Is Ireland objectively the greatest country for literature?

How did a nation with such a small population produce so much of the greatest works
James Joyce, Raymond Chandler, WB Yeats, Seamus Heaney, Oscar Wilde, Samuel Becket, Jonathan Swift, C.S.Lewis, Patrick Kavanagh, George Bernard Shaw, John Banville, Bram Stroker, Brendan Behen just to name a few,

they practically beat the english at their own language

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZS-HWIFyLsE
youtube.com/watch?v=GowMI4wvmU4
youtube.com/watch?v=QuVYS4uw0as
youtube.com/watch?v=SI8U33x51zM
youtube.com/watch?v=ciSFwdD_gWE
youtube.com/watch?v=3aZMIuAHXcY
youtube.com/watch?v=vCsYCnEVsv8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Suffering

I actually thought Raymond Chandler was american until now
Anyways, Ireland is the most inspirational place you can live. There's a reason Joyce wouldn't shut the fuck up about Dublin

this

but their countryside is shitter than britains

Because they're not utilitarian anglos. Not complicated. Jews anglos and asians don't have the propensity for great art.

Replace jews with germans and this is true

youtube.com/watch?v=ZS-HWIFyLsE

really enjoyed what i've read of Bernard Shaw. also a fan of William B Yeats.

what the fuck are you smoking?

>Raymond Chandler
Chandler was born in 1888 in Chicago, the son of Florence Dart (Thornton) and Maurice Benjamin Chandler.[3][4] He spent his early years in Plattsmouth, Nebraska, living with his mother and father near his cousins and his aunt (his mother's sister) and uncle.[5] Chandler's father, an alcoholic civil engineer who worked for the railway, abandoned the family. To obtain the best possible education for Ray, his mother, originally from Ireland, moved them to the area of Upper Norwood in the London Borough of Croydon[6] in 1900.

>they practically beat the english at their own language
I see you're forgetting both Thomas and Richard Brinsley Sheridan are Irish too

Right, because all those people were tricolor-waving, potato-eating, brogue-speaking, tweed-wearing, car-bombing leprechauns, whose style was Irish to the core.

well, not all of them craw on like you, but they do all have style.

You mean "capacity", not "propensity", I think.
(If you really do mean propensity, it would be "a", not "the".)
Also, from an Anglo, hahahaha, you are so wrong. We Anglos conceal a passionate yearning for the infinite beneath our laughably buttoned-up exteriors.

Doesn't matter, it's like Catholics. Whether practicing or not, patriotic or not, they make good literature.

>"a" not "the"
If he did mean propensity, it would be the specific propensity for great art, and still the definite article. Learn to English.

but they don't even study the bible

the thousand years where they were the only ones with the documents to translate or annotate the bible gave their descendants a free pass on needing know what's in there now.

>Chandler
American
>Beckett
Protestant
>Swift
Protestant
>Stoker
Protestant
>Shaw
Protestant
>CS Lewis
Protestant
>Yeats
Protestant

It's a nice blend by the name of having good taste

Wolfe Tone was a prod too, m8, try to remember the other 700 years of history with the English.

Ireland is such an illiterate shithole full of aboriginal tier cavedwellers that it causes the few individuals with some semblence of a developed frontal coretex to launch themselves into literature to compensate

Ireland is basically a blackhole for culture and it emits writers in the form of hawking radiation to the rest of the universe while it gorges on all good

Don't forget Joyce is a Norman name

CIA contributed more to Western Civilization than everyone on the left panel

>yfw a working class drunk in Ireland has more poetry memorized than you
Are you one of those cunts that thought Jim Casey was a real poet?

>Churchill is good
>Shane McGowan is bad
the absolute taste of (You) and (you) are queen.

>CIA
Pasternak's telenovella tier romance is not that good.

Where does it say good or bad? These are just prime examples of their respective races

out of all these, putting Lynott as AngloIrish is the most hilarious.

