C. G. Jung

WHAT book should i start at? i am a serious brainlet.

You start with Freud

The two have little in common and papa Chad Daddy is always btfoing Freud for his sexual reductionism. As for OP, I started with Modern Library's "Basic Writings of C.G. Jung" and I'm glad I did. It might be a bit heady but it's breadth of topics gave me enough familiarity to read other works without worrying about undertanding his language. It also helped that that book had an 80-page section just on definitions, although for whatever reason it wasn't until about 400 pages in.

google it nerd

>little in common
Jung developed his theory from Freuds. You start with Freud before you go into the religion shills work.

Using someone else's groundwork as a launching point but arriving at completely different deductions doesn't constitute similarity though. You can say start with Freud but if you're just interested in Jungian psychology, not the historical trajectory of psychology, then it's largely an inconsequential endeavor. Jung thought Freud was a grug any time he tried to share his developments with Freud and Freud would reduce it to something sexual instead of listening to what he had to say, and as such hated getting his flavor of psychoanalysis lumped in with Freudian psychology just on the basis of them being contemporaries.

Highly recommend Penguin's "Essential Jung". It's a great overview of his big ideas and it has lots of his later, amazingly fucked up writing on magic and faith.

I don't think the two can be separated. A lot can be learned by reading both. When reading psychoanalysis, it's very beneficial to know about the theories that came before the one you're currently reading. But I guess if OP is only interested in Jung because he saw a P******* video or is just memeing, reading whatever is good.

12 Rules for Life by Dr. Jordan B. Peterson

The Undiscovered Self

Start with the Very Short Introduction (after having completed The Greeks)

Maps of meaning

The man and his symbols

You can watch Cliff's review on the book, to gain a deeper understanding of what's happening

Some good old H.P. Lovecraft

This.

Start with this
C.G. Jung Psychological Reflections : A New Anthology of His Writings, 1905-1961

>the central theme of Lovecrafts work is the grappling of man with the unconscious world, which appears to him as a kind of horrible deep-sea rift he feels himself drawn to. Unable to reconcile the world of dreams and the world of rationality, man is ultimately forced to deny one of the two, one part of himself, and become one kind of monster or another.

Carter achieves something approaching enlightenment in 'through the gates of the silver key', lead by an actual benevolent eldritch divinity, but then again that was co-written by a Bhuddist friend of Lovecrafts

t.

Start with the Greeks.

Well, he's not wrong.

They kill a lot of innocent people, but they are sorted. I can imagine walking down the street in Israel safely - can you do that in other parts of the middle east?