Materialism = Nihilism

What are some good books refuting the hedonistic positivist nihilism so prevalent in the world today? What authors can compel us to believe in something other than physical gratification?

No one. Get up, get a job, get good.
This search will only hold you back and you know it.

Nietzsche, Evola, and Devi all deal with those questions and their writings are recent.
I think you'll like Thus Spoke Zarathustra, Revolt against the Modern World, and the Lightning and the Sun.

shut up fag
*drags you down to my tickle torture dungeon, the only purpose of your existence from now on to gratify my lust and cruelty*

Here ya go

I should remake this but a non-pseud version...

please do user

There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to make money and buy stuff, you're just one of those teenagers rebelling against their parents because that's what they feel they should be doing.
Here's some food for your thought, even though it will take you a while to digest it: nobody really cares about physical gratification and those people who are still incomplete at the end of the day. Nowadays people believe just as much as they've always had.
You know those rappers whom people call 'materialistic' and only sing about how much money they have and how many things they buy, do you really think those things are actually what they care about? Fuck no, they have to let everyone know about them and thus amplify their self worth. That's what they believe in.
Do you think that Dan Bilzerian guy would be content to fuck all those girls if nobody found out about it? If it was only that he wouldn't bother uploading dozens of pics from the most favourable angles to his Instagram. Thousands of people in the comments envy him, so how could he not think himself a god because of that?
Do you think buying a pair of Gucci shoes or a Ralph Lauren shirt feels so good that it warrants paying so much for them? Of course not. People buy expensive things so that people judge them accordingly. That's what people believe in.
Don't you think all those billionaires eventually reach a point where they can get literally every kind of physical gratification that is humanly possible? But they still keep wanting more and more money, so there must be something else that drives them.
If you ask me, I'd say that people are way too idealistic and not materialistic enough. That people buy too much into the ideals of the herd and don't have anything of their own.

>Fuck no, they have to let everyone know about them and thus amplify their self worth.
>defining your self worth through material gain
>somehow distinct from materialism
O-ok.

You're right user, a critique of materialism is the solitary refuge of the rebellious adolescent. It's not like it's something every child gets drummed into their head (however superficially) in public school.
Or maybe the real rebel without a cause is the man hanging his defence of materialism on pointless pedantry.

You both don't know what you are talking about. You have some idea in your head that you call materialism, label it as being bad and mainstream and then go around expecting everyone to know what you are talking about. Why don't you explain what you understand by materialism and what you think an alternative to it might be, in a post at least as lengthy as mine.

>they don't believe in materialism
>describes materialism
I don't like making money and I don't like business. I don't like buying things to impress others superficially. It's degrading and it disgusts.
But here is the funny part, I'm most likely richer than your entire family.

>The Buddhist Ethic and the Spirit of Global Capitalism

Georges Bataille and his thoughts on economy.

stating the obvious. everyone who thinks that neoliberalism and consumerism is a materialist culture is very ill-informed.

What I described there is the pseud's understanding of materialism. Really it is just the bad form of idealism, as opposed to the good form of idealism (and even so, both forms still have the same final purpose and one can quickly turn into the other). We humans are idealistic beings by our nature. Money is just a bunch of paper or some numbers on a website, it has no inherent value if we don't give it.
But I believe there is another way to live. I believe you can at least try to connect with reality and live according to what there is in front of you and what you can feel with your senses. Tabula rasa. That's what materialism is.

>Money is just a bunch of paper or some numbers on a website, it has no inherent value if we don't give it.
Idealism is a bunch of garbage. People are shaped by material conditions, and the material conditions, in particular the economic system, shape people to thirst for money and consumption, more desperately than a thirsty man thirsts for water in a desert.

neoliberalism would crumble without advertisment.

Walking for too long on the path against the grain led me to insanity. Now I'm 28 years old and there is no return for me, so I have to go even further into the Chaos. God damn I miss normality.

None of the statement you make contradict an idealistic world view - in the philosophical meaning of the word idealism.

Even in the stricter sense an economic system is an idea as is money.

Sane don't just turn insane. You were probably always going to lose your sanity.

People are shaped by other people (who may or may not hold control over the material conditions).

>Money is just a bunch of paper or some numbers on a website
Food is just a bunch of molecules, it has no intrinsic value.

“It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other. That’s the path we’re on now. What a withering, ignoble end…”

From what I gather from the other posts there is a heavy undertone of current materialism being broken (or not materialist enough) due to people being materialist-as-spectacle (or more precisely, act as if only what lies in front of them matters) yet idealize such actions, which ultimately leads to a twisted and perverted form of materialism where the emergence of capital is worshiped as ideal.

Now, I would have you expand on what does the iteration of materialism which does justice to its own name, looks like. How/is it different from primitivism? From another post it might also look very much like the future envisioned by Nick Land where, if even this, we are mere cogs. It seems like opposing idealism 100% isn't a particularly attractive way to go: whereas the neoliberal worships and praises the attention he craves (and gets) from relishing in the material-as-ideal, would the materialist not 'succumb' to matter just the same, but now as ant in a nest?

