Recommend good novels that display 19th-century London setting

Recommend good novels that display 19th-century London setting

But British novels are garbage

William Makepace Thackery or Charles Dickens

Thackery = gentlemen
Dickens = satire

g8 b8 m8 I r8 8/8

Its true though, Victorian Britain is ok tier at best. Nothing compared to what the French and Russians were producing at the time

>Victorian Britain is ok tier at best.
Dickens is overrated, Eliot is the best of the Victorians.

READ DUBLINERS AND GET THE FUCK OUT ANGLO SHILL LOOKING MOTHER FUCKER
YOU DESERVE NOTHING BUT HAYE

m8 at least acknowledge the rising happened two kings after victoria the famine queen.

You forgot Conan Doyle

Type full words, acting like a nigger ironically is still acting like a nigger
Such is the state of the Great Shitstain

Cuma liom ce chomh neamheolasach is ea tu ar ar stair, is oinseach thu, a leannan

>cuma
lol

>the French
When will this meme end? Balzac, Hugo, Stendhal, are all so middle of the road. They’re on a par with the unremarkable works of Britain in that same era desu, but at least there was Eliot in England.

War of the Worlds

The Secret Agent by Joseph Konrad

I thought his description of scenes and settings were very interesting to read, and made me a better writer as a result. Also it was Ted Kaczynski's favorite book, which is also a plus I guess.

haha nice 1, ur a rly 1337 mf
a/s/l?

*bloque to chemin*

Three Men In A Boat
Trainspotting (Scotland is always two hundred years behind the rest of the world)

He wasn’t a novelist though

No but his poetry is written in prose and his essays written aesthetically

The russians are coming.

>Dickens is overrated
it's not often i say this
but you're a massive faggot

The Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad
Quite a lot of Dickens (Bleak House, David Copperfield etc)
Most of Oscar Wilde (Picture of Dorian Gray)
Much of Dracula is set in London as is The Great God Pan by Arthur Machen if you like witchy stuff.

Three Men In A Boat is set upriver from Kingston, only the first couple of pages are in London. You might as well say Heart of Darkness has a 19th century London setting.

Dr.Jekyll and Mr Hyde
Dickens

>Dickens is overrated,

he said british, not jewish.

New Grub Street

Jekyll and Hyde tbqh

Henry Mayhew's London Labour & The London Poor. It's not a novel, more like proto-sociology, but you can almost smell Victorian London

Dracula

Frankenstein

Lots of works by Dickens

>ANGLO SHILL LOOKING MOTHER FUCKER
You sound African-American, definitely not Irish

When will the mystery meat know it's place?

kys

Nice rec.

I'd also recommend People of the Abyss on the same issue.

Also, I sincerely hope there is at least one user out there writing an angry book about the current state of Londonistan. The French are way ahead of us Brits when it comes to writing angsty shit about the non-white invasion.

>The French are way ahead of us Brits when it comes to writing angsty shit about the non-white invasion.
Give us some book names then

>implying that most British people dont already know about it

Dickens. I remember there was quite a bit to do with "moving to the city" and industrialisation in it. I think Dickens was quite opposed to the 'city' though, so take it with a pinch of salt.

>implying they're not peasantmind cucks who are in favor of it because the BBC told them its good

Houellebecq's stuff, Zemmour's French Suicide, etc

Not the point. There is no mainstream cultural symbol they can look to and think "Bleeding eck mister dis 'ere writer's speaking my forts!"

>They’re on a par with the unremarkable works of Britain in that same era
That has to be the most ludicrous claim I have seen in a while. The vast majority of 19th century Anglo letters is utter mediocrity in comparison with the French. Anyone claiming those three French authors are
>on a par with the unremarkable works of Britain
is as hopeless a pleb as you can find. A great example of being able to read but not being able to discern nor understand no matter how many books you read.

Is this your attempt at a serious reply? What a shame that French education is in such a state. Hugo is hackneyed, over the top 19th Century fodder (Les Mis is one of the most overwritten novels I’ve ever read), Stendhal’s style is utterly flat and his womanly obsession with ‘le passion’ may be of interest to the French but imo it’s aged horribly and borders on melodrama, and Balzac really isn’t even worth speaking about since there was only a small amount of his disgracefully large body of work that I could stomach. The French can’t resist inflating their own literary worth but the truth is that most of theur output is lacklustre. I’d take Hardy or Eliot over any of that half-baked garbage.

>In a letter to the diplomat Robert de Billy, a college friend, Proust wrote: “It is curious that in all the different genres, from George Eliot to Hardy, from Stevenson to Emerson, there is no literature which has had as much hold on me as English and American literature. Germany, Italy, very often France leave me indifferent but two pages of The Mill on the Floss reduce me to tears.”

There are a few but none popular enough. There are several people who they can relate to though.

The way we live now by trollope

Not most of them. You'd be surprised at some people's views if they are pushed to express them rather than to beat themselves for it. Regardless, the BBC is utter rubbish anyway. On Radio 4 today there was a section about 'grime'. They are so out of touch.

Hardy was a writer of pure hackwork. Tess the dairy maid and her mustachio’d villain lmao

At least the French had Flaubert

Nigel Farage and UKIP mostly. It was the older people who voted leave. For younger and more wealthy people it is Jacob Rees Mogg or Hitchens. But yes, I'd argue there is a gap for some kind of new strong personality.

Please don't talk about Hardy like that. Did you also miss the whole point of the book?

The book’s a bore and the characters are flatter than a chinkgf’s chest. What do I care for the message?
I’m more of a Butlerboy tbqh

>Proles read

lol