How am I supposed to read this properly. Without being a fedora

How am I supposed to read this properly. Without being a fedora.

why is half this board comically arrogant and the other half needs to ask people how to read a book. are we seeing some sort of large scale narcissistic-borderline relationship play out in the collective board psyche

t. autist who doesn't understand sarcasm, irony or self-aggrandizing self-parody

you get a Catholic study Bible and be mature
read a poetry book like it's poetry, read a manual like it's instructions. Don't go looking for poetry in the law section of this library.

fedoras look for science in poetic books and go "ah ha!". So just read the Bible in the correct contexts and you won't be retarded

Don't take it literally and treat it with the intellectual sophistication it deserves.

I can't really say since I knew the stories from my early childhood, but I would get familiar with at least the Gospel of John and one other Gospel. I'd read a couple of the the Pauline epistles and then I'd go back to the Old Testament to get a good understand of it. If I were you, I'd read from the Old Testament: Genesis, Exodus, Joshua, Judges 1 & 2 Samuel, 1 & 2 Kings, Job, Isaiah, Daniel, Jonah, and Malachi. After that, I think you could understand nearly everything in the New Testament. At this point you'll probably know more about the Bible than most people.

Become Orthodox. Be part of the living Church. Don't make it an intellectual exercise. Turning something communal into an isolated act of self-gratification is the essence of the fedora.

>Don't take it literally and treat it with the intellectual sophistication it deserves.
>"Intellectual sophistication" is to a priori reject what a book says about itself, the claims made by the tradition in which the book was written and compiled, and the claims made by the tradition that preserved it
wew

this.

put your glasses on if you need them. sit in a well lighted room. open book to page one and read until you get tired then mark your place and take a break.

This, but Catholic

>>"Intellectual sophistication" is to a priori reject what a book says about itself, the claims made by the tradition in which the book was written and compiled, and the claims made by the tradition that preserved it
Intellectual sophistication is to ignore the latter traditions that ruined a subtle philosophy of love and turned it into a cult and tool of state. Before Mormons or Protties, there was the original council of brainlets: Nicea.

Read the book of Ephesians first, as it serves as a manifesto of Christian belief and practice. It touches theological concepts such as predestination, election, and more. Given that it is one of Paul's (self-described "apostle to the Gentiles") letters to the early Church, it is illuminating as to how the earliest Christians practiced their faith; this is important, because many denominations have introduced theological and practical innovations--for better or worse--that have served to take the Church out of the primitive, original state established by Jesus Christ and the apostles. The book of Ephesians contains Paul's instructions to the early Church at Ephesus on a number of different topics, and I believe that it is a great place to start for someone looking to begin a serious Bible study.

Also, I strongly recommend reading KJV and keeping an authoritative commentary on hand. John Gill's 'Exposition of the Entire Bible' has been particularly useful to me, almost like having an elder-on-demand.

Full disclosure:
>t. Primitive Baptist in the American South

The books of the Bible treat all other books of the Bible as historically true. Both Jesus and Paul reference Adam as an actual man.

hush, Baptist.

I'm Orthodox.

I'm the Baptist. God bless you, papist.

well your 100% literal reading of the Bible tells me you're a brainlet so my recommendation stands

I'm not a papist, I'm a Platonist. And you can't tell or coerce God into doing, you can only recognize God in what is done.

>your 100% literal reading of the Bible
I don't believe 100% of the Bible is literal. Nobody does. There's poetry, allegory, and metaphor. You're distracting from the fact that you don't have an answer for Christ and Paul talking about Adam as a real person.

There is not one Church Father who says that the history presented in scripture is not true.

>I'm not a papist, I'm a Platonist.
lmao

>you can't tell or coerce God into doing, you can only recognize God in what is done.
I don't believe that anyone has suggested that God can be coerced into anything. What is the relevance of your statement?

>I don't believe that anyone has suggested that God can be coerced into anything. What is the relevance of your statement?
>God bless you

Shove your god bless yous up your ass, cultists.

Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head. Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good. - Romans 12:20-21

I swear to motherfuckin Odin you all bible quoting don't have the sense granted to a cat.

Just please read your statement out loud to yourself, then reflect on why you made the effort of posting it.

okay I have my answer. how does it compare with yours?

God bless

user, you have me there.

that is a tautology and i hope you know it, and aren't just being a mean carnivore dangling meat in front of a vegan

It's all allegory. The writings of ancient wise men who barely could explain their profound, but abstract, concepts.