Was Inherent Vice a worthy adaptation?

i recently saw it......even though most of the scenes just consists people sitting down and talking to each other (which i found boring), but i was intrigued by the story, is the same book the same beast? and did you think it was a worthy adaptation overall?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mdlLWziBggM
youtu.be/bv6xVEhtQnc?t=1h42m58s
bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/news-bfi/lists/10-great-overlooked-neo-noirs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I think they made a good job at recriating how reading pynchon feels like
I dont think it was worth making a film about it because it is basically a film adaptation of a book adaptation of big lebowsky

if you're bored by nicely executed dialogue shot by a talented professional I don't recommend reading to you. Have you considered getting lit and jumping off the roof?

PTA said he picked it bc he wanted to make a movie "about Pynchon" and it's the book that's the most close to when/where the man actually lived and so the closest we're gonna get to an autobiography.

In a way I'm glad it exists, as it's a decent movie made of my least fave Pynchon movie, but still want to see a movie of GR or Lot 49. Probably never happen, though. Anyone else think that was TP behind the glass in the pizza scene?

i heard before that PTA wanted to adapt Vineland but he thought it was impossible so he instead adapted Inherent Vice

>but still want to see a movie of GR or Lot 49

funny you said that because someday in the future (if i break into the movie industry) i will plan to make a miniseries adaptation of Lot49, GR i don´t think so since the story it best left of in the book format, kinda like the Watchmen comics, if you take out of it the magic of what made it great it´s all gone but hey it´s my humble opinion on the matter

>Have you considered getting lit and jumping off the roof?

i´m already lit mate

Best of luck, friend. Might I suggest an adaptation of TP's short story "The Secret Integration" first? It's lowkey one of his best works and it'd be way more filmable/accessible.

thanks for the luck buddy and thanks for the suggestion although i can´t make any promises but i will definitely keep it mind (i have yet to read the Slow Learner book for a start)

One of my favourite movies (and as good of an adaption of the book as you're gonna get). I can see that it isn't perfect but I love it. I'm probably biased because I have a sweet spot for both the genre and the era it's set in. Other than that the movie has a lot going for it, great acting, nice cinematography, it's funny. It's the movie I want to watch when I'm hung over. I'm actually rereading the book now.

To make a statement, even the people disliking it have got to admit, Doc and Bigfoot are just perfect.

If you like 70s chill crime noirs, can I recommend Straight Time, The Long Goodbye and Night Moves? All great movies starring epic facial hair-sporting actors.

youtube.com/watch?v=mdlLWziBggM

Did anyone else not like how PTA changed the ending? Loved the movie but damn the ending in the book was perfect.

how was the ending of the book?

Doc by himself driving through the fog.

>straight time
knowing and loving the other two, im positive im gonna dig this. thanks

that´s it? seems like a cop out, now wonder PTA changed the ending

Was the book focused on Doc naive love for Shasta as the movie?

cop out?
he's *literally* driving out of the fog his generation's been stuck in

he's not a cop, he's a private detective

lol

Never read the book
Didn't like the film that much on the first watch, found it hard to follow (brainlet alert)
Watched it again and decided it's PTA's best with The Master

no, sorry both wrong the best is There Will Be Blood. you are worse than brainlet

this

Anything from punch drunk love forward is acceptable. The only stupid opinion is thinking that magnolia or boogie nights are anything else other than a discount scorsese and altman

>most of the scenes just consists people sitting down and talking to each other
That's basically the whole book, too. Did you even read it?

not really, that´s why i made this thread asking if this was a worthy adaptation

Wow thanks, TLG and NM are two of my favorites, definitely gonna look up Straight Time.

DOMO PANEKEKUUUU

No worries, anons. If you have any recs for me in this vein, please let me know! We def need a renaissance of Smooth Noir. I'm assuming you saw The Nice Guys?

Besides a few scenes it was pretty shit. PTA really made no attempt to actually adapt the story to film and instead just copy-and-pasted the book line for line. There's no reason to watch the film when the book exists.

Magnolia is essential Cruise kino

Not noir but other Altman films are great as well (mcCabe & mssMiller and the player).

Copola's The Conversation is from the same period as Night Moves, also with Hackman in it. More espionage than detective tho.

PTA said he watched Hawks' the Big Sleep a lot during the making of IV so that one. The screenplay for it was actually written by Faulkner.

Other than that you have classics which you probably know, Chinatown, the Third Man, Big Lebowski. I'll message if I think of something.

Tame that pussy lmao

Same guy again. Why don't I ever hear people talk about Night Moves? It's so good, near the end the blows just keep coming and you're left dumbstruck. That shot through the floor of the boat and then the ending shot, I was stunned. Great music too.
And by God, Gene Hackman. One of Greats for me, especially in that era. Such a shame that he doesn't do that much anymore.

The Nice Guys was great but ultimately Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was better I'd say.

If you're looking for literature of that era, read Farina's Been Down So Long.

>Same guy again. Why don't I ever hear people talk about Night Moves? It's so good, near the end the blows just keep coming and you're left dumbstruck. That shot through the floor of the boat and then the ending shot, I was stunned. Great music too.
Downloading it now, thanks for the rec

PTA was smart in giving a happy ending because throughout the whole movie normies were confused as hell. People hate paying theater tickets for bad endings, and to make them go through a Pynchon narrative to end up in a bad ending would have been disastrous.

Yeah, I really thought it was masterful look at middle age, didn't go for any cheap emotional arcs with Hackman's wife's infidelity or any of that. Felt really naturalistic. Plus the fucking seaplane fight at the end just kicked ass and a great soundtrack.

Need to check out Farina soon, I only know him from the dedication in GR but any buddy of TP is worth looking into. Thanks!

I'll ask again. Is the novel focused on Shasta and Doc like the movie?

Yes. There are several flashbacks to their hippie hijinks.

Movie is trash. Pynchon is also trash. Pure ideology.

The Friends of Eddie Coyle might be up your alley, although I would hesitate to call it noir

Also, if you listen to the Marc Maron WTF interview with PTA around the release of IV, it sounds to me like he's trying not to admit Pynchon helped, or at least weighed in on, writing the screenplay. Maron presses him on whether Pynchon helped and PTA is extremely evasive about it. So I wonder if the new ending was even developed with Pynchon.

youtu.be/bv6xVEhtQnc?t=1h42m58s

(It's a conspiracy theory, I know, but what would a Pynchon thread be without one??)

Hell yes. I've got a screenshot from it as my Goodreads avatar!

Thanks, man. Love Altman, love The Conversation. I think this is where I first heard of Night Moves, I'm slowly working my way through this list. Got too many damn books to read. bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/news-bfi/lists/10-great-overlooked-neo-noirs

kek awesome

>Anyone else think that was TP behind the glass in the pizza scene?

Nah, that dude was too young to be Pynchon. Rumor has it he was writing on a desk in a scene set in Doc's place.

magnolia sucks so much, it's probably the most pretentious movie these eyes have ever seen. holy fuck those songs.

Respect the cock, and tame the cunt!

the movie felt less goofy than the book

If Pynchon is ideology, then what is Harry Putter

What are some good noir books?

Great movie but man was that book shit

This

As much as the movie captures the melancholic, hazy side of the era, it's lacking in the more fun, colourful bouts of sex and drug use dowsed in humour of the less subtle variety.

The whole thing feels like an underwhelming trip; like having a shit time on edibles.

That being said, I very much enjoy the movie.

>Yeah, I really thought it was masterful look at middle age, didn't go for any cheap emotional arcs with Hackman's wife's infidelity or any of that. Felt really naturalistic. Plus the fucking seaplane fight at the end just kicked ass and a great soundtrack.
Watched it last night, have nothing much to add to what you already said. Just a great film. Weird that it's apparently so overlooked.

>it's a Melanie Griffith scene
>mfw

lmao good luck nigga i already wrote the screenplay

Seriously though we have to support each other as independent filmmakers, so all the best to you, dude

Can also second Straight Time. Dustin Hoffman is great in it.

Not 70s, but similar atmosphere: The Coens' Blood Simple. That film had me on the edge of my seat throughout, genuinely unnerving.

Magnolia is fun but nah dude Boogie Nights is something special. Not PTA's best but definitely the best of his early films.

Unironically his best is Punch Drunk Love. That film gets better every time I watch it and it makes me upset knowing Adam Sandler doesn't do more film roles like it (Meyerwitz Stories on Netflix was sort of what I was looking for though).

thanks user!

Yah, Im re-reading IV right now and every other line of dialog is funny.

Also, what's the deal with Saunch's television obsession?

" !"

Mate, we don't even have a word for that level of obscure abstract ideology. Postsupermutantideology is the term I use when I involuntarily enter discussion about Harold Potter with any college-aged literary dame but I don't expect everyone to abide by my vernacular.