I just got to the part of Antifragile where he btfos transsexuals as the sissy fragilistas they are...

I just got to the part of Antifragile where he btfos transsexuals as the sissy fragilistas they are, how is this man allowed to publish books still?

Other urls found in this thread:

medium.com/east-med-project-history-philology-and-genetics/no-jesus-was-not-a-nonwhite-refugee-who-would-have-voted-for-43779209eea4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Is this really a thing? Post a pic of the page. I've only read Fooled by Randomness and I didn't plan on reading any more but if this is true, I'm buying all his books.

i love taleb, but can someone explain why his fans are so fucking retarded? the comments on his facebook page/youtube vids are embarrassing

just another one in the pseud parade

just looked through the glossary of my copy, can't find transsexual

I don't remember that part. What did he say?

Why is this guy popular again? What does he actually do other than write edgy "concept" books?

all kinds of business fags got their mind's blown by that black swan book, and he's just been coastin off that since

Gets in arguments about how white he is on twitter

He's a pretty entertaining character who makes a couple of genuinely interesting points. Be warned, though, his books are basically about 20-30 pages worth of interesting points spread across 4 books and padded out with anecdotes about how smart he thinks he is.

Interesting. Taleb seems to me as one of those outsider sort of thinkers who resents Academia presumably someone of his peculiar personality and degree of intelligence wouldn't fit in with with structure and rigors of Academia.

what are you talking about this dude was a total ringer, he went to all elite schools and is now a professor at nyu, god is he another one of those academics going around bashing academia despite dedicating his whole life to it, getting sick of those dudes

You're right. I put together a bunch of assumptions for no real reason other than to speak to someone else.

Calling it bluff, faggot

he includes HRT in a list of iatrogenic medical treatments.

>his entire life
he spent a few decades as a trader first and basically had enough money to retire by the time he was 30, he retired to a life of bullying people in academia.

He very much was an outsider until 2008 when he got a reputation as one of the people who 'predicted' the crash. He didn't really predict the details of the crash, just the reason for it (the financial system being a completely misregulated mess full of 'financial products and services' that nobody, not even the people offering them fundamentally understand).

>he spent a few decades as a trader first and basically had enough money to retire by the time he was 30, he retired to a life of bullying people in academia.
sounds like a dream job desu

Enlighten us o wise one

He sounds like the guy who got into it to avoid wageslaving.

>he includes HRT in a list of iatrogenic medical treatments.
don't know about you fellas but when I want some medical advice I first go to a hedge fund manager

"never trust the financial advice of a man who has to work for a living"

t. taleb

>be me homeless for awhile
>homeless freight hopping
>drink and drug to my heart's content
>never worked through the whole time

My advice: your cognitive experience is nothing more than chemical interractions. The rest is hypocrisy.

He speaks in aphorisms and challenges the status quo of academia, of course retards are going to love him (which says nothing about the value of the work, which does have some)

I mean, the information is available to anyone, it's pretty obvious that a lot of treatments are over-prescribed and HRT is one of them, especially considering that everyone is aware of the long term damage they can cause. Of all of his random pondering outside of his specialization in finance and probability his remarks on what's wrong with medicine in the US are the best. The incentive structure in the pharmaceutical industry in particular is broken, it's not like he's the only one saying it.

He embraces the retards, the only intellectual class he actually hates is the middlebrow news watching slaves of the intellectual zeitgeist.

>The incentive structure in the pharmaceutical industry in particular is broken, it's not like he's the only one saying it.
you see, I can agree with this
the problem I have is something like this:
>it's pretty obvious that a lot of treatments are over-prescribed and HRT is one of them
where the first part I consider true but the second ("and HRT is one of them") I don't know if you're relaying his conclusion ("HRT is overprescribed as I've concluded from this and that") or you're deducing it from something like "treatments are overprescribed + hrt is a treatment -> hrt is overprescribed"

HRT is over-prescribed based on empirical evidence. It's typically used to treat either gender dysphoria in men or menopausal symptoms in women. Menopausal symptoms in women, while uncomfortable, are practically never hazardous to one's health, while HRT has been shown to significantly increase the risk of blood clots, stroke, heart attack and reproductive cancers.

