Is anybody interested in closely analyzing The Catcher in the Rye with me?

Is anybody interested in closely analyzing The Catcher in the Rye with me?

I will post a screenshot of each page along with some thoughts and observations. Please join in if you want to.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CRrs_X4OUkU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Go on.

Why?

You should probably choose another book. You're gonna get a lot of Veeky Forums memes that are cancer ITT.

>If you really want to hear about it

A curious way of starting a story. Directly addressing the reader, the narrator already suspects something about them: namely that they probably aren't actually interested in anything he has to say and are perhaps indifferent to most things in general.

>David Copperfield kind of crap

The narrator is revealed to be probably quite young. He is also insisting that his story will be a subjective one, rather than the wise, omniscient and objective one of David Copperfield.

>Madman stuff

We learn that the narrative voice is informal, with use of slang a norm.

Is this seriously the "close analysis" you were talking about? This sounds more like CliffNotes-tier shit.

why don't you contribute instead of being an insufferable prick then? either lead by example or fuck off.

Yeah, Holden narrates as if he was chatting with someone. But not anyone, he has preconceptions of the reader as marked by
He knows the reader, us. Who we might be?

nice thread

Fuck the haters OPA keep on catchin that rye

Up for a good thread

>I will post a screenshot of each page
ONEPAGE
N
E
P
A
G
E

Are you twelve?

goddam is used 245 times in a book that is only 214 pages long.

Let him swear, he's like 16.

and the author was 32

... and he's telling the story of a 16 years old boy in first person. Of course he's going to swear.

it's one of the most brilliant parts of the book. Salinger's development of Holder's voice is masterful.

the book is poo poo

no accounting for taste.

Are you actually gonna post every single page of this book and make comment on it? What if there are some uninterestimg pages? And also for what purpose this seems like exaustive effort. Try to amalyze it by topics rathrr than pages. Like: firt you analyze the prose, then writing style, then individual characters etc

youtube.com/watch?v=CRrs_X4OUkU

A curious way of starting a story. Directly addressing the reader, the narrator already suspects something about them: namely that they probably aren't actually interested in anything he has to say and are perhaps indifferent to most things in general.

Holy autism.