When you use the phrase "free time", does that refer to gratis (free as in free beer), or libre (free as in free speech...

When you use the phrase "free time", does that refer to gratis (free as in free beer), or libre (free as in free speech. )

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/doc/fsfs3-hardcover.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

free as in vacant
www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6GDdKrQ8EI

The latter.

really....

who knows

those are all instruments used by Capital to slice up and eat your brain, though, so the "botnet" terminology is quite close to the truth.

free as in free to dent your skull with a fckin hammer

Adorno's analysis of the term "free time" is the best. He shows how even time is colonized by capitalism because "free" time becomes parasitic on "normal" time, time itself, which is work time. "Free" time or "downtime" is the bare minimum necessary that the machine needs to continue working again when "free" time is over. There is really only work time. Time is work, time is capital.

Before capitalism, time was time, and work was meaningful, and the concept of "free," meaningless or frivolous time, would have been disgusting.

>Before capitalism, time was time, and work was meaningful
Unfalsifiable bollocks, you can't generalize human societies like that. If anything the colonization of time started waay before capitalism, i.e church bells.

i came up with that shit when i was a 4yo. Adorno? more like Shmorno amirite

If free time doesn't exist why do you have time to write brainlet posts like that

you don't understand, he was forced to shitpost, because somewhere somebody is paying somebody to do something for a while

that is nice, thanks for sharing

speech tax when

Capitalism is a historical process. It's not like suddenly all of the things that characterize capitalism appeared out of nowhere. Capitalist tendencies like commodity fetishism began developing as long ago as Classical Greece.

I think Deobrd's division of time into "cyclical" and "irreversible" has relevance here. Pastoral nomads act in undefined time; they move from place to place without keeping track of how many times they have been there, or planning when they will return. They live, so to speak, in the present, which constantly reasserts itself through the ritual gestures and similar behaviors they perform at each given site. Their locality contains time, so to speak. The advent of agriculture created a new conception of time, and this conception of time (the cyclical) gives rise to labor. Basic human life becomes dependent on the seasons, and must conform itself to their conditions. Those who organized the farmers, the "masters," owned history as well as the portion of the harvest they appropriated. The arrogation of surplus agricultural products allowed them to live "above" cyclical time, and the greatest of them, recorded these exploits. This is the beginning of history, and the beginning of irreversible time. Those who don't need to labor materially instead labor ideally, they first create myths (prior to the advent of writing) and then histories (after) that explain and justify their position as "guaranteeing" the continuance of cyclical time, i.e. the necessity of both productive agricultural labor as well as their organization of it.

But this is a really rough paraphrase, Debord spends much more time on this in "Society of the Spectacle."

> work was meaningful
Excuse me? Work for a living was something unworthy of mention in ancient times, go read Arendt. What's animal in humans is born when they are born, and dies when they die, what's human in humans is what isn't tied to their living.

Marx's deification of secular behavior, and pathetic state of modern age that can only offer us a vague “success” that supposedly comes from working hard in a properly chosen area as a point of existence are the reasons it is though about the wrong way.

bad post but nice trips

anyone read his book Free Software, Free Society? have a signed copy somewhere but never got around to reading it, is it any good?
it's also available online because the book is free as in freedom
the man may be autistic but his stance on copyright even for his own work is admirable
>Verbatim copying and distribution of this entire book are permitted
>worldwide, without royalty, in any medium, provided this notice is
>preserved. Permission is granted to copy and distribute translations
>of this book from the original English into another language provided
>the translation has been approved by the Free Software Foundation
>and the copyright notice and this permission notice are preserved on
>all copies.
gnu.org/doc/fsfs3-hardcover.pdf

Say what you will about Stallman but his convictions are genuinely held

tiempo libre - free time

I like working. Contrast to leisure is necessary for me to appreciate leisure. If it's sunny all the time I will stop caring for the sun, finding all sorts of inconveniences about it.
>im tired of covering my eyes
>my skin hurts
>i cant stop sweating
>id take off my shirt but that would make it worse
If it rains for a few days and then I see the sun, it is a welcome face because it was contrasted by something opposite of it. That is all to say, when I have more than a few days off at a time, I come to find the very experience fruitless and go stir crazy about all the things I supposedly felt that I enjoyed previous to that moment.
>Reading?
>I don't want to read, I spent all yesterday reading, and the day before that, and the day before that
>I can't enjoy anything anymore!

"free" as in free from all constraints

>Before capitalism, time was time, and work was meaningful
this is the absolute dumbest shit ive ever heard. maybe this was true in the garden of fucking eden, but never after

>as in free from all constraints
It is not that, either.

All I can is that this is strong evidence that Adorno is for midwits of the highest caliber

All 3 at the same time, or simultaneously
>smugLawrencefromofficespace.png

Tiempo libre, you fucking cunt.