Buying an e-reader

Hello Veeky Forums,

I want an e-reader to read books in bed before sleeping. I don’t really know what to buy since I always read paper books, but money is tight right now (I’m a student in Spain) and I want to get a basic E-reader that has light to read in the dark and can change the colors of the screen to more calid ones so my circandian rythm doesn’t get fucked.

Tell me which e-reader are you using, if you do, or which do you plan on buying.

Thanks for reading!

I wish my kindle was pink.

Are Sony readers better than Kindle's?

no. the fight is kobo vs kindle. I haven't even heard anyone talk about sony ereaders in years. silence is just as telling, I think.

But Kindles aren’t the apple of e-readers? I mean you can’t read your own epub files on those.

>I mean you can’t read your own epub files on those.
who told you that? You just convert it to mobi. Calibre is best, but shit, you can do it online, too.

Recently bought a Paperwhite, completely changed my reading experience, should've bought one years ago.
t. someone who used to read on a 4 inch smartphone

Do you guys think touchscreens are necesary?

Got a paperwhite in the valentine’s day sale on amazon. It’s been pretty good so far, got to read with it on back to back flights and I’m really satisfied.

Screen doesn’t change color but you have control of things such as font, font size, orientation, and brightness.

Money wise it’s pretty good, tons of stuff available on the internet that you can convert to mobi, file transfer process is literally drag and drop easy.

eh

Did the same thing, got a paperwhite with that sale. And I had been debating whether to get an ereader for a long time prior, always figured I'd hate reading off a screen but that changed pretty much the day I got the kindle.

I am satisfied as well for all the reasons this guy stated plus the note taking and highlighting sections of text for whatever book you are reading. It is great because I read a lot of non-fiction and like to take notes, and it is all very conveniently organized when you want to revisit your notes or transfer them to your computer.

And I was worried that it wouldn't support pdf. documents well but I have no complaints there either.

It's pretty useful for highlighting or translating some words if you read in different language, although it's not very precise (I'm reading on Paperwhite 2).

You can get a Kobo refurb on eBay for $30.

KOBO AURA ONE.

So what I'm getting with your responses and some digging around, is that there is not option for warm light with e-readers like pic related?

no, but it's not really an issue. Paperwhite dimmed enough is sufficiently soft on the eyes. E-ink is still black and white.

nigga i bought a kindle 8 years ago and haven't paid for a book since. trust me, you can get your own files on a kindle.

The Kobo Aura One has a warmer "comfort light" and the new Kindle Oasis has a slightly warmer hue than my old Paperwhite and it also has inverted night mode.

As long as it isn't scientifically proven that ereaders are as harmless for the eye as physical books I'm not paying for one.

they arent. and they read fast as fuck.

Yes, they are. They use epub and in general are a many purpose tool unlike kindle.

I love my Sony PRS-T3.
> I used it for years especially for PDFs.
> It works out of the box with calibre.
> You only spend money on a light feature if you want to.
> Dictionaries
> Jailbreaks
> FUCKING PHYSICAL BUTTONS

>piss yellow
>""""warm"""
>then go and roast their retinas with screen LCD at max power
the absolute state of phonefags

What do you know about eyes? The only harm on eyes in question is blue light. That one that comes with computer displays.

E-Ink displays don't produce light at all. They reflect it and are therefore harmless.

Just buy a Kindle Paperwhite. They're decently cheap and get the job done.

Well physical books don't emit blue light, so they're less harmful. Why do people waste money on something harmful.

Ebook-Reader also don't emit blue light. Physical books and ebooks are equal.

Just convert the epubs to mobi using Calibre. Literally no reason to buy anything other than a Kindle Paperwhite considering they're cheap as fuck anyway

Blue light is not harmful to the eye. It just fucks with your circadian rythm because your brain thinks it's still morning.

ereaders do not emit any light

This, except when I bought my Paperwhite 2 it was eighty bucks. The Paperwhite 3 costs $120.

If you don't care about the reading light you could just get a regular Kindle for cheap.

No, it is still under debate, wether blue light (high energy) can affect cells in a negative way. Blue light in a high intensity isn't natural, because there almost is none in the sun light spectrum.

It hasn’t been proven because it’s bs. It’s visible light and our eyes are adapted to fucking see it. We’ve been staring at screens for decades now and no evidence of that has come up.

would'nt a fire hd 8 be better?

kobo h20 edition 2

The kobo aura one does this. You can mess around with it and make it a really dark or bright orange too. Youtube it. Ignore kindle shills.

Correction: ignore Kobo shills. You will spend half your time being frustrated. Amazon may be an evil empire, but their shit works.