However does one improve on his reading efficiency and speed...

However does one improve on his reading efficiency and speed? I'm interested in so many books but it takes me ages to finish them. I think I struggle with being focused on it. Any tips?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cCpD2_yGYOU
youtube.com/watch?v=KfbuUycffhQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You get better at reading by reading more. But like with everything else, it also relies on what you were born with.

HOL UP IS HE GON HIT DAT FOOL WIT DA HILT?

Stop posting on Veeky Forums and start reading you mong

>inb4 "why is he trying to hit her with the wrong side of axe"
>inb4 reply "it's a metaphor for stabbing himself morally"

explain lizaveta then

she's a metaphor for dracula

>dumb whore walks into a murder scene catching the murderer red handed
>expects not to get shanked

Take xer's advice, more than anything. I think Uni helped me, because I was such a disgusting NEET before I went - but it's all about sticking to 10, 20, maybe 50(!) pages a day. If you don't do that many, always try to read before bed or while you're commuting. It's well worth it, in the long run.

No need to read shit that is not yet legible to you. Instead, try to stem out from what interests you - and but so maybe challenge yourself with one of those hard Russian novels once in a while.

/thread

Reading is limited by the rate at which you process information. That is basically what you're born with. However, to reach that limitation or to even approach it (if desired) you need to be familiar with every word, phrase, etc.

If you understood 99% of all words in a book, you'd still be looking up words roughly twice per page. So actively work on your vocab because even understanding 99% of a text isn't that good.

why would you have a children's cartoon reaction image saved? are you 12?

>So actively work on your vocab

there are actually people who are so illiterate they have to actively comb the dictionary? holy shit is lit overrun by foreigners

>spomge bob for kids explicitly
Do you think Ren and Stimpy is for 12 year olds too? It obviously started out for stoners, but sold as a kid's show. Lots of early Spongebob is too freaky for children.

I'm pretty sure if it's a cartoon no self respecting adult is gonna watch it
why are you even contesting this? do you watch my little pony and think it's actually for adults too?

Spongebob was highly influenced by Ren and Stimpy. I wouldn't show the latter to my young child. You're obviously too busy adulting to realise the sexual innuendo, grotesque close-ups and painful scenes in Sponju Bobu. Lots of cartoonists, even early Simpsons, were good at being covertly disgusting. I haven't watched cartoons in a while, but I, as a literary student, see their appeal and place in art.

Also, this shit would terrify me as a child:
youtube.com/watch?v=cCpD2_yGYOU
youtube.com/watch?v=KfbuUycffhQ

More stuff per line. If I set the lettering on my e reader to the smallest I can read, I read faster. Something about not having to go back and forth as often.

>do you watch my little pony and think it's actually for adults too?
I meant to show you that Spongu Bubba is for all ages. And some of the more extreme or "adult" parts usually go over a kid's head. If you watch any kid's movie, there's usually some "jokes" in there for the parents, so they're not too bored. But, I think, Scourer Bib transcends this. Have you seriously never looked back to an old movie or show you liked and picked up on strange, implied homoeroticism, etc.? Spongebob, too, has this gay subtext.

Anyway, I have no qualms with adults who watch MLP - I think the writers have made a conscious decision to market it to autistic weeb men anyway. And good for them! But Spung Bub Short Shorts is to MLP what Pynchon is to, say, some fantasy YA writer. The former is embedded in strange drug culture, intertextuality, the Bizarre and oft times transgressive; where MLP is more about platitudes, accessibility and prettiness. These two forms of art are gateways for people to self-reflect, or, for Sponge Robert, destroy, deconstruct, satirise.

I used to read rather quickly but it's deteriorated. It's a huge problem for me because I have been trying to read books to further my education and I'm going through them extremely slowly.

I noticed I constantly go back a few words/sentences when reading because of not storing what I'd just read in memory.

Attempts to simply continue reading without doing this result in my eyes looking at the page instead of the words as my thoughts drift off into trying to process what I'd read rather than taking in new information, and so I don't actually store the knowledge.

I also find it extremely difficult to read or write and listen at the same time, which has meant that I never took notes when I was in school due to seeing the advantage of having a complete understanding as more valuable vs an incomplete, but permanent one. Conversely, reading anything aloud makes it likewise impossible to remember and I must re-read it silently (or pre-read it beforehand) in order to understand it.

The material I need to be reading is not difficult or hard language (they're more /diy/ than Veeky Forums) but I am nevertheless chewing through them at a rate and amount of effort that I find unacceptable... under 10 pages an hour that leaves me wanting to stop after 30-40 minutes because of frustration. I have over a dozen books I need to chew through as soon as possible, and over the last year I'd only read two books in their entirety.

not the person you replied to but I'm currently reading two books and supplementing that with reading then writing down every word and definition out of The Lexicon by William F Buckely.

I'm just trying to expand my vocab using a smallish dictionary so that I will no longer have to look up words in the future.

>I used to read rather quickly but it's deteriorated.
same here, I think it's mostly due to me wanting to squeeze every drop of meaning out of every sentence rather than flowing naturally with the text.
I compensate by reading more, but it feels forced.