Thought about reading LOTR. Is the pic related a good edition? If not, which one should I buy?

Thought about reading LOTR. Is the pic related a good edition? If not, which one should I buy?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Zi8b7Hfsczw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

it was written originally in english, it's all the same

anyway why does that edition has 4 books? does it include the hobbit or did they split some book?

The hardcovers with the illustrations that Tolkien himself did for the books.

>it was written originally in english, it's all the same

This. Just go to a used book store and get the cheapest version there.

yeah it has the hobbit included, I was sort of wondering becuase people were talking about how the 50th anniversary text is the one you should read, and this verison doesn't have it apparently

I would buy the regular paperbacks and then, if you really enjoy it, do this Tolkien's illustrations are lovely

The one on the far left says "the hobbit"

this feels like a series where i need hardback or leather to be honest so i dont think ill go with a paperback

can anyone give ISBN to a hardback with tolkiens illustration?

But you don't know if you'll like it yet!

>The Fellowship of the Ring, part one of J.R.R. Tolkien’s epic masterpiece, first reached these shores on October 21, 1954, arriving, as C. S. Lewis proclaimed, “like lightning from a clear sky.” Fifty years and nearly one hundred million American readers later comes a beautiful new one-volume collector’s edition befitting the stature of this crown jewel of our list. With a text fully corrected under the supervision of Christopher Tolkien to meet the author’s exacting wishes, two large-format fold-out maps, a ribbon placemarker, gilded page edges, a color insert depicting Tolkien's own paintings of the Book of Mazarbul and exceptionally elegant and sturdy overall packaging housed within an attractive slipcase, this edition is the finest we’ve ever produced.
Anybody knows what did they correct?

btw maps are great for LOTR, so it would be good to get a book with a nice map in it

editions with 1 book instead of 3 look nice but they are very clunky to read

lets be real man I probably will

Pic related are the covers by Tolkien.

I have the millenium edition, it's a nice 7-volume hardback, which is good for portability.
before anybody asks, book 7 is the appendices and index
I would just buy the paperbacks tbph, and if you like it buy a nicer edition later. That's what I do.

Really ugly colors on the last one to be honest

This edition is literally made for people that don't intend to read it and just place it on their shelf. The paper is made out of toilet paper, and the font is really small. Don't waste your money, user.

These should also have the updated text (think they are 50th anniversary editions themselves).

yeah I guess I'd get a headache from that tiny font as well, taking your advice

i had one that looked like this, but in red and it didn't have a shitty picture in the cover, just a nice cloth cover with the title in golden letters and a shitty dust jacket with pictures in it

a bit clunky to read, but it looked nice

you could kill somebody with that

I'll admit the hobbit is great but does anyone actually enjoy lotr? I tried reading it a bunch of times but could never finish it, so boring

It's boring because you're young and stupid.

Loved every line and every blade of grass described in it. I can understand why other people want plot, but i haven't been convinced to fall for that meme

Never seen this edition before, very cool set.

this.
people who knew Tolkien said he could ramble on about trees and plants for hours if you let him.

>book is written for children
>is meant for children
>movies are marketed towards children
>themes are clearly for children
>y-you don’t like it because you’re not an elder manchild yet

>>themes are clearly for children
completely false

I have this. Probably the best edition you can buy. Unfortunately, the spin is pretty loose.

>Unfortunately, the spin is pretty loose.
well, surely it can't be the best edition then?

In terms of looks and content? I believe so. 50th Anniversary means it comes with the final text revision. Each subsequent edition has it but they all look awful compared to this one. I know the 60th editions have the extra artwork but I don’t care much for them. this collection of hardcovers along with the companion text are nice but cost like $250 by now.

You're thinking of Harry Potter.

LotR wasn't even written for children

i have a box set of these ones, it's my dad's from when he was a teenager. they're pretty beat up and yellowed but i think it adds to the charm. i'm reading the series for the first time right now, and i just finished the first half of the two towers. so i guess i don't actually have a recommendation for the OP, i just felt like sharing this B^)

>the spine is loose but it looks nice
>probably the best edition

Kek. It’s not that awful at the end of the day. I read through it already and it held up well. I just expected more from something that cost as much as a Folio book. Those have proper bindings for the cost they charge.

I use the hardcover for home use, and an ePub for when I'm on the go.

You have the next best thing for people who don't want to carry a bible everywhere.

>Illustrated by literally who
why?

This is factually untrue. Many, many, many versions of TLotR are rife with errors thanks to Tolkien's awful organization and the incompetence of editors. Many corrections were made, and then lost, and then remade, and so forth throughout the publishing lifetime of the story. In general if it's a newer version it is fine, but the older ones have issues.

Get the Harper Collins paperbacks, they're cheap and have everything you need. I found Two Towers sitting at a bookstore for like 3$ iirc

this is the best looking one ive seen. unfortunately ive never seen it irl. id get it in a heartbeat if i did though.
i have pic related. the edges wore out pretty quickly. like a penguin classic but its pretty sleek if you dont want to lug around a 1000 page tome.