These longterm risks are amplified when HRT is used to treat gender dysphoric young men, as hormones are prescribed to children as young as their early teens and are administered throughout life. While a menopausal woman might have somewhere between 20 to 30 expected years of life left after the onset of treatment, a young man has 60-70. The risk might be acceptable if it were demonstrated that gender transition demonstrably reduced the rates of suicide and other self destructive behaviors but there is little to no evidence that this is the case.

He also makes statins an example, highly ubiquitous, and many of them are prescribed to people who are only slightly hypertensive and could easily get within the normal range through minor lifestyle alterations, or would be better off living with an infinitesimally higher risk of cardiac arrest in order to avoid the risk of adverse side effects. He also reminded me of the shift, now the high end of the normal range is called 'pre-hypertensive' which implies that there's something wrong with someone who has what the medical establishment will admit are fundamentally typical numbers.

He is MED you stupid idiot.

He likes the barbell. So only retards and high-brow sycophants.

HRT is used for things other than what you use it for.

He actually has somethings of use to say on statistics and finnance, but he doesn't have the intelectual depth or rigor that a lot of contrarians ascribe to him.

He hardly if ever adresses the sound counter-arguments brought to him, and often has cringy interactions over the internet.

>HRT is used for things other than what you use it for.
put it in your buddy's drink for a laugh?

>iatrogenic

>and often has cringy interactions over the internet.
wasn't the internet invented for that?

Stop playing identity politics. How is this any different than some lunatic liberal screaming about how all cis white men are rapists? Just stop.

What is the obsession with transsexuals anyway

it's the new civil rights frontier to surpass. once we get that victore we will soon reach liberal utopia

we have to cull the problematic population first actually

he's actuallu really entertaining and funny and white

I don't see how we can hope to achieve civil rights for a demographic that the left can't even accurately describe.

sex and gender are oppressive social structures, once they are dynamited everybody will be happy and comfortable in their own bodies and just be themselves :3

Except that runs contrary to the need actual transsexuals have for surgery.

>how is this man allowed to publish books still?
He's a Muslim

it's societies fault

Eastern Orthodox

mediterranean
medium.com/east-med-project-history-philology-and-genetics/no-jesus-was-not-a-nonwhite-refugee-who-would-have-voted-for-43779209eea4

Sex and gender identity refer to two distinct objects. Sex is, basically, for the lay person genital anatomy. Gender identity is harder to describe. But it is possible to for a male to be female and a female, male; in the same way as it's possible for a person to hear colors, or feel pain in an arm that isn't there. Just because an experience isn't logically sound doesn't mean it isn't real or significant. You can see transsexuals by their sex. And think about them that way. It's ok. A lot of people can't help it. And that isn't offensive. Gender identity is thought to result from a compromised body scheme. And all studies on brain structure in homosexual transsexuals indicate intersexuality restricted to the brain. In the same way that synesthesia is the product of cross warring between sensory modalities. It's very hard to describe those experiences or make sense of them. But they are real

um ackshully he's a levantine greek orthodox levantine white man.

I just finished the book, apparently he also refuses to eat any fruit if its presence in the eastern Mediterranean was not historically attested to. Including middle age arrivals like the orange and red apples.

same thing ever since the fall of constantinople

> And all studies on brain structure in homosexual transsexuals indicate intersexuality restricted to the brain.
> "isn't logically sound"
> Literally taking refuge in irrationality despite having rational explanations for things

Why do you do this

>Sex and gender identity refer to two distinct objects
both are harmful social constructions to be dealt with

It could be people think he's muslim.

This is bullshit. You are aware of sexual selection and competition right? You know there are female and male brains. People have to live with their sexual desires. You might strongly desire an attractive women, but do you have what it takes to please her? Or you might want a successful muscular dominant man, but do you have what it takes to please him? Ultimately freedom from desire is a personal journey. Not a process of collectively dismantling some so-called oppressive social structure

>white
MED.

