Has a single good fantasy book been written after Lord of the Rings?

Has a single good fantasy book been written after Lord of the Rings?

All of the other ones seem to try too hard and it shows in the writing.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Book of the New Sun

That's sc-fi. But Wizard Knight was good.

earthsea trilogy (ignore anything after 3)

>tfw I cried during Many Partings and Homeward Bound
Hold me bros. It's all over...
I need to get the Silmarillion and Children of Húrin soon.

Do Book of Lost Tales 1/2 and Lays of Beleriand instead of the standalone Children of Hurin book.

Harry potter

" !"

>Narnia
>Book of the New Sun (Pretty much any Meme Wolfe actually)
>The Black Company
>The Last Unicorn
>The Once and Future KANG
>Chronicles of Amber
>Lord of Light
>Gormenghast
>Anything by R.A. Lafferty
>Til We Have Faces
>Little, Big
>The Dying Earth
>The Anubis Gate

Plenty of good fantasy hiding behind mountains of shit.

Based !poster

LotR isn't fantasy

It is not like Lord of the Rings is any good

>Book of Lost Tales 1/2 and Lays of Beleriand
>here are eight different versions of the same story, and half of them have sleepytime fairies!
>don’t forget to buy all thirty volumes!
Nice try, Christopher

The recent publication of Beren of Luthien is absolutely wonderful.

First law series.

DELETE THIS

This desu comfy af

Weaveworld

Brandon Sanderson's books.

Terry Pratchett.

Feist

The Traitor Baru Cormarat

Stormlight Archive, Mistborn Trilogy, some of the Discworld books, Rumo if you can read german, the First Law Trilogy comes close

I tried looking at a sample of this on Amazon but all it showed was Christopher talking about his dad and his mother, and this is AFTER the introduction where the book is supposed to "start". How long does this go on for? Are there interjections in the middle of the story? It says it's ~220-230 pages but I'm not going to (((buy))) it if it's half composed of familial footnotes, let's say.

Very few sci-fi and fantasy writers can manage exposition effectively.

it's compiled from a few different version of the tale, and the only time Christopher interjects is between each section. it's really very minimal on comentary and footnotes.
the tale is presented as a complete narrative, but you also get to see how the tale developed over the years
i highly recommend it

Tevildo was a mad man

ASOIAF is better than LOTR

This is a very good list

Has a single good fairy story been written after The Lord of the Rings?

>no first law
Dropped

Reddit

I've read some Wolfe, Lafferty, The Dying earth and Lord of Light .
They were all good, my biggest aversion to fantasy as a genre is the sheer amount of nerds who just produce their own sort of RPGs without any knowledge about litterature outside of it

Little, Big

My fiction professor hates genre fiction, but she liked Earthsea. Actually, even Harold Bloom liked LeGuin.

Seriously now, is a Game of Thrones not a good fantasy book?

Stardust.

Grimdark, edgy, tax policy lmao, sjw's, sunset found her squatting, le ebin trope subversion, fat pink mast etc. No surprise people here don't like it. If this board existed in the 90's it would be praised though.

Assassin's Apprentice.

Love the magic system in Earthsea.
Le Guin was a great author, even if she was a commie.

you can do a lot worse than ASoIaF, but it still doesn't hold a candle to Tolkien.

>Lord of the Rings
yes, yes, Aragorn driving out the orcs in righteous battle is all well and good, but what was his tax policy? Where are the powerful queens and intriguing eunuchs?

I think they're great books. A little too easy to read and short on the philosophy side but written and structured well (the release structure was horrible though)

I think they are okay. Decent fun reads but the surface level politics and philosophy is completely shallow. George's short stories though he wrote in the 80s are pretty good.

When did Veeky Forums become to seriously discuss genre fiction shit lol.

>tax policy

What’s this?

It's sci-fi/fantasy that leans more to fantasy at times.

The serenity behind his disdain is kingly.

Dune by Frank Herbert. Its sfici, but magnificent one

>LOTR
>fantasy
"No!", it is entirely distinct from fantasy dreck stylistically, I'd argue it does not really belong to the genre at all.

This is like when people try to argue crime and punishment isn't a crime novel. You're pathetic.

genre != subject

And subject is setting? Explain how the distinction you draw between LOTR and ''fantasy'' isn't completely arbitrary.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy

Johathan Strange and Mr. Norrell.

I put down Left Hand of Darkness after about ten pages. Boring AF.