Read Dubliners for the first time

>Read Dubliners for the first time
>Have an existential crisis

Well played Joyce.

>not being in a constant state of existential crisis

I am now

>opened the thread to make the same post
>but then started mocking OP's "existential crisis'

James Joyce... the master of us all. The greatest writer to ever live. I would uncover my head and kneel before his tomb.

How old are you?

Can't fathom why people claim that he's so good. Even during his time he wasn't the best. He was a daring and succesful innovator but i don't think he comes even close to somebody like Dostoyevski or during his time even Musil. Then again his position is so unique among writers that every comparison seems impossible to do. Just don't understand how people can be so incredibly impressed by this guy aside from "so this is what you can do with language"

>Inb4 too young

No, the opposite. I read it in my twenties and it didn't have much of an impact on me so I figured you were younger

Ah right, well thanks.

>i don't think he comes even close to somebody like Dostoyevski or during his time even Musil
who else am I supposed to be impressed by
please give me a list so I know what to enjoy

>A Little Cloud
>Counterparts
>A Painful Case
Clay seems almost heartwarming sandwiched between those three

>Dostoyevski or during his time even Musil

A painful case actually killed me

Can you start with Dubliners, or do you have to read some of his other stuff first? I know I have to read Portrait of an Artist before I tackle Ulysses

Dubliners was my starting point, and I'm pretty sure it's recommended that way.

What's the point in reading some weird author nobody knows outside of academia ? Just read the classics instead.

>What's the point in reading at all?

Joyce is a canonical author though. Dubliners is one of the "classics"

Can't have a crisis if you don't value existence

hi brainlet!

If you don't value life you're a brainlet