>Jim
*Jem

He'll never find it with google if you give him a near pseudonym.

not your safe space

I would have but Bach is the greatest artist who has ever lived so I'll give my teuton friends a pass this time.

not a place for the discussion of literature either apparently

Germany and Austria are the undisputed kings of music, Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Wagner, Schubert, Haydn,

it triggers anglos who don't have a single note worthy composer and are the most unmusical country in Europe

That post is talking about writers. Sorry if it triggers you Tiernan

In Irish mythology and folklore, Tír na nÓg ([tʲiːɾˠ n̪ˠə ˈn̪ˠoːɡ]; "Land of the Young") or Tír na hÓige ("Land of Youth") is one of the names for the Otherworld, or perhaps for a part of it. It is depicted as a paradise and supernatural realm of everlasting youth, beauty, health, abundance and joy.[1][2] Its inhabitants are the Tuatha Dé Danann, the gods of pre-Christian Ireland.[1] In the echtrae (adventure) and immram (voyage) tales, various Irish mythical heroes visit Tír na nÓg after a voyage or an invitation from one of its residents. They reach it by entering ancient burial mounds or caves, or by going under water or across the sea.[1]

Other Old Irish names for the Otherworld include Tír Tairngire ("Land of Promise/Promised Land"),[1][3] Tír fo Thuinn ("Land under the Wave"),[1] Mag Mell ("Plain of Delight/Delightful Plain"),[1] Ildathach ("Multicoloured place"),[4] and Emain Ablach (the Isle of Apple Trees).

>Anglos
Anglians were German, most of Britain don't have German blood. There wasn't enough immigration from Germany or even Scandinavia for them to mix that noble Briton blood. "Muh Anglo race" was a meme made by 19-20th century revisionists, and spawned Nazism, American racism (in terms of having a "WASP" ideal)

>don't have a single note worthy composer and are the most unmusical country in Europe
*Blocks ur path*
youtube.com/watch?v=GowMI4wvmU4

I think you mean Britain. Britain after all likes to absorb Irish writers under the title 'British'.

>writers born in ireland to parents of english extraction, who then spent their entire adult lives in london
>"""irish"""

Even FROGOPHONES can't help but hum this one:
youtube.com/watch?v=QuVYS4uw0as

Who from OP's list has done that?

Bach wasn't much of an artist. He was more of a mathematician, an artless autistic composer. That's not to say he wasn't brilliant. Wagner, however, was a great artist.

You keep posting this bullshit. Are you just talking bout one person? I feel like Irish writers are more attracted to Paris than London anyway. All these guys could write in French:
>Samuel Beckett
>James Joyce
>Oscar Wilde

rats in the walls is funny though

falling for the 'Bach was a mathematician not an artist" meme is a clear indication of a pleb

youtube.com/watch?v=SI8U33x51zM

>A nice gril like this wont play your song on classical guitar
JUST
youtube.com/watch?v=ciSFwdD_gWE

youtube.com/watch?v=3aZMIuAHXcY

Ida Presti is also great

Bach is the greatest artist the world has seen. There is no debate. In classical millieu, people ask who is the second best musician? Because it's understood Bach is the greatest.

>Bach is the greatest artist the world has seen.
Shakes and then Bach.

Houellebecq > Shakes >Bach

J.S.Bach>C.P.E.Bach>W.F.Bach>J.C.Bach>plebs

Bougereau > Shakes > Bach

"I know them; you don’t. They hate themselves. I lived for years in Ireland. The majority of intelligent Irishmen dislike Irishmen, and they’re right." - Orson Welles

Correct it now!

>but their countryside is shitter than britains
>shitter than Britain's

C.S. lewis was British, as probably many others you listed were.

CS Lewis wrote a book called My Irish Life, because he lived there til he was in his teens and shipped to England.

>Lewis occasionally expressed a somewhat tongue-in-cheek chauvinism toward the English. Describing an encounter with a fellow Irishman, he wrote: "Like all Irish people who meet in England, we ended by criticisms on the invincible flippancy and dullness of the Anglo-Saxon race. After all, there is no doubt, ami, that the Irish are the only people: with all their faults, I would not gladly live or die among another folk."[21] Throughout his life, he sought out the company of other Irish people living in England[22] and visited Northern Ireland regularly. In 1958 he spent his honeymoon there at the Old Inn, Crawfordsburn,[23] which he called "my Irish life".[24]In 1921, Lewis met Yeats twice, since Yeats had moved to Oxford.[17] Lewis was surprised to find his English peers indifferent to Yeats and the Celtic Revival movement, and wrote: "I am often surprised to find how utterly ignored Yeats is among the men I have met: perhaps his appeal is purely Irish – if so, then thank the gods that I am Irish."[18][19]

As an Irish man I think it helps that we are completely self aware. People who make presumptions or openly insult us has little to no effect. We are the first to poke fun at ourselves and are quite open about our faults. I think every intelligent Irish person has the makings of a good storyteller because we grew up listening to them and reading them. There is humour always and a sense of proud timeless mysticism to our older lore and we thrive on it, relish on the fact that we believe our history, our ancient yarns have a uniqueness that cant be found elsewhere.
But in true Irish form, most of our would be great story tellers will never truly bloom because we would and do find the idea of being a famous writer simply absurd.
Stories are best kept for cold, wet nights, by the fire in a pub. So my wise old Grandad claimed.