>Just because an experience isn't logically sound doesn't mean it isn't real or significant

Im talking about the difference between pure experience, and what is considered the material equivalent of experience, namely the brain. It is possible to logically circumscribe the one but not the other. Someone taking about the "structure" of the human mind is necessarily speaking metaphorically. The human mind has no structure; it does not even have a location. The brain, yes; the mind, no. Describe for me, in a way that is logically comprehensible, what it means to hear colors, without reference to the brain (its anatomy or physiology)

harmful social constructions, you are just too spooked to see things as they are

How are you going to "deal" with them?

>without reference to the brain
but that is exactly what you need to refer to lmao

So animal mating instincts are "spooks"?

What's your point?

you're asking us to explain something without the one thing that expains it. It's like saying 'explain the tides without reference to the moon'

>Gender identity is thought to result from a compromised body scheme.
Then don't call it gender identity. Cis people don't 'feel' like they're 'really' the sex they are. Gender identity is only had by trans people, which means it's just another word for gender dysphoria. Fucking crypto-Cartesianism runs through all this. There is no true self hidden deep down where no one else can see it.

No I'm asking you to describe not explain.

you'll see ;)

as in like...write a poem about it or something? What are you even asking, isn't description just an unrefined form of explanation?

The Revolution is coming any day now, whew, you'll be sorry then....

I'm quoting from the neuroscience literature. There are sections of brain thought to be responsible for body scheme and its relate to self. These are compromised in this population.

>There is no true self hidden deep down where no one else can see it.

Who know is how exactly?

Describing an experience is not the same thing as explaining it. When I ask you to describe the experience of hearing colors I'm not asking for an explanation of such an experience. I just want to comprehend, for myself, what such an experience is like. Telling me you have cross wiring between sensory modalities (the presumed explanation) doesn't give me any actual sense of what such an experience is actually like.

Right on man

idk. You can evoke an experience through art and hope others get it, or you can explain something in terms of causes and effects.

I don't really understand what you're asking because it seems like neither of those

My basic point is that I can't describe smell to someone who has never smelled. So in dealing with anomalous experiences, we just have to take it for granted that we can't logically circumscribe experience. A person can experience themselves as female even if they are male. It sounds absurd. But is it any more absurd than hearing colors?

Transsexuals are in a tough position. I presume most people see them by sex. Not a big deal. But we shouldn't dismiss their experiences as a prior impossible, even if not easily comprehensible. I'm not saying you are guilty of this. But lots of fools in the media are. It's funny, because it you study neuroscience, you find a lot of experiences (conditions) that are absurd as hell.

>. But we shouldn't dismiss their experiences as a prior impossible, even if not easily comprehensible
But that's not even what I'm saying. With Trans people the obvious thing to do is see if their brains resemble the brains of the opposite sex, isn't it?

Yeah exactly. They turn out to be half way between male and female. With parts that are feminized, parts that are masculine, and parts that are non-masculine. It's a bit of nasty situation because they can't have proper sexual fulfillment, and there is no way to safely masculinize their brains. I'm talking mtf

>They turn out to be half way between male and female. With parts that are feminized, parts that are masculine, and parts that are non-masculine. It's a bit of nasty situation because they can't have proper sexual fulfillment, and there is no way to safely masculinize their brains.
Well that,s fucked up

love how he BTFOs pinker-boy like a brainlet slampiggie with his mathematical masculinity and 4 plate deadlifts.

Yeah they want to be exclusively penetrated like a woman, but there is no hole there for them to be penetrated. So it's the worst kind of sexual frustration. Nature isn't pretty

Synesthesiacs don't literally hear color, an auditor sensation is accompanied by a visual sensation in an atypical way. Not analogous.

this ties into a point that Taleb joked about in fooled by randomness, the 'average' person is about 50% male, 50% female.

Platonist economists are making the children gay.

>biology btfo us so we had to invent something called "gender" so people would take us seriously

This is not true. I've experienced synesthesia. The experience isn't one where you see hear a sound and it is accompanied by a corresponding color. It is one where the color and sound are inexplicably and immediately present as a single sensation. So yes, "hearing color" is exactly what it is. The way you describe it sounds almost as though it were merely "this sound reminds my of this color," or first you hear the sound and next the color pops into your head. This is why researchers have been at pains to point out that these experiences are ineffable. You might logically superimpose the idea that it must be an association. But that has no bearing on the actual subjective experience itself.