It's a shame they've dumped those neat covers on the latest editions

Queen of Denmark

you are unironically telling the truth, i guess i'll shut my mouth then like a good pleb

I like the minimalist covers they're using right now. I bought the whole bundle... Hobbit, LOTR, Silmarillion, Children of Hurin, and Unfinished Tales

It's fantasy user, B list covers are a part of the job

beautiful edition. a friend of mine has this, and the Silmarillion. i go a bit like smeagol when i see them

i only found this out the other day, although i have been familiar with the folio edition for years.

The "boring" parts are comfy as hell to me. Never understood such opinions. Reading the Shire parts of the journey up through the barrow wights is like listening to Boards of Canada, a strong nostalgic feeling washes over you.

Languages evolve every day. The english language from 2018 is a different language then the english from 2017 or the one from 2016.

Do you think the books get updated every year, you fucking pseud?

How do you think translators trick retards into buying new translations?

We're not talking about translations.

how would we understand books from the past otherwise?

Seconded. I used to work in a bookstore during the first movie craze and always got people on those editions. They use the corrected editing of the post-film revision (editions before that, especially U.S. are chock full of errors), they have nice Alan Lee covers, and they're a bit easier to hold and read than the black-cover mass markets (though the text is the same). You need any post-50th Anniversary Edition (2004 or 2005) to get rid of most errors.

kill yourself my dude

Does anyone in here have the 1975 George Allen & Unwin Third edition of The Hobbit?

If so, does the cover (not the dust-jacket) have the original first print cover with the dragon?

Yes, it does: green cloth boards with the dragon & mountain design on it.

>before anybody asks, book 7 is the appendices and index
Let's be honest, book 7 is only there so they could spell T-O-L-K-I-E-N

You're thinking of The Hobbit.

for some reason that one letter on each book thing is making me angry

It's genre fiction, just get shitty paperbacks

>movies are marketed towards children
>filled with gore, deafening audio, and are (in total) 9 hours long
god, i hope not.

This box set + The Annotated Hobbit cost me $60. It's worth it.

>sci-fi letters
why? also how is the annotated hobbit? what does it provide? sounds interesting

There's a lot of notes and illustrations. Just about each page has a margin of notes or b&w illustration. Tolkien's illustrations are in color. Some of the notes are not that helpful, like explaining what "mead" is, some notes show passages that were changed in earlier drafts, and some reference his letters (like the one between Tolkien and Gene Wolfe on "wargs").

The author was a professor and a linguist and he put a lot of depth into these books. They may read allegorically but Tolkien claimed they were just good stories. Please read these books, user. Also be aware that the writing in the Hobbit and the trilogy and a bit different. Hobbit is a bit goofier.

Ayy lmao, I have that edition. Served me very well, I traveled with them and since the covers aren't typical thin paperback covers but instead a thicker soft synthetic material they held up very well. The cover is thicker around the edges so it isn't completely flat, but you get what you pay for I guess. Hopefully small font isn't an issue for you, since the book is only a little over 6 inches tall (on the upside, fits snugly in larger pockets). I'd recommend buying that edition to read it for your first time, and if you like the books buy one of the big beautiful illustrated editions other anons have posted when you reread it (I make sure to reread it once a year). If you want to see the font size or cover I can attach a picture.

This. I reread the fellowship at least once a year. Definitely the most comfy lit I've ever read. For me it's like the literary form of a John Bauer painting.

Alrightt gentlemen ive had these copies since around 2006 or so and need new editions. These are beat to hell due to my teenage self being bullied alot at redneck book hating public school, the Silmarillions cover is barely even attached after being kicked around so many times back then.
I need the newest Hardcover editions for the LOTR trilogy, Hobbit, & Silmarillion. Preferably illustrated by Tolkien if possible. Box sets would be nice. Any consensus? Does Unfinished Tales have a nice hardcover? Mine is a tiny paperback not pictured.

Only assholes buy this version.

who chooses?

The tattoo confirms it

>redneck book hating public school
Is this really a thing at the other side of the pond?

A man

Not now that every Hollywood movie is an adaptation of a book or comic book, no

Tove Jansson's illustrations for The Hobbit are the comfiest desu.

Some say the text is tiny. Something to consider.

Here's a short video about them:

youtube.com/watch?v=Zi8b7Hfsczw

>Lohikäärme vuori
Ebin :DDD

These are absolutely terrible. I bet most fancy editions like these are bought by people who liked the movies and struggle through the first 50 pages before giving up.

I have those minus The Hobbit, also from my dad. Fully agree that it adds to the charm

Just get all of them bro

What the fuck
This might be the most disturbing thing I've seen on Veeky Forums

>they still don't have the best one

is that a cd?

No its a book
I got it for my birthday years ago and never opened it because I've read the hobbit already
Just realized someone took shitty notes on the last chapter lol

Wait..they made a book based on the movie??
That's weird LOL.

I didn't like the movie.

I really dig these. Not the translation, it's shit (but nostalgic), and there's an error in it where Merry kills The Witch-King instead of Éowyn which they didn't fix till the 90's.

All are the fucking same novel.

My sister and brother-in-law just named their newborn after a Tolkien character. Anybody care to guess his name?

Sam

Witch King of Angmar

tom bombadil

Better not be Legolas

Smaug

None. It's a book outside of The Hobbit and the trilogy.

Beowulf?

Gothmog

Fingolfin