Creative Writing Degree

I'm majoring in English with an emphasis in creative writing and I want to know what I'm in for. Anyone who is or has completed there undergrad I'd really appreciate it. Cheers!

fuck u

kek

Just wondering, but what are you planning to do with your degree?

Concentrations like English never struck me as being very worthwhile unless you're planning to go to graduate school and eventually enter academia.

I want to get my masters and be a professor

Wouldn't you have to get a PhD to get tenure and earn enough to sustain yourself comfortably?

Not really sure how it works with creative writing majors, to be honest.

well not technically a creative writing major, English degree with an emphasis in creative writing. I'm in california, I plan to teach community college and work on my shit.

Oh, my bad.

Best of luck, user. I'm sure you'll be fine as long as you're not studying with the expectation of earning loads of money. Chances are that you'll struggle for quite some time. I won't judge you, since I, personally, don't put much stock in working for the sole purpose of obtaining a large salary. I major in a STEM field I'd rather kill myself than work in.

Hope it turns out well for you, user.

Yeah I'm not a very materialistic guy,as long as i got enough for a place to live and I have the means to write I'm fine. But what about you, what are u studying.

at the moment I'm enrolled in a gender studies course because of the orange guy in the white house.

As Hanif Qureshi remarked:
>90 percent of my graduates can't really tell or create stories

Lol, what uni you got to? Classes required are not set by the govt. its by your uni.

+10 doubt

No I enrolled in it myself because I hate Tr*mp

That's obviously not me.

I study neuroscience and a social science.

you're a funny guy

Damn that sounds fucking intense. Best of luck to you dude, hope you make racks.

I'm going to graduate school for something completely unrelated.

I have a degree in English. The coursework itself isn't too bad as long as you do the work, engage in discussions, and spend plenty of time devoted to your education. I don't know how the job market for English majors in California is, but it's tough where I live. I teach high school btw.

the only shot you have at even adjuncting is to get into a fully funded MFA program. Good luck, and make sure to be buddy buddy with your creative writing professors, since you'll need letters of recommendation

If you want to be a good professor, start reading all the books you can.
You wouldn't believe how many people who have started down the same path getting a phd in some way related to literature and being pathetically under read, and oblivious to classics.

>try to get stuff published while in undergrad as much as possible
>Learn a trade in the summer, like being a plumber or electrician, so you can have something to live on while you write
>If your school has a newspaper or literary magazine, get in the pipeline to the top as soon as you can
>find professors who can mentor you, and build a relationship with them, ask them for extra reading and writing assignments, talk to them about the writers you have both read and try to learn from them

Hey, OP. Got my English degree over the summer, taught English online to little Chinese kids & wrote blogs for free while searching for employment (lots of fun minus the getting up at 5:30 part), lived on indeed and scoured for jobs, finally landed a paid marketing internship and just got taken on full-time.

I really think if you can sell your ability to write as something that a company NEEDS, employers will take you more seriously. I'm only 22 and definitely pretty wet around the ears, but that's what landed me my gig writing copy all day :) good luck out there though, man!

this.

I'm a senior in college now and I wasted my time being high and not writing anything important. Only got into local lit mags last semester, and had nothing published during my whole time because nothing was good enough. Now all my Grad School applications are getting rejected.

For fuck sakes, listen to this user.