You're an idiot. The brain is also biology. And no, we didn't invent gender. Sex-typical behavior and mental states were codified into gender roles long before medical technology that made transition possible were invented.

This was thought provoking.

A friend of mine is trans, and it's been difficult to relate

Read Wittgenstein and expurgate your Cartesian taint. Nothing is hidden.

Actually it depends on a given specific brain.

Maronite Catholic actually

same, Taleb is daddy

right in the feels my dude

Who was in the wrong? Did they actually have a public debate?

I bet godless Ben got btfo by our phoenician flaneur like he always does by literally anyone, including fucking undergraduates, and is mad about it.

he's not med. he's MENA, the rape children of med conquest and but so non white

>A person can experience themselves as female

HOW THE FUCK CAN THEY KNOW WHAT FEMALES FEEL IF THEY ARE A MAN

They can't (even Zizek has pointed this out too). Whatever they believe to be the female experience, is the male experience of how it is to be a woman. Boolean logic leads one to believe a divide like that of gender lies on a scale that can tip to either side, when in fact the divide is a fundamental thing, which in itself at once impedes the knowing of one side by the other. If you're a woman you can only look at things as a woman, even if you want the woman experience of being a man. Also ironic is that SJWs believe sex change operations can remedy this at all, when they recognize it themselves that genitals are hardly defining characteristics of gender disparity.

None of this means Taleb still isn't a massive flamboyant Roman centurion fag (that according to his critics is actually trans-arab). I know where he likes "skin" in the "game" olololol

hey shut up fragilista,

Idk someome got my mom "bed of procrustes" for christmas one year and it was so awful that it was funny

Correct me if I'm wrong, I was under the impression that transitioning was still the best outcome we could regularly achieve for dysphoric people

cutting your cock off has consequences, you are basically useless for 1 year after the operation and you have to dilation dildos everyday so that your fake pussy doesn't heal, many people also lose the ability to orgasm after transitioning, weird infections, and so on, so for many people it makes things even worse

Taleb means student in Arabic. Neat, huh? ^^

No I meant like statistically in terms of rates of depression and suicide, I'm not enough of a brainlet to suggest it would be the same for everyone.
Besides I only meant insofar as HRT and the like. I have a few trans friends and I'm under the impression that actually getting surgery is a lot less common than you would think

>Besides I only meant insofar as HRT and the like. I have a few trans friends and I'm under the impression that actually getting surgery is a lot less common than you would think
i hope it is, sounds horrible

Transitioning (which, ultimately, still leaves you under the uncomfortable position of seeing one side from the other) would be a good solution where the technique was perfect. Take the example of amputating your legs below the knee: regardless of it being a traumatic experience, there are now prosthetic limbs that can almost nullify the disadvantages of not having legs (and even improving particular skills such as running over flat terrain).

Until the technology for transitioning across genders is improved to this point, this is mere placebo, for it does not actually address fundamental things, with heavy psychological implications, such as menstruation and (for the case of female-to-male transitioning) erections and orgasms. Putting transition as a better option than suggesting a change of mindset (e.g teaching it's a-ok to feel like a woman if you are a man and vice-versa, but now you have to deal in a non-invasive with how society deals with this, you know, STRUGGLE), is just falling for the spectacle and a mere commodification of genders. You're trying to solve, by technique, a problem that is not technical at all.

This has been tried for decades and it never worked.

It is, people here don't seem to understand that this wouldn't be accepted medical practice if it were just some SJW thing.

lobotomies were also accepted medical practice at one point, you fragilista.

Harris is such a fucking soyboy, even worse, he mistakes that with being humble and cold headed. Taleb is indeed a fucking genius, making it as trader and then as writer. Harris only wishes he could be as publicly recognizable as Taleb. It is like Amadeus, Taleb being Mozart and Harris being Salieri. Taleb can be larping roman and douchy, but his talent is undeniable.