were also good.

man I loved Redwall so much
just rewatch the series, user

EU

LA

I recently read one of the last books he wrote -- I think it was Doomwyte -- and it was pretty silly. But I just figured that the series had gone downhill, as series tend to do.
I haven't read any of my favorite Redwall books since I was a kid, but I want to say that, although they're more YA-tier than Harry Potter or LOTR, they're damn quality literature set in an awesome universe. Read them AS kids' books and you'll see the merits.
My favorites were:
Redwall
Mattimeo
Martin the Warrior
Legend of Luke
Pearls of Lutra
Salamandastron

LI

Can you think of anymore "anthropomorphic animals in medieval type fantasy setting" books?

No but let it be said that Despereaux is a 10/10 novel.

Excellent taste. Yeah, the last few books were pretty mediocre.

MGQ

Perloo the bold

AAAA!!! Blood n' vinegar!

Oh shit, I forgot about Avi. He wrote some quality shit.

I reread Lord Brocktree months ago. It's clearly a children's book. The dialogue and sentence structure is very basic. The world and the plot are pretty basic as well, although I could see kids getting confused by the abundance of strange names. If you're not a fan of fantasy stories that involve a long-ass journey full of stuff you know is just filler or other cool-sounding BS the author wanted to throw in, you will not like it. After you've read enough of them, you start to see the formula, and that usually turns people off to it, although some people enjoy seeing how one version of the tale turns out.

When I was a kid, I remember thinking the cover art looked cool, but not actually enjoying or even fully reading the book, because I found it so tedious. With my enhanced adult attention span, I still find it a tedious read, but was able to understand and appreciate its wholesome tone and sense of wonder. My conclusion is that it can be a fun little read if you keep your expectations low and take it for what it is; a jolly little adventure story aimed at kids.

I remember really enjoying them as a kid, although I couldn't tell you anything about them now.

>When I was a kid, I remember thinking the cover art looked cool, but not actually enjoying or even fully reading the book
Pretty sure I did the same thing too.