Hey, Veeky Forums. What are your favorite young adult/children's novels? Try to post some that are less well known

Hey, Veeky Forums. What are your favorite young adult/children's novels? Try to post some that are less well known.

Number the Stars

Not as good as the giver

Animorphs and the Bartimaeus Sequence. Neither are obscure in the slightest, but both are great.

Island of the Blue Dolphins is the eternal goat

i capture the castle

Johnathan Stroud's books

HARRY POOPER

For 12-18 Sophie's World for sure. Should filter out who's a brainlet and who's not pretty quickly (saw that firsthand in my freshman social studies class where we had to read it and discuss it)

Darren Shan Vampire series
Lockdown escape from furnace
The Enemy
Eragon series
The Name of the Wind+ Wise Man's Fear
Space Wolves Omnibus
Gotrek and Felix
Retribution Falls
Horus Rising
Artemis Fowl
Ranger's Apprentice
Ready Player One
Rancour + Pyre (I actually know the author of these)
Halo: Reach +The Flood (first strike is ok too, as well as Ghosts of Onyx
I hear the Mass Effect novel about Saren is great
The New Heroes
Steelheart
Superhuman
Ex-Heroes
The Edge Chronicles
Re-Possessed
Priests of mars + Lords of Mars + Gods of Mars
Grey Knights Omnibus
Iron Warriors Omnibus
Ender's Game + Speaker for the Dead
A Thousand Sons
The Power of One
H.I.V.E.

Disc world

>Antwon in Slummerland, or Through the Cooking Glass
>It’s about a simple nig in the ghetto whose world turns upside down when he inhales some magical rock smoke

ugh, is this the best you can do?

(OP)
Patricia Wrede's Dealing with Dragons series

There was also this one that I had when I was little that I've been searching forever for.

It's probably from the 60s, and it's about these two brother's going on an adventure on the amazon. I don't remember much, but I remember there's a part where they see piranha eat something, one of them possibly gets a fever (malaria) and there's something about like, an aztec sun god near the end?

Look, the book was fucking amazing and I can't fucking find it. I've been looking for this book for near 20 years. Please. I want to read it again.

I really don't want to sound like I'm bragging because I'm not, but somehow I skipped this phase. I read picture books as a kid, then started reading comics, then started reading novels that weren't tailored for kids or teens. I liked the Lemony Snicket books though.

the phantom tollbooth

I remember liking this book when I was far too young, but I can't remember if it was objectively good. I also read (when I was 6-7) these books about a leper who falls into a coma, wakes up into a fantasy world, gets hailed as the chosen one, then rapes a princess. I wonder if the book is as well written as the premise...

These two are great.

/thread

I never skipped the phase, I just partook in it at a much younger age. My reading throughout the years goes something like this:

Ages 3-5= Children’s books
Ages 6-9=YA fiction
10-13= Pulp fiction (Ian Fleming, Chris Ryan etc.)
13-present: Classics+ Modernist literature

bumping for this, I know what you're talking about but I can't remember the title

I went to google and found something called Amazon Adventure, written in 49, and it has the same aesthetic, but reading the synopsis, it just doesn't seem to be the book I'm looking for. I'm buying it to make sure, but goddammit. That's just what we get for reading such old books as kids, I guess.

Taro the dragon boy. I've read that as an agelet.

sauce

Treasure Island. I was crazy about it ages 10-12 and still enjoy it to this day.

Does the Hitchiker's Guide count?

I remember liking Tomorrow When The War Began when i read it

That was over a decade ago now though so who knows if it is actually any good