>is Ireland objectively the greatest country for literature?
Yes. Also recommend me someone who is similar in style

>As an Irish man
LLarp detected

>irish people constantly complain about plastic paddies and Americans et al taking their culture for their own
>"Oh and by the way, all these American and British writers are actually ours... all part of the gift of the gab. land of saints and scholars lmao"

You want to British out but let the Africans in whilst you get bummed by the EU. Regardless, I admire irish culture, stories and folk songs

>As an Irish man I think it helps that we are completely self aware.

lol what fucking bullshit

Who are "we", the jews, eu and marxists wan't that but not the people of Ireland, most of them just haven't realized what is going on yet,

this is what we really want
youtube.com/watch?v=vCsYCnEVsv8

Unfortunately yes, we allowed Germany to get us by the balls and buttfuck us whenever they see fit.

Well I cant speak for all Irish folk, just the ones I know.

Imagine being so insecure you'd dedicate time to create this. LMAO

>Anglicans
>protestant

Ireland has this weird culture of lying to foreigners and pretending to be far more backwards than they really are for no reason because they think its funny. I think this is part of it.

this is expertly crafted bait, well done. however your satire is just as bad as the idiocy you're trying to mock. I know that right ring nutters are a tempting target because it's so easy to imitate their empty rhetoric, but the very inanity of their arguments means that even learning to imitate them isn't a productive intellectual exercise.

Yeezy>Bach I'm sorry. That was the most boring 5 minutes of my life srs

Bach was an artist. A performance artist.

>Bouguereau
Shit taste

Yeah, this is how you can tell Irish diaspora aren’t really Irish lol
My neighbor was born in Ireland, left for the US at 4 or 5 years of age. Claims to be Irish but can’t take a joke

What is it with American randomly claiming to be from European countries for no reason?

Idk mostly irishfags do it

Because many of are Europeans. Your resentment and envy of our success and culture doesn't magically transform our genes

they have barely any history of their own, so they often borrow ours. can't blame them really.

What the hell? I have no resentment, I hope that I'll be able to come to America some day, which makes it even weirder what they do

A European is somebody is from or of Europe. Many Americans are from or of Europe. Thus, many Americans are Europeans

I assume you're resentful because you're feigning confusion about a very apparent and objective truth

>I have no resentment
>I assume you're resentful because

Very few Americans are from America, so your naming system is really inconsistent.

An American of European descent is an American you tard

>often borrow ours
Getting conquered and being a slave people? Lmao we must be doing a poor job of it

The story at the heart of Irish culture is tragically romantic I suppose, it breeds (or bred) the sort of artist OP is describing. As an Irishman I gotta say, Dubliners sums up the Irish mindset to this day. The pining for an Ireland we can never reach, always striving for it since the Brits came. We're still stuck in this state of paralysis, a sort of cultural limbo. Caring about our nation seems unfashionable these days, we'd rather whine about some shit Varadkar said.

Whenever I feel down about the state our country is in I think of this man, the greatest writer to ever live. Joyce is Ireland through and through.

Resentful people are inclined to deny the existence of their resentment

I thought the same thing

the famous No U manoeuver, a classic.

Then you're a pedophile

He spent too much time in the US

Well said, ya bollox

By definition, only a person characterized by frustrated anger would seek to correct a perception of themselves, regardless of whether it were accurate. A gracious person would smile serenely in the face of untruths.

>By definition
>

Suffering and alcoholism.

See also: Ruseland

Forgot to add strong religious traditions to the miks

:)

I really can't think of anyone. He was in his own league with his very homoerotic prose, irony and witticisms. Beckett still has lots of dark and funny in his work, but it's not at all the same. Both loved Paris; Beckett got big there and Wilde died there, destitute.

Hemiplegia of the will really struck a chord with me.