Borges

What is his best short story from a philosophical point of view?

Other urls found in this thread:

kwarc.info/teaching/TDM/Borges.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Uqbar was the most profound to me.

Maybe Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius, Library of Babel, Aleph, or Death and the Compass.

The Selfish Giant

I enjoyed Deutsches Requiem as a subtle btfo of nazis
>And then I realized that those people that were on the side of Germany, that they never thought of German victories or the German glory. What they really liked was the idea of the Blitzkrieg, of London being on fire, of the country being destroyed. As to the German fighters, they took no stock in them. Then I thought, well now Germany has lost, now America has saved us from this nightmare, but since nobody can doubt on which side I stood, I'll see what can be done from a literary point of view in favor of the Nazis. And then I created the ideal Nazi. Of course, no Nazi was ever like that, they were all full of self pity; when they were on trial no one thought of saying, "Yes, I'm guilty, I ought to be shot; why not, this is as it should be and I would shoot you if I could." Nobody said that. They were all apologising and crying...

Allegory of the Cave.

if you can prove that The Aleph has any philosophical value at all, i'll venmo you 10 dollars

>The Selfish Giant
>Allegory of the Cave
>Borges Short Story

Parmenides was right.

I don't want your money.

And cut the trip, fag

That would be either Tion or The Congress.

awww hell naw, not this racist motherfucker again!

>The Congress was Borges' favourite of his stories, or one of his favourites:

>If of all my stories I had to save one, I would probably save the "The Congress", which at the same time is the most autobiographical (the one richest in memories) and the most imaginative.

>—Jorge Luis Borges

Was he right?

What are his best and worst short story collections? And are his essays worth reading?

I’d say maybe Pierre Menard is of the most philosophical interest. Although Tlön has lots of entertaining philosophical ideas.

Ficciones collects his earliest, and probably best, stories. Labyrinth has a good selections from Ficciones and El Aleph. His essays are often just as, if not more, entertaining than his stories. You get a little sample of them in Labyrinths too. The collected non-fiction is great, but Seven Nights is a good little intro to his non-fiction.

The Immortal

>Achieve immortality
>Realize that mortality is what gives life meaning

I read Pierre Menard as written by Borges, and honestly it’s nothing more than a vain parody of French authors written by a bitter Argentine.

But then I read Pierre Menard as written by Pierre Menard, and was absolutely shocked at its depth and humour, both as a commentary on postmodernism and the writings of Foucault and Barthes, as well as a subtle deconstruction of the historical positivism that plagued Borge’s time, and by transitive property, his works.

Brodies Report, uqbar or the one about the nazi who is about to be executed.

>one about the nazi who is about to be executed.
you mean the jew (Hladik) about to be executed by nazis

Name?

The Secret Miracle

>honestly it’s nothing more than a vain parody of French authors
You known it was published almost 30 years before Death of the Author?

Yes and no

Now that is some quality

It’s only one paragraph, but no one’s yet mentioned “On Exactitude in Science”

kwarc.info/teaching/TDM/Borges.pdf

No, I mean the one about how nazis dindu nufin.

The only right answer is The theologians

Explain.