Do you take seriously Joyce's claim that he "finished the novel"? Do you believe that the novel, as an art form...

Do you take seriously Joyce's claim that he "finished the novel"? Do you believe that the novel, as an art form, has had anything new added to it since Ulysses was written?

>Do you believe that the novel, as an art form, has had anything new added to it since Ulysses was written?
Footnotes

No. Because Joyce managed to finish Finnegans Wake. And then Nabokov came out with a little known novel called Pale Fire. I don't think anyone on this board has heard of it. But it's just as landmark as Ulysses, and elevated what a novel could be.

>pale fire

Is this the new meme book you are pushing

I don't even know how to respond to this comment. It's just so naive. I honestly don't see how any rational human being could say that, nor a human being who like to put on airs of "reading literature". I think you should delete your comment to save some face.

>And then Nabokov came out with a little known novel called Pale Fire. I don't think anyone on this board has heard of it. But it's just as landmark as Ulysses, and elevated what a novel could be.
Pshhh... Vladimir Nabokov? The guy who wrote The Crying of Lot 49 and is constantly memed on Veeky Forums? And you think there's some great book of his that no one on Veeky Forums has ever happened to hear of? Get real, troll. I've read Nabokov's entire corpus backwards and forwards and I don't remember anything about a "Pale Fire". You may be getting the author confused, chump.

Shut up

>And then Gass came out with a little known novel called Women and Men. I don't think anyone on this board has heard of it. But it's just as landmark as The Recognitions, and elevated what a novel could be.
Pshhh... John Hawkes? The guy who wrote Lost in the Funhouse and is constantly memed on Veeky Forums? And you think there's some great book of his that no one on Veeky Forums has ever happened to hear of? Get real, troll. I've read Barthelme's entire corpus backwards and forwards and I don't remember anything about a "White Noise". You may be getting the author confused, chump.

>When New Sincerity () gets bullied by Post-modernism (, )
Now I see why DFW stepped into the rope.

>Pale Fire
More like "soulless ""puzzle"" *winks* fire"

top tier bait desu

The cut up novel, but that's it.

>nostalgic lit nerds still pretending that dune doesn’t exist 50 years later

what do you mean, he's right here with us

Witz did something formally inventive, but I haven't, and prob won't, finished it

I've seen the idea and its derivatives mentioned countless times, but never as more than assertion. So, I'm going to ask you all, why is this so great? How do you reckon that the idea that it "finished the novel" could be justified?

The whole point of modernism was reinventing the novel. Really hard to fucking do when you think about it. Joyce completely reinvented what it means to be a novel with Ulysses and Finnegans Wake. Now here's your job. Come up with a new form of the novel that isn't derivative of Ulysses or Finnegans Wake, and isn't like a standard novel. I guarantee you can't. It's pretty damned hard to do.

That's what people mean when they say Joyce "finished the novel".

>Come up with a new form of the novel that isn't derivative of Ulysses or Finnegans Wake, and isn't like a standard novel. I guarantee you can't. It's pretty damned hard to do.

Just to give us an idea of what we're supposed to be coming up with here, could you give some examples of new forms in novels since Joyce that _are_ derivative of Ulysses or Finnegans Wake?

>Come up with a new form of the novel that isn't derivative of Ulysses or Finnegans Wake, and isn't like a standard novel. I guarantee you can't. It's pretty damned hard to do.
already did 4 years ago

>examples of new forms of novels since Joyce that are derivative of Ulysses or Finnegans Wake
They wouldn't be new forms of novels then would they.

uhm ok
can someone just please tell me what specifically Ulysses did that prevents innovation in the novel

Nothing. Ulysses is total shit.

Right here, dumbass

If you actually read Ulysses you would know.

>Pale fire
>I don't think anyone on this board has heard of it.

You have to be really dumb to believe Pale fire is some kind of obscure and unknown novel.

Nothing. That statement is the stereotypical dumb Veeky Forums shit only a moron would say. A moron who doesn't read literature, obviously, which is also a common phenomenon here.