What books set in Japan have you read that are comfy?

What books set in Japan have you read that are comfy?

The Makioka Sisters is BY FAR the comfiest book I have ever read, I could not recc it more highly

I found An artist of the floating world pretty comfy OP

Mishima's The Sound of Waves

Pretty much any piece of Japanese literature. I mean the vast majority are about suicide, but it's generally people just sitting around, ambling through life.

All books by Banana Yoshimoto, Moshi Moshi in particular is the comfiest, I love Shimokitazawa.

I second this. Kawabata's short stories can be very comfy as well (admittedly I've never read any of his novels) with the Dancing Girl of Izu being one of his most famous. I don't know if amy translation exists of his "Palm of the hand stories" but there are a lot of very nice short pieces in that one.

One of her books caught my eye while I was in the library, and and ended up reading 2 more by here. I wouldn't say it's particularly good, but it somewhat 'melancholicly mellow' which I liked.

Is all Japanese literature about people just casually strolling through life while being somewhat sad with a tinge of magical realism?

Strange weather in Tokyo was quite comfy. Read it in a day, it was easy, but not bad

The Thousand Autumns ofJacob De Zoet is a westerner's (dutch) perspective on Japan during the closed era. He lives on dejima but theres also chapters through Japanese characters eyes too. Topu boku

Norwegian Wood was comfy.

Evening Clouds by Junzo Shono.
It's about a family of 4 who had to move to a more rural place. Just a few kinda intimate vignettes. The father treks and watches trees and flowers, his children hunt fireflies.

there is something eternally sad about japanese lit

this

Pretty much anything by Murakami. A Wild Sheep Chase and Dance Dance Dance is probably the most so.

Naruto.

>Murakami
1Q84 was fucking hot garbage.

get this now OP, you won't regret it

Absolutely this. His novels are repetitive but comfy as fuck, but I think the comfiest has to be 1Q84. It's like the quintessential Murakami novel.

Spring Snow by Mishima, and the Sound of Waves as another person pointed out.

>Japan
>Comfy
It’s a fucking hiveisland

kill yourself my man

Living in Japan is comfy. Previously I lived in Tokyo, now I'll move up north and enjoy exactly what OP's pic portrays.

Here's something fun, just about everywhere is.

Lafcadio Hearn's "Kwaidan", nothing comfier than edo period folk ghost stories