How's the writing career coming, Veeky Forums?

How's the writing career coming, Veeky Forums?

Kind of been leaving off to focus on my not killing myself day job

Poorly desu, been in a state of writers block for about 8 months now

Pretty good so far

Im still just privately showing people but people seem to like them

Im gonna make it Veeky Forums

I think that thread where the NEET confronts his father with his literary ambitions killed the last remaining bit of hope I had

Non existent. But at least now trying to write doesnt seem completly worthless. I have come to see it as something I would actually like to do but I just can't get my shit together. I guess I'm slowly crawling my way out of crippling nihilism into a more fun version of it! Maybe I'm just manic right now

I'm getting paid $500 to ghost write an article for a fairly think tank, so that's something.

Howd this come about

you know there is no way that's true right; dramaticized

A friend called me a pathetic failure of a human being and asked me why I couldn't just pull myself up by my bootstraps like his friend who is a blind man that was born during a gunfight in some shithole third world country but is now a successful paralegal or something. I told him to can the useless rhetoric and find out himself, and he said lol ok, I have plenty of writing work if you're serious, might as well give you a try, lmao.

Recently I abandoned the pursuit of creative writing, since that should be left to those who have things to say. Instead, I started translating Beckett's plays into Spanish, specifically Endgame and That Time. Will do more as I finish them.

Fuck

My dream job tbfh

Trying to start slow, don't want to get too ambitious yet. Working on something for my College writing contest and otherwise just practicing

It's gonna be a slow burn, but it should be nice.

Writing can be a hobby.

(Not true, by the way)

Anything can be a hobby.

Okay, but you'll never be good at it

I think I have made an important discovery about the nature of my writing and art. I tried to employ that discovery today in the writing of a poem. Hopefully something good comes of it.

the only publication i was proud of to actually show anyone happened like 10 months ago now.
No word back from things I entered back in October as of yet.

I've been stagnant.

And? It's a hobby.

W-well reddit liked my book. It wasn't anything special, but a few thousand people enjoyed it. Never had that many readers before and now people actively follow what I write so uhh... I guess I've been hopeful ever since that happened. Worst part is that I can't share it with anyone (online and irl) because the book is really edgy and anime.

>Wrote a few short stories and 2 500 page+ novels in fucking high school
>All of it was pure shit but I got some props in the way of a teacher liking a script I wrote so much she gave me extra credit when none was offered on the assignment and my AP english teacher telling me she was sure I'd be published one day
>Published one of my short stories in the college literature journal with the editors calling it their favorite work of the semester
>Became an editor at that journal second quarter of freshman year
>English prof asks me to switch majors to English
>Turn her down, continue in psych and pre-med
>Get bogged down in pre-med and other activities for all of college
>Have to quit the lit club
>Stop writing and reading as calc and ochem takes over
>Go years without progress
>Graduate in 2014
>Work an easy 9 - 5 job
>Get back into reading and writing for 2 years
>Read and write for hours every single day
>Hard to get back into it; first short story takes me months and isn't very good
>Join a writing workshop
>Starting writing more and more
>Figure I'll write a bunch of short stories, edit them, then submit them en masse to journals to try and get publishing off the ground
>Write 10 - 15 good stories before grad school sucks me away again; work on none of them
>Grad school is unbelievably busy
>Full time work at a psych hospital to pay for tuition along with full time grad work
>Can't read/write much
>Send a couple stories off
>Get rejected
>Too much of a pussy to edit and send off more
>Feeling everything I taught myself about prose fading away
>My good short story drafts are just collecting dust on a google drive

One bright spot is I have way more free time this semester and next semester, even with work, so I might be able to start again. Biggest hurdle for me is that I need to read an absolute shit load to write anything decent so I need to get back into reading and also watching great films. To cultivate the soil of creativity and all that shit. I just don't know if I can.

A friend of mine is telling me he has an investor who wants to make a movie, and my buddy wants me to do the script for it. He's calling Tuesday so we can work on a pitch. Maybe this is my key back into the swing of things.

Pray for me Veeky Forums.

rooting for you bud

Effexor is really fucking with me. Days just fucking speed past. I honestly don't know how I ended up just looking at my screen all day.

I had one amateur-ish short story published when I was 17, and haven't sent anything to a magazine since. I'd like to get back into it and start sending stuff out eventually though.