I really enjoyed moby dick compared to most other novels I've read...

I really enjoyed moby dick compared to most other novels I've read, especially the way melville writes but apparently its not even that great of a novel. So how do I find out what I enjoy to read and how do I decide on what is objectively good/not good?

I have no idea what to read, I've been trying to read the KJV Bible for over a year now but keep on putting it off. I just don't know what else I enjoy. Translation of Don Quixote is entertaining enough but it doesn't make me sit back in amazement when I read sentences (being a translation and all) whereas melvilles writing is such a pleasure to read, like his thoughts are operating on another level or multiple levels there are differing perspectives interwoven in sentences that I'm able to see. I've read the confidence man and billy budd but now I don't know what to do. I don't get much enjoyment out of reading shakespeares plays or reading the KJV even though they've influenced his work. Blood Meridian was nice but I'm not all that interested in any other of Mccarthys novels.

How do I find out what I enjoy? How do I learn to enjoy reading the KJV Bible?

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/lit/thread/10717138#p10719017
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

J

Faulkner

Just fucking read whatever you want/feel to. You like some author? Read more by him, read something from the same period/style, read some author who influenced the authors you like. There are literally thousands of books you can read, why are you trying to push down your troath books you don't like? I swear the most stupid things about literature are always posted in this fucking dumb board.

Moby Dick is considered by a fuck ton of people to be the best work of American lit. Anyone who is trying to sell you that it isn't considered to be a great novel is memeing you my friend.

I must read and understand the Bible to understand novels.

>apparently its not even that great of a novel
Where did you get this from? I’m not even an American but I believe Moby is easily one of the greatest novels in world literature. Easily. Also try reading Thomas Browne’s Urne-Burial, he was a big influence on Melville’s style.

i don't normally like girls with tattoos but i want to cum on her little bow
even tho she has christiano ronaldo's face

Looks like Carol Penelope

its a shemale

>but apparently its not even that great of a novel. So how do I find out what I enjoy to read and how do I decide on what is objectively good/not good?
You are probably objectively the stupidest person to have ever made a post on Veeky Forums, please go hang yourself immediately and rid this planet the burden of bearing up such an automaton and nincompoop as your mouth-breathing self.

even better

Join Goodreads
Make friends there
Join discussion groups there
Peruse reading lists and friend's lists
Read reviews and ratings
Enjoy

Read it, yes. But you'll never comprehensively "get it." It's a lifelong endeavor.

Oh, it is Carol Penelope? Looks like they shooped out her dick

warosu.org/lit/thread/10717138#p10719017

>but apparently its not even that great of a novel.
wut, what the fuck? How did you get this idea?

>how do I decide on what is objectively good/not good?
If we want to be objective you can't "decide" what's good or bad, you have to determine. And I don't recommend that because it will limit your experiences and enjoyment, you will turn art evaluation into a checklist of requirements. When this happened in the past you'd end up with doctrines that today seem utterly ridiculous (aristotelian unities, according to which Shakespeare, Chekhov and Ibsen are of little artistic value). I prefer to let each work be itself, nothing more and nothing less, and let it affect me as it wishes to.

>Translation of Don Quixote is entertaining enough but it doesn't make me sit back in amazement when I read sentences (being a translation and all)
It's not because of the translation. Translations don't matter _that_ much, DQ is just a simpler work than Moby Dick, its beauty is subtler.

>How do I find out what I enjoy?
You already know what you enjoy. What you should do is expand your tastes.

Don't tell me you actually think that post is true

>I really enjoyed moby dick compared to most other novels I've read, especially the way melville writes but apparently its not even that great of a novel.

Troll thread. Nobody could read and enjoy Moby Dick on an 85IQ

>not even that great of a novel
motherfucker what it's great

>how do I find out what I enjoy to read and how do I decide on what is objectively good/not good?

To answer the first part, you read. Read a lot. There's no way you don't know if you'll like a book if you don't read it. If you want to be really efficient with your time, if you can, skim through the book that interests you, reading a paragraph here and there every 20 pages, just seeing if it's interesting. If it's boring for you all the way through, put it back. You'll figure out your tastes sooner or later.

To answer the second part, the main thing you should look for in a good book is whether or not it challenges and interests you. Don't look to see if it's easy to read or entertaining, then you have very little to gain from it. Don't look to see if it's so beyond your scope that you're lost by every other sentence, because then that inevitably becomes a slog. You want to understand the book, of course, but it should challenge you greatly to fully comprehend it. It should be a struggle and a worthy fight, not a one-sided beat-down on either side. Then you know that there's something to learn and gain from reading it. That is probably the only quality of a book that can appropriately measure whether or not it is objectively good.

Unless they are a professional critic or a scholar whose dedicated their life to literature, everybody else's opinion of books can go to hell. Don't read for the sake of other people, read for your own development.

If you like the novel then you like the novel. It's great to you, right?

Just read a lot user. You gotta refine your taste one way or another. Try another great western novel like Don Quixote or something.

DON'T YOU EVER CALL JENETTE MCCRUDY A SHEMALE AGAIN!!!!