Das Kapital - Marx
The myth of the State - Ernst Cassirer
The culture industry - Adorno
The One dimensional man - Marcuse
You must change your life - Sloterdijk
Spheres - Sloterdijk
The Antichrist - Nietzsche

money represents people's time, as such it represents the power to make people use their time for your goals, if you don't get this you too dumb a mother fuker to be anything but a peasant pre-1789 so kys

Too simplistic of a definition for money, it's not even up to standard with things already posted ITT. You'll have to elaborate on that fella. Also

> as such it represents the power to make people use their time for your goals

This says nothing short of "Some people own the potentiality of other people's use of time *a priori*, from birth, with no possibility of redemption short of a revolution". Note I'm not arguing for or against it, I'm just saying, it's a shitty definition to teach the people you're buying time from (cheaper and cheaper as time passes/social time compresses), and the elite is probably doing a much better job than this in remaining elite.

An iteration of materialism cannot exist because, as I've said, humans are idealistic creatures. What I wanted to prove to OP was that our problem is not the lack of idealism at all, it is the prevalence of that corrupted and not self-aware idealism that is running through everything we do. I don't have a solution or alternative to this, but I'm thinking of something like the Nietzschean distancing from herd mentality and resentment.

But on a day to day scale I think we should all stop thinking like this guy and realize that we don't have to do something with our lives so that someone will call us "heroic". We should observe ourselves and see what we need in our lives, not what somebody else says we do. You can do beautiful things with your life by being materialistic. My father saved worked hard and saved money all his life so that now he can buy some land in the country and build a house there himself. He's not going to be famous because of that but that is pretty cool. Also I don't see any problem with someone whose only purpose is living comfortably and having fun.

if ur that buttblasted about working for someone else, then go to the bank, take out a fucking loan, and start a business

That does clear things up, and I more or less believe I agree with that sentiment.

>if you don't like being exploited why don't you just exploit others

>something other than physical gratification?
Like what? Your very thoughts are physical.

everything is quantifiable in money terms. NRx cat just recognizes that things like 'social cohesion' and 'lack of crime' are of greater value than 'authentic ethnic cuisine' and 'brown qts'

There is little point in defeating materialism in purely theoretical terms. The truth is that we live in a materialist society and going against it is only going to end in suffering.
If you don't have money, you don't get a house
If you don't have money, you don't get food
If you don't have money you don't get friends
If you don't have money, you don't get pussy
Now I realize that all my problems could be solved if I was rich
Trying to defeat materialism by reading and writing shit debunking it is equivalent to intellectual wankery

They were confused by your shifting of the definition of materialism. Your post implies that people are only materialistic if they want meaningless things for the sake of the things themselves, and that it's not materialism if they're seeking these things to win the approval of others and society at large. This is silly. That "keeping up with the Joneses" effect is materialistic, as the user in pointed out quite succinctly. Tl;dr you broke "materialism" into two arbitrary categories (individual and social) and suggested that since the categories are different, materialism doesn't exist.

Consciousness and Society by Hughes. He doesn't refute positivism so much as integrate it into our intuition/verstehen. He also talks about how literature is moving away from positivism (i.e. "realistic" stories like hemingway or steinbeck) towards literature with less or no formal structure.

[Narcissism Intensifies]

Brown qts > social cohesion and lack of crime

>inclding

>Ralph Lauren shirt feels so good that it warrants paying so much for them?
You've clearly never touched a RL purple label shirt.

>consumerism is not materialist
Have you ever hurr'd so hard that you durr'd?

>Your very thoughts are physical.

>hedonistic positivist nihilism
I don't think you know what those words mean.

>Marxism
>anti materialist
>anti nihilist
>anti positivist

Good one

can I read these if I haven’t started with the greeks

>Marxism
>Positivist
>Nihilist
Back to /pol/

its called verificationism and eliminativist materialism first of all, and second of all you can’t refute it. hedonism is an inefficient life strategy that only benefits exremely high fitness humans. what you want is not possible user. ive tried endlessly to attack elim mat and verificationism and they’re basically unassailable. there is no good reason to be a hedonist unless you are fabulously wealthy, multimillionaire, or extremely attractive, 9/10+ and there’s a very low chance you are either. Sorry :/

is this shit supposed to be funny? kill yourself retard

Not an argument my dear narwhal.

>But here is the funny part, I'm most likely richer than your entire family.

Contempt for money is a sign of good breeding.

Correct.

jeez it's like you almost got to the point of realizing that materialism is more of a religion that ascribes power to images of material possessions than it is just liking material goods for themselves, but then you just gave up because you're a pussy faggot

>install temple OS

Aristotle

>The Lightning and the Sun
>The book is famous for its author's claim thatAdolf Hitlerwas an avatar of the Hindu GodVishnu.

12 Rules for Life by Dr. Jordan B. Peterson