How do you do it?

newfag to Veeky Forums here but been lurking for a while. An honest question:
How do you do it?

How many books do you read? How do you read so many books? How do you have the time and energy to do it? Is it because you are old and have been doing it for a long time? Are you NEET? Have you actually not read that many books?
How much do you read per day?

This barrage of questions is just to get some response of the average Veeky Forums poster, so I can perhaps motivate myself. I want to read more -- the recommended reading lists on the wiki look so interesting -- but frankly I just don't see how I can make a dent in that without it taking years.

So tell me, how do you become a literary patrician?

The page count depends on a book and it's complexity.
If I'm reading some hard-grained philosophical literature it may be 20 pages a day. If it's some captivating fiction I can make a hundred easily.
>How many books do you read?
One or two a month. Which is hardly "that much". But it also depends.

I don't read books

why would you want to ruin your life like that

Tyler Durden says self destruction is the ultimate form of self expression

By just doing it, there is no other answer. You just sit down, take the book or pdf, and read it.

Sit down and read, dumbass faggot. Instead of making a faggot thread about "how do you read??" you could have sat your twink ass down and read

You start with the right books for your current state of mind and life, then you just continue
don't approach it from a scholarly or aloof sort of perspective
just enjoy the ride
youll feel less and more alone

read short books and graphic novels

>Pic related is aesthetically a western man who has reached personal perfection
You
>"How do I read?"
Epic

>How many books do you read?
Roughly one a week.
>How do you read so many books? How do you have the time and energy to do it?
I mainly read on the train to and from work. Half an hour each way.

How many of "the greats" have you guys read?

>who has reached personal perfection
>a goal to work towards
>asks how people on this board are working towards that goal

>A fictional character is the authority that rules my life

kys
>that face is aesthetic perfection
>you can “reach” a state determined by genetics
kys
pseud kys you can’t learn while on your way to be cattle wagie
all of the one’s the left and right wing don’t rave about, anything that would be too difficult for lit students or professors to make a focus of their studies, anything aesthetic with a soul to it, most works of philosophy that led to Heidegger and Deleuze (the real penultimate philosophers before big boy Uncle Land)

Read
>Bible
>Homerica
>Aechylus
>Virgil and Ovid
>Dante
>Shakespeare
>Joyce
That's it you little lazy lout and you can even use translations

>but frankly I just don't see how I can make a dent in that without it taking years
It will take decades

I read about 80 pages a day,
But I'm a literary theory master and I have to shovel fucking volumes of nonsense theory every week, so that's that

just read what you like and enjoy it
that's what great man did
oh, and challenge yourself

Get an e-reader, or an ebook app on your phone. I went from reading 2 books a year to reading one every week when I got a smartphone.
>But I like physical copies and turning pages and the smell of paper etc
Hey, whatever gets you reading

Remember that Arthur episode where Buster admits he's never finished a book, but it turns out he's a really good reader, he just never found anything that interested him enough? And he finishes reading Robin Hood even faster than Arthur.

I received an MA in English literature from one of the UK's best universities, graduated with a 2:1, and I never read a single book assigned for any of my courses. Not one single text. I couldn't even get all the way through poems. For about a decade prior to starting college I read maybe two books voluntarily, and six years after graduating I've read another 4 or 5. I still pretend I know about literature when talking to people, because I have no other identity.
Not really relevant, but it's nice to get off my chest.

You read, not for some end, not so you can wag your literary knowledge around, but for the beauty in it, pleb.

Just read a fucking book

could be me

fascinating revelation desu

Why did you do this? Why pursue literature in academics if you don’t even like to read?

the best part is
>graduated with a 2:1
>and I never read a single book assigned for any of my courses
>one of the UK's best universities

>suggesting these as the first things a non-reader should attempt

are you trying to make him hate reading? OP should read something that interests him instead of slogging through dense shit he won't care about at all. that comes later

What are some good books to start with?

short genre fiction

Stop watching anime and jerking off so much and you'll find the time

At least that's how it went for me

I liked Do androids dream of electric sheep? and Candide. They are both very short and easy to read and I ended up finishing the first one in a day because I enjoyed it so much