What's another work by him that's the closest to this? This was my first time reading him and I really liked this

What's another work by him that's the closest to this? This was my first time reading him and I really liked this.

Other urls found in this thread:

gen.lib.rus.ec/foreignfiction/index.php?s=mishima&f_lang=German&f_columns=0&f_ext=All&f_group=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

suicide by kys
^Also my personal testament on pretentiousness,autism fantasy and again ^^^^^^^

Thanks for wasting your time and mine.

It was my first Mishima book too, probably the only one of its kind Just go through his works in order as I am at the moment, they're often semi-autobiographical or infused with the same "aspirational self loathing"

I did want to read one of his novels, I was just curious if he did another non-fiction work that's similar to Sun and Steel mostly.

Idk about closest, but a lot of the ideas in sun and steel he first wrote about in confessions of a mask. Also he references some of the events in it, being autobiographical and all.

>read Mishima
>his words deeply resonate with me
>find out he's a faggot
welp

I mean, he had a wife and kids, so at the worst he was bisexual and not pure homo.

He also nearly married the lady who is now the Tenno's wife, Empress Michiko.

They had an official getting-to-know-each-other meeting for an arranged marriage but decided against it, for unknown regions. Probably just didn't click.

Also funny: Mishima was good friends with the guy who ended up being the previous governor of Tokyo, Shintaro Ishihara (above guy in my picture, below is Mishima). Ishihara became famous for being ultra-conservative, writing many /pol/tier books about Japan's positions in the world, how various Japanese atrocities never happened, how Judo has become a sport of brutes, how French is a garbage language etc. Keep in mind that everytime you think about Mishima it's easy to ignore what a extremely high society upbringing and background he had.

He has another book called The Way of the Samurai that is good.

I would honestly recommend Evola, especially his "other" books, the ones that aren't Tiger or Revolt. Plus the whole conservative revolutionary milieu - Ernst Junger, Hugo von Hofmannsthal, Drieu de la Rochelle, Heimito von Doderer, Ernst von Salomon, etc. Maybe Junger's On Pain.

why cant i find any german translations for this faggots books? only second hand ones on amazon.
could any german user help me out please

gen.lib.rus.ec/foreignfiction/index.php?s=mishima&f_lang=German&f_columns=0&f_ext=All&f_group=1

Mostly PDF though :(

I mean the guy did write about bushido and honor and all that, so how could he identify with a woman? (Viz. women don't understand honor.)

thx, found some on bookzz as well. converting pdfs didn work out well for me in the past tho, seems that ive to give it another try

I like conservative authors, but the mix I liked about Sun and Steel was his talking about the combination of Martial Arts/physical training and also being interested in literature. Aspects other than this in the book were also wonderful, but I especially liked this angle.

I enjoyed most of Jack Donovan's books and I was reminded them when I read Sun and Steel, but probably because (as far as I know) one of Donovan's largest influences is Mishima.

>reading translations
>reading JAPANESE translations
literally the worst of the worst

Its funny how everyone in the thread is having a fine time just discussing his works and you had to come in like "hurr ur all psueds xD" lol what a funny board

You're full of shit if you're implying that you found a 'deep resonance' before you found out his homosexuality which was far from writing on the wall

this list is shit desu
ignoring thirst for love which is one of his best makes no sense
also i started with the sea of fertility, idk why it would be suggested last

Japanese translations can be iffy, that's true. But the low quality "un-english" translations are usually relegated to weeb tier stuff.

>Because the fact of not being understood by other people had become my only real source of pride, I was never confronted by any impulse to express things and to make others understand something that I knew. I thought that those things which could be seen by others were not ordained for me. My solitude grew more and more obese, just like a pig.

Don't most people recommend you start with Confessions of a Mask? For me it went sun&steel-->mask-->sailor-->temple-->sound of waves-->sea of fertility.

Also read Yourcenar and Roy Starr.

Mask feels much more juvenile than the rest of Mishima. I wouldn't recommend starting chronologically.

There is a coldness to Japanese translation. It just doesn't seem human.

Being attracted to men is patrician.

I can't tell if this was by an American or a weeb.

Favorite work?

Read the Sea of Fertility cycle. Runaway Horses is the second one, but deals with similar themes despite being fiction.

>thirst for love
My nigga

this, being gay is just another level of mishima's aesthetic

yeah it's a pretty shit list imo

after the banquet is good too

I feel like the list should start with Patriotism too. It's a short story so less investment and it's pretty representative

am i pathetic for being able to relate to etsuko's loneliness so well
I've never felt like a character was so similar to me before reading this book

>am i pathetic
yes

I honestly don't think I've ever encountered a Japanese translation of anything that wasn't sterile and...stilted. And I've been around, everything from light novels to histories to